My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, October 31, 2005

Autographs

Monday, October 31, 200510:58:00 AM EST
Feeling Chillin'



Bill, the Wildcat ( http://journals.aol.com/knightbek/TheWildcatsLair/ ) brought up something about autographs when he commented below. Bill mentioned that he has some signed books. Another, big collectors item! I do have ummm, not alot, but a few books signed lol. I have one signed by Lou Ferrigno, one from Anne McCaffrey, and one from Harry Carey Jr. (the cowboy) called Company of Heroes, which I enjoyed so much I gave it to an actor friend that I knew would read it and he said, "that's how it really was for the hollywood cowboy!"

I collect photos because of a few reasons. One being the amount of space they take up. I have 3 ring binders and plastic sleeves that I keep the photos in and you can fit alot in those without taking up alot of room. Another reason is I have this "thing" for pictures, be it professional or ones that i can take thru the lens of my own camera.

I did find a site that lists alot of book signings, (
http://www.geocities.com/leecoke/index.html) but again.. i just don't have the room. Wish I did there are a few authors I'd love to have!!
As i mentioned in an earlier journal page, I managed to get my first 2 astronaut signatures.. most likey the only ones I'll ever have as most of their prices are "out in space"!


I've collected autographs very slowly over many many (ugh..many) years. I never wrote for an autograph without that person having a special meaning to me. It's something you don't always think about you know? I wouldn't say I had lots and lots of them.. but they were precious to me. I never once wrote a "I like you.. would you send me a picture" letter. I did exactly what those that write about "collectors" say NOT to do! Many were 2 and 3 page typed letters!

When I lost my job in California, no one wanted to hire someone over 35 and so I was driven to sell off many autographs that i can never get back because they've passed away. I was grateful I had them to keep me going but at the same time I felt like i was selling little piecesof my being. Soon I had sold all my furniture and all the autographs that weren't "personalized" and had no choice but to move to NJ with my brother. Now "I" consist of a computer and a number of boxes of movies and my one 3 ring binder left of autographs that i didn't sell. I sometimes feel like I don't even exist. What will anyone see or touch to know I existed? Not much. I hope my son likes whatever autographs I have when "the time comes", and my second wish would be that he finds the story I wrote (trilogy?) called Kesterwood Forest. As things stand right now, that will be all of "me" thats left.

I think it's great that so many in J-Land are either writers or potential writers.. when their time comes there will be lots of writings to read that will tell someone what the author was about. No, No, i don't mean autobiographies.. but the feeling and creation that was going on in their minds when they put the written word down on paper. The author isn't the Vampire or the Giant or the Sorcerer, or even the Woman Looking for Love... but they are the heart behind the characters and the story that unfolds. Weather intentional or not.. it tells alot about the person, and part of that person lives on. What a nice thought.

Bill also mentioned Sci-Fi/ Fantasy conventions.. "been there done that!" lol.. I think I'll write a bit on that later in the day!! (but don't even THINK I was one of those dressing up in costume for the convention and walking around talking Klingonese! NOT!)


Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home