My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, December 19, 2005

My Favorite "Dame"

I received a movie in the mail i had sent for, The Ladies in Lavender.

I know many probably haven't even heard of it but it has my favorite actress in it, Dame Maggie Smith so I ordered it.I've loved Maggie Smith for a long time. One of my all time favorite movies of her's is "Mruder by Death". That was such a funny movie. If you want a good laugh watch it some time. It's in black and white, and a spoof on the old time "detectives" like Nick and Nora Charles, Charlie Chan, and Mrs. Marble. The stars in it are all outstanding.

Eileen Brennan .... Tess Skeffington
Truman Capote .... Lionel Twain (side note: Lionel Twain lived at Two Two Twain)
James Coco .... Inspector Milo Perrier
Peter Faulk.... Sam Diamond
Alec Guinness .... Jamesir Bensonmum (yes, Obwan! playing a blind butler! he's hysterical!)
Elsa Lanchester.... Miss Jessica Marbles
David Niven .... Dick Charleston
Peter Sellers.... Inspector Sidney Wang
Maggie Smith .... Mrs. Dora Charleston
Nancy Walker .... Yetta
Estelle Winwood .... Miss Withers
James Cromwell .... Marcel
Richard Narita .... Willie Wang

It's a movie worth watching.. or rewatching~

If there were an actress I could ever meet it would be Maggie Smith. I think more then anything I'd love to see her on stage. Here are a few of her "many faces" and her movie credits.. Of course most young people know her as Mrs McGonagall from Harry Potter.



Pushers Needed (2005) (announced)
Keeping Mum (2005) .... Grace Hawkins
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) .... Minerva McGonagall
Ladies in Lavender. (2004) .... Janet
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004) .... Professor Minerva McGonagall
My House in Umbria (2003) (TV) .... Mrs. Emily Delahunty
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002) (as Dame Maggie Smith) .... Professor Minerva McGonagall
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (2002) .... Caro Eliza Bennett
Gosford Park (2001) .... Constance Trentham
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) .... Professor Minerva McGonagall
David Copperfield (1999) (TV) .... Betsey Trotwood
All the King's Men (1999) (TV) .... Queen Alexandra
Curtain Call (1999) .... Lily Marlowe
The Last September (1999) .... Lady Myra Naylor
Tea with Mussolini (1999) .... Lady Hester
RandomWashington Square (1997) .... Aunt Lavinia Penniman
The First Wives Club (1996) .... Gunilla Garson Goldberg
Richard III (1995) .... Duchess of York
Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit (1993) .... Mother Superior
The Secret Garden (1993) .... Mrs. Medlock
Suddenly, Last Summer (1993) (TV) .... Violet Venable
Sister Act (1992) .... Mother Superior
Memento Mori (1992) (TV) .... Mrs. Mabel Pettigrew
Hook (1991) .... Granny Wendy/Middle-Aged Wendy
Romeo-Juliet (1990) (voice) .... Rozaline
The Lonely Passion of Judith Hearne (1987) .... Judith Hearne
"Talking Heads" (1987) (mini) TV Series .... Susan (episode "Bed Among the Lentils")
A Room with a View (1985) .... In Florence - Charlotte Bartlett, a chaperon
A Private Function (1984) .... Joyce Chilvers
Lily in Love (1984) .... Lily Wynn
Mrs. Silly (1983) (TV) .... Mrs. Silly
The Missionary (1982) .... Lady Isabel
Ames Evil Under the Sun (1982) .... Daphne Castle
Better Late Than Never (1982) .... Miss Anderson
Clash of the Titans (1981) .... Thetis
Quartet (1981) .... Lois Heidler
California Suite (1978) .... Visitors from London - Diana Barrie
Death on the Nile (1978) .... Miss Bowers
Murder by Death (1976) .... Mrs. Dora Charleston
Love and Pain and the Whole Damn Thing (1973) .... Lila Fisher
Travels with My Aunt (1972) .... Aunt Augusta
The Millionairess (1972) (TV) The Merchant of Venice (1972) (TV) .... Portia
Oh! What a Lovely War (1969) .... Music Hall Star
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969) .... Jean Brodie
The Seagull (1968) (TV) .... Irina Arkadina
Hot Millions (1968) .... Patty Terwilliger
Man and Superman (1968) (TV) The Honey Pot (1967) .... Sarah Watkins
Much Ado About Nothing (1967) (TV) .... Beatrice
Othello (1965) .... Desdemona
Young Cassidy (1965) .... Nora
The Pumpkin Eater (1964) .... Philpott
The V.I.P.s (1963) .... Miss Mead
Go to Blazes (1962) .... Chantal
Hay Fever (1960) (TV)
Nowhere to Go (1958) .... Bridget Howard
Child in the House (1956) (uncredited) .... Party guest


I just wanted to share this fabulous Actress with anyone who reads my journal.
If you haven't had a chance to enjoy her you should put it on your "to do " list, she's well worth the time and effort.

She was great in Ya Ya Sisterhood, and two other of my favorites are My house in Umbria and Tea with Mussolini.

For now I think I will go watch Ladies in Lavender.. I get two "dames" for the price of one movie! Dame Maggie Smith and Dame Judith Dench!



This is a drawing I tried to do of Dame Maggie Smith.

2 Comments:

Blogger V said...

Maggie truly is wonderful!
And, "Murder by Death" is truly funny!
V

3:51 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I've seen many of her movies and just love her. One of my favorites is "My House in Umbria". That was wonderful as is everything on HBO!

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home