My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, February 19, 2007

A Moment in Wonder-land

I know I talk of books I've read or movies I love a lot... it's part of me, you'd better get use to it if you are a regular at my journal. I do it so that my mind stays off of other things that keep me depressed... it helps.. somewhat.
My last few posts were mostly books and movies and when Astarth mentioned that she forgets things and names much as I do my mind began to wander.. Often at this house we are the same when it comes to names.. be it characters, movies, book titles or real names of actors.
"Oh, did you know that what's his name is in that movie we saw the other day. He was also in.. ummm.. that movie about horses."
That would be a typical sentence used in this house.
My mind wandered on....
I began to wonder what it must feel like for an author to watch his/her book "come to life" as a movie?
Do they get to watch it being made? and mostly.. how do they feel inside when they first see their favorite character standing there before them? What would Tolkien have felt when he first laid eyes on Gandalf, or Frodo? In that first moment seeing them, before they could utter a word of the script. Would it take his breath away? Would he tear up inside? Would he ever again look at the actor portraying his characters in the same way? Could he see them and not think of his beloved characters?
Heart be still.
I found myself sitting, looking out my window with my eyes beginning to tear up.
Abbercorn.. oh what I would give to see him just once. To touch him. To believe such a person could exist, even for just a moment in time.
The name Abbercorn would mean nothing to anyone reading this, because he is a character that was born in my mind...and my heart. But, he would be the one I'd want to meet.
I sat there for some time feeling what I thought It might be like to meet someone who only existed somewhere inside of me.
My mind continued to wander..
Having known DeForest Kelley, and having been on a movie set while he filmed, I had a clear picture in my mind of the what the setting would be like. People buzzing around getting set for the shot, the camera men and lighting people making everything just right.
I remembered when DeForest walked out into the scene that I was watching and the overwhelming feeling inside that I had just met Dr. McCoy! It was a glorious feeling... but McCoy was not of my making, not someone that I had created. But I did feel I had met the Real McCoy, and it did make him VERY REAL for a brief moment. Breathtaking.. simply breathtaking!
My mind seemed to switch gears on me and I began to remember the only time I had met Anne McCaffrey. As she signed a book for me I asked her if one of her characters (Master Harper Robinton) was fashioned after anyone she knew in real life. She responded by telling me, "he's my neighbor in Ireland".
Although her books have not been made into movies, I now wonder if when she sees her neighbor, does she see the character she made from him? Or the neighbor? While speaking with him, does she ever inwardly think, that's exactly what Robinton would say? ! If I ever have the opportunity to meet Anne McCaffrey again, I hope I remember to ask her this exact question.
Strange how a simple comment to my post would set me off in such a way... and that I had to write it down quickly while I was still full of the emotions that filled me so instantly.
I guess it was really a combination of that comment from Astarth and the books I am currently reading, (Inkheart/Inkspell) where someone can read characters out of a book and have them standing there before them. In this case, most (not all) that were read out of a book are not the sort of person you'd relish meeting.. however, meeting one of the good guys or one very special character would be fascinating, to say the least.
One thing is for certain.. that person/ character couldn't disappoint you.. after all it was created from within, given all that you wanted him/her to be.

12 Comments:

Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Well, I read this posting and sighed heavily. I would love to watch someone interpret my work. I enjoy being in a writers' group and having someone read my stuff out loud, giving it the ooomph.

I once wrote a story about a woman who seduces a man, tying him to her bed, then coming at him with a razor blade....the whole thing written with thick sadomasochistic overtones. A dowdy middle age woman read the story out loud, and sank her teeth into it with lusty vengeance.

1:02 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Interesting post Pat....I hope you get to see one of your characters or really more of those characters--come to life! Cause if you do that will mean your story is being made into a film! I haven't experienced that with a film, but I have with my plays...Writing a character and then seeing that character come to life on the stage...It Is Very Very Exciting!

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting thought about seeing your character come to life. I would have to put my odds on being disappointed, for one reason.

Think about any movie that you have seen AFTER having read the book. Aren't you usually disappointed because your imagination did such a better job?

That being said, I think a lot of it depends on how much involvement the author had in the production. If it was a totally hands off approach where the rights had been sold, probably disappointment. If it is something like Lucas with the Star Wars series and you had a LOT to do with casting, design, and effects, you could end up very satisfied.

Great question!

Chris
My Blog

1:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Stewart: A good reading by someone can do much for a scene well written.. and as Naomi mentions.. they can come to life on the stage too.. I just had a sudden vision before I wrote the post of actually seeing "an actor" dressed the part, and in the scene for a part..and without a word spoken, my eyes welled up with the feeling of him being real for just a moment in my life... I can't imagine the feeling writers have when they are lucky enough to have a stage or movie presentation of something that means so much to them. I know that an author is paid for the rights to do it.. but it sure wouldn't be about the money, it would be about seeing the characters.. alive. I have no idea why I felt so strong to post this.. like i said I'm sure it also has a lot to do with the books I am reading right now lol.. ah well.... a daydream while it happened lol

Oh Naomi! I am sure it's the same with a play as a movie! To see your characters alive!! gads! I only know how i felt when I saw DeForest do his character (one moment I was talking to my friend DeForest, and the next McCoy came to life!..and that character wasn't mine, yet it blew me away...I think ..no, I know.. I would cry for a very long time if it were a character I had made.


Chris: oh I do know that giving up all rights when a movie is made can change things drastically...all one can hope for once that is done is to get someone as passionate as Jackson was for LOTR to do right by it. But even if they didn't... "seeing them alive" before a word is said would be enough!
Oh yes... just for a few brief moments..that's all it would take.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

I HAVE wondered things like this -- and not just about authors like Tolkien either -- but authors like A.A. Milne -- I wonder if Disney made Pooh look like/act/sound like Milne had pictured Pooh? But I always wonder if they would feel "satisfied" with someone else's portrayal of what was only imagined in THEIR head. Because I will not view a movie that is made from a book unless I have already read the book. And I am ALWAYS -- ALLLL WAYS disappointed with the movie. It is NEVER as good as it was in my imagination. So I wonder how could it POSSIBLY live up to the AUTHORS imagination??? And how would you FEEL if someone DID bring your Abbercorn to life -- but he didn't measure up to YOUR vision of him? Oh! Wouldn't that just be heartbreaking? I do wonder... yes, I definitely DO wonder...

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After I read the Inkheart series - I started really thinking about some of the characters I have come up with in my books. And decided that I definitely would NOT want to meet some of them.

6:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Melli: Ohhh I wasn't disappointed with Harry Potter AT ALL! I remember even rereading book one after i saw the movie and looked hard and they had everything and everyone done really well... umm, well that's just my thought. but i felt the same with LOTR. and X Men.. I guess I'm a pushover. lol

Karmyn: LOL yes, the Ink series gives one pause lol.. there's one in my story I wouldn't want to meet either.. but I'd give anything to see some of them.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

write.
I get your first signed copy.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

well I'll just pop over to your other blog and read... but you still need to have it in book form and signed

1:32 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pam: I wrote my "trilogy" a few years back and have re-edited it as much as I can.. I only have a HS education and no college at all.. anyway.. having no idea that I would write anything, I am proud of my "baby" lol..it's always part of my thoughts.. sorry, there won't be a signed copy lol.. If you want to read a little of it look under MY WEBSITES and click "the beginning of a story"..and to see drawings from it click Attempted Character Art.

7:52 AM  
Blogger DellaB said...

I love the look of abbercorn - created out of your mind, you say? Did you do the drawing yourself, how talented you are...

By the way, I got goosebumps reading the post - very strong feelings coming through - a visit to somebody else's imagination - eerie (spl).

7:41 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

HI Della: Yes I drew the picture of Abbercorn and a few other of my characters.. but, he's pretty "typical" for his character..what i most would want to see in him I can't draw.. that's the kind of person he is "inside".

you can see the other drawings I attempted from a link on my sidebar under My Websites titled: Attempted Character Art.

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home