My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Candy Shop War


Thanks to SQT, I was given this book to review...


The Candy Shop War, by Brandon Mull


  • Hardcover: 358 pages

  • Publisher: Shadow Mountain; 1 edition (September 11, 2007)

  • ISBN-10: 159038783X



  • This is not my first Brandon Mull book... nor will it be my last. I have read his other two books about Fablehaven... but this book is not an extension of those books. This one stands alone. This one will make you take a whole new look at the effects of candy! You may even swear off of it for a while! Maybe. But then again if you are very adventurous....


    This is a story about 4, ten year old friends, the bullies that bug them, some very old wizards and a treasure to be found.


    The kids, Nate, Summer, Trevor and Pigeon get involved with helping the owner of a new Candy Store for rewards of some special candy. They soon find out that the candy they are rewarded with have magical powers. Some let them leap heights, and yet others give them the ability to stun a person. One chore they are given is to give out free white fudge, that effects only adults by making them not truly aware of what's going on around them.


    Before they realize it they are in over their heads. They begin to wonder about Mrs White, the lady they are helping, and suspect she is not the nice person that they thought she was.


    Meanwhile, they learn that their, very old and very nice, ice cream man is also a wizard. And there seems to be a strange man in a trench coat following and spying on them.


    Their situations go from bad to worse, and move at lightening speed throughout the book, the "treasure" that the wizards want is always looming in front of them.


    There is a bit of a surprise near the ending... one in which I'm not sure a 10 year old would think of.. but then again...


    This was an enjoyable read, even for someone as ancient as I am. I think kids near the age of the characters in this book will have a number of things they can relate too, and will give them an adventure that only their vivid imaginations could take them on.


    This will be a book I will tell my 11 year old grandson to read!


    5 Comments:

    Blogger MartyAnn said...

    It sounds like an enjoyable story!
    Have you read the Brides of Montclair by Jane Peart?

    4:53 PM  
    Blogger chrisa511 said...

    :) Glad it was fun! Especially since I already bought it and have it sitting on my bookshelf, lol...Love the pic by the way. I can tell I'm going to get fat reading this one because I already started drooling at the word "fudge" in your review!

    5:39 PM  
    Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

    It sounds very very fun! And a bit scary, too! I'm trying to think who I might give this book to for the coming Holidays.....!

    5:48 PM  
    Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

    Love the picture!!! Nicely done!

    10:37 AM  
    Blogger Patrick said...

    Have you seen the cool Candy Shop War promo video on Youtube?

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=xkOna6wCuiQ

    2:57 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home