My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, June 01, 2008

An Author Meme

1. Who’s your all-time favorite author, and why?

Anne McCaffrey. I could say her name over and over for the love I have of this woman's imagination and talent to put it all in books called "Pern".

I have reread most of the Pern books at least 3 times (probably 4) I don't tire of her fantastic characters which she endowed so richly with personalities that are unforgettable. From her strong hero and heroine of F'lar and Lessa to her ever present friend in Master Harper Robinton... they are forever in my mind and heart, there to linger until I die.

If I were to have a dream come true (one that could never come true) it would be to be sitting next to Robinton chatting and watching a hatching of dragon eggs, and then to be flown home on one of her magnificent creatures. Anne McCaffrey makes you wish you lived in another time and place.

Her writing makes you want to be on Pern. Her characters make you want to know them one and all. Her story telling... outstanding.

Anne McCaffrey is the one author that will always hold the number one spot for me.

2. Who was your first favorite author, and why? Do you still consider him or her among your favorites?

The first one I remember (because I really don't remember having books when I was very young) would be J R R Tolkien.

The Hobbit. I couldn't put the book down. I walked around the house with it. I was reading it while running the vacuum, and I was reading it while I cooked my family dinner... That one book made me into someone who enjoys reading.

And.. oh yes! I still consider Tolkien one of my absolute favorite authors!

I have other favorites along with him....(maybe not the first one I loved, but not the last!)

Weis and Hickman.. the dynamic duo! Dragonlance at it's finest! They write about hero's and companions that remain with you forever, once you have read them, along with some that you love to hate. I've read these authors together and individually and I'm never disappointed.

David Eddings... The Belgarion. Belgarath, the Sorcerer, and Garion, the boy who would be king. And Polgara! Finally! A Female sorcerer every bit as strong as a male sorcerer!! More people to fill your heart. More lands where you want to be.... When a group of books embeds itself into you and won't let go, there's just got to be something to it!

Stephen R Donaldson. Probably the only writer who could write two trilogies.. wait countless years and begin a third to pull you back to his original series!! Stephen R Donaldson, the only man to make a rapist (Thomas Covenant) a hero. A man who brings Giants into your space, and you hope they never leave... I still thank him for Saltheart Foamfollower.

3. Who’s the most recent addition to your list of favorite authors, and why?

Last year brought a few new authors to me... and I am thankful for each of them!

Laurie R King... I smile looking at her photo! This lady brought Sherlock Holmes into my "reading life". More to the point she brought Mary Russell (a female Sherlock Holmes) as Homes wife into my life.

Though I always loved the Holmes movies, I never before read Sherlock Holmes. Not until I read Laurie R King and her series of Mary Russell books! It's been said, and it's true, "if Sherlock were female, he would be Mary Russell". I don't think I need to say more.

Also, her latest book which is a mystery with all new characters called Touchstone.. I never thought I'd like this type of book but she managed to suck me right in with her great characters and story line. I will continue to read more of Laurie R King, that's for sure.

I also found YA books... (hitting head against the wall).. boy, howdy... I really missed some good reading before I found these folks!

Cornelia Funke. Oh man.. I am trying to think of how to talk about her. Maybe one of the best story tellers I've found to date in young adult books!

Her Inkheart series is fantastic (and being made into a movie).. I also read a few of her other books such as Dragon Rider and The Their Lord. Her being able to write this good is no accident! She's fanominal!

Probably my newest find is Jonathan Stroud. He has a trilogy out that everyone who enjoys reading, and could use a smile or two along the way, should read. Bartimaeus. That's his name. .. and he's a demon. .. and he's the main character in the books. Were someone to say to me.. read this it's about a demon who you'll wind up liking, I'd probably raise one eyebrow, much the way Spock did in Star Trek and mumble something like, "fascinating"...ok.. so more like: "yeahrightsure" heh!

But I love Bartimaeus and I hope with everything in me that one day he brings this character back for yet another trilogy!!

James A Owen. Another YA author I found last year with the release of his book "Here There Be Dragons". His writing is every bit as much for adults as it is for YA ! Most Excellent and enjoyable reading... and for anyone who likes arework in books, Mr Owen does his own drawings and puts plenty of them in his books!! Trust me... there's nothing in his books you won't like!

Mr Owen's second book, Search For The Red Dragon was released and it was every bitas good as the first book! I love his characters and the fact that he references to so many childhood characters... this makes two in a row, with the 3rd one waiting for release! He's someone I will be enjoying for some time to come I am sure.

4. If someone asked you who your favorite authors were right now, which authors would first pop out of your mouth? Are there any you’d add on a moment of further reflection?

Well, you've just read the authors that would pop out of my mouth... after reflection... I guess I would add J K Rowlings. I will admit I really like the characters she has come up with ... along with the main characters she really made interesting secondary characters. I mean.. comeon.. who wouldn't like Hagrid?? And Snape is a great character! And then there's Dumbledor!

I am not going to tag anyone, but it's a good meme for just about anyone to try!! Let me know if you post one.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ana S. said...

I really need to read some Anne McCaffrey. And you know, fur some odd reasons I was convinced that both Weis and Hickman were female. Anyway, I'm glad you did the meme! I enjoyed reading your answers :)

2:31 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Well there are certainly no surprises here :) I think I could've answered this meme for you! The great thing about reading this was that it reminded me how much I need to get back to reading Pern!!!! The first book was so great....I just hate the tiny friggin print in the copy that I have!

9:34 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Nymeth took the words right out of my mouth. I thought Tracey Hickman was a lady too. Just started the first Dragonlance book, btw. Enjoying it. Great post, would like to do the meme but it will have to wait until I catch up with myself!

4:05 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

I love Anne McCaffrey, too. (And all the other authors you mentioned.) But McCaffrey is the one that really pulled me into reading to the extent that I saved my allowance when I was a kid in order to buy her books because I hated having to take them back to the library. I still have the old Del Rey paperbacks I bought back then (in the 70s, it must have been) and they are so worn and brittle from being read and reread, but I'll never get rid of them! :-)

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home