My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery

Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Putnam Adult; 100 Anv edition (February 21, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0399154787

Amazon: The nostalgic charm of Avonlea comes alive in Lucy Maud Montgomery's heart-warming tale set on the quaint island of Prince William about an aging brother and sister, Mathew and Marilla Cuthbert, and their decision to adopt a young boy to help with chores around their farm. However, as the result of a misunderstanding the boy turns out to be a feisty, independent, and wildly imaginative redheaded girl named Anne. Marilla's first reaction to this news is, "What use is she to us?" Wherein Mathew replies, "We might be of some use to her." Throughout this moving story these two statements mix and meld together so richly and completely that they become one truth. Three lives are changed so dramatically that none can imagine life without the others. Each new day brings a new set of adventures, often hilarious and always uplifting. Anne's vivid and overactive imagination is the cause of many mishaps, but her saving grace is her heart of gold. Her best friend and "kindred spirit," Diana, and her handsome admirer, Gilbert Blythe, often find themselves unintentional victims of Anne's escapades.

I can honestly say that if I read this when I was young I don't remember it... and I think I would remember this book! What an absolutely wonderful way to go through life! Could you please implant her into me?!

This is a fabulous book. You can't help but feel the hope and happiness and imagination in Anne of Green Gables.. fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. If you don't find yourself smiling and wishing you could be just like her, (even a male version) then there's something wrong with you!

A delight to read. It's a feel good type of book. If you haven't read it... put it on your wish list now!

10 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

Ooooh, well then, it's going on my wishlist now! I've always wondered "what's the big deal with the Anne books?" Now I really have to read them for myself! So glad that you enjoyed it so much Pat :D

12:41 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey baby boy: Yeah, she just makes you smile and wish you could see life the way she does.. it would all be so much more wonderful.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Oh, I'm so glad you liked the book, Pat. In RL I think her chattering might get a bit much but as a character in a book she's a real charmer. I'd love to go to Prince Edward Island now to see where the books are set.

6:31 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Cath: yes, at first I thought, "utoh this will drive me nuts".. but it sure didn't take long to realize that if you listened to her your own worries seemed to fade away and oh how I wanted to see things the way she did.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Absolutely everyone seems to be reading this book these days...guess I'd better just go for it myself, so I quit feeling so left out. :)

2:52 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: heck, join the crowd! lol you won't be disappointed!

2:55 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I certainly know that there is a little bit of Anne in me...we are definitely kindred spirits on many levels, even more so as her story goes on. I'm not sure if I would have liked it as much if I had read it at a young age, but discovering these books in college, when I was newly married and really at that stage between letting of the last vestiges of my youth and becoming an adult, I really found a lot to identify with. There is an 'old fashioned' love of life in these books that I cling to and try to live by. And her love of books and romance, etc. are so near to my heart.

I am glad you enjoyed this and hope you read the rest of the series.

3:52 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: I want to read more of Anne.. not easy finding them as independent books and not small mass paperbacks that are difficult for me to read!! I've been searching for the next installment!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I stumbled across the Anne books when I was still in middle school and devoured all that I could find. I'm almost positive that I haven't read them all though and I'd like to do a re-read one day.

4:03 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much! Now you must read the next one in the series... and the next one, and the next one :P

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home