My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, December 06, 2008

2-fer-1

The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti

Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: The Dial Press; 1 edition (August 26, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0385337450

From The New Yorker
This striking debut novel is an homage to old-fashioned boys-own adventure stories, and unfolds like a Robert Louis Stevenson tale retold amid the hardscrabble squalor of Colonial New England. The sheer strangeness of the story is beguiling: a one-handed boy, tainted by his upbringing in a Catholic orphanage and with little to offer but a head full of lice, is adopted by a con artist, and enters an underworld of ruthless mousetrap-manufacturing barons, feisty chimney-dwelling dwarves, and, perhaps most terrifying of all, black-market dentists. In keeping with the gothic tradition, Tinti writes with an arch, almost camp sensibility. While on a nocturnal grave-digging excursion to procure bodies for a crazy scientist, for instance, the pair encounter an assassin, who tells the twelve-year-old hero that he was made for killing. Will the boy ever discover the truth of his past? Its good fun watching him find out.

Ren is a  young boy, with only one hand, who lives at an Orphanage and is oft told that no one will ever want a one handed boy.

One day a man named Benjamin Nab comes and says Ren is his brother and takes him from the Orphanage.  But, it quickly seems as if this Ben is no one other than a con-man and thief and plans to use Ren to soften some hearts so that handouts come their way.

Ben meets up with his friend Tom and they go about trying to survive.  Then one day they meet up with a "doctor" who offers to pay them well to dig up bodies for him.  One of the first bodies they dig up just so happens to still be alive!  The man is huge, he tells Ren he is a murderer for hire.  Ren still befriends the man.

While in this town they find that there is a Mouse Trap Factory where most of the town woman work. Somehow, these characters manage to intertwine to tell the story of Ren, and the story of the parents he never knew.

It was an enjoyable little book.  Nothing spectacular, but at least I didn't set it aside!

There were some interesting characters but none that captured me to hope there would be more when the book was finished.

Will I read it again some day?  Probably not.

It was good... just not "wow".

---------------------------------------------------------------

(Second Post.. same day.. due to Verizon outage)

Huh?

I'm not sure what's going on with me...  I guess it could have to do with the aloneness of loosing my brother.  And the oddness living with David, who I think right now is glad for my company, but will one day decided enough is enough.  I dunno.

What I do know is that I set a book aside.  Something I almost never do.  The book I picked up in it's place was a small book, and one that didn't need much of a brain to follow it. (probably a good thing).  Then I picked up the next book, one I know I should enjoy since I read the first two books to the trilogy, and although not many others care for the series I found it enjoyable. ( not "wow".. but enjoyable) And I find I am rereading sentences (and it's not a brainy book) and still not grasping what I'm reading.

What's going on with me?  Why is everything I read seem not interesting, when I know I should be enjoying them. Why do I find it necessary to reread a paragraph I just read and then sit there and say, "huh?"   What's wrong with me?

Then to make things worse, I am on line checking blogs when all of a sudden I am kicked off of aol. Huh?  I rebooted but it would "time out" and not let me on aol. Huh?

Then I check IE and it won't even load the Google home page.  Ok.. now I'm upset!

I called Verizon Tech Support (since I have verizon dsl) and they can't seem to find the problem, though they do say there IS one.  I am told to call back in an hour if things don't get better.

They got no better.

I called back.

This time, before I get to a live person to talk to, it says Verizon is having trouble in NY and Long Island, but doesn't mention New Jersey. 

Back to another tech.  He has me try some things which of course I can't do since nothing is loading in IE.  He tells me he will call ME back in an hour, he suspects the "outage" in NY and Long Island is also in NJ.  He calls me back in an hour and verifies this. 

Hooray.

*dang it*

They have no idea how long it will take to fix the problem.  It's already been over 6 hours.

Not a happy camper here.. no internet and my reading leaves something to be desired. *sigh*  So, I did two loads of laundry (fun, fun), changed my bedding, and took a bath... still no internet.  grrrrrrrrrrr.

addendum:

the book I am reading is getting better.. but still not that "can't put it down" feeling.

 

11 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I'm not concentrating on books very well at the moment either. I tend to go through 2 or 3 weeks when I'm like that and have learned that its best to just let it be rather than force it. That said, the book you reviewed does sound quite interesting and I do love the cover.

I suspect your brother's passing and the not knowing for sure about whether you will stay there with David is unsettling, Pat. It would certainly unsettle me! It's a lot for you to cope with, too much going on and and hardly any wonder that you can't settle to books at the moment. You take care.

9:09 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: in march i'll be 65.. and I do wonder what's left for me... but that's how it gets when we get old and are alone. (no family but my kids who can't manage to do good even for theirselves) and no one else so.. it's not an easy adjustment.. may be this is all I have is to get thru one day at a time... hopefully without my internet going down! :o)

9:15 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

I would be more surprised if you -weren't- having trouble concentrating! You've had a pretty good upset with losing your brother, not knowing what will happen with David and your living arrangements. I think things will settle for you in a while, but I wouldn't push myself. Maybe this would be a good time to read 'comfort books'. You know, books you love so you already know the story so you don't have to concentrate too hard? Just a thought...

{{{{Hugs}}} I know life must be unsettling for you right now, I wish I could help more, but you ARE in my thoughts!

9:21 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi JJ: gosh this is turning into a pity party! lol.. I didn't mean it to be, I just hate when i spend so much money on books and they are just "blah" or worse! I've always needed the escapism in the books.. nothing new there.. I don't like loosing it though.
I do intend on some more rereads though..I just feel overwhelmed with my tbr list to go away to read others !! I want to reread the Thomas Covenant 6 books (many don't like them, but I do) I have a few more Pern books I want to reread, and the Hobbit.. haven't read that in some time now. Oh and one other trilogy I haven't reread in forever!.. by Piers Anthony, called Three Complete Xanth Novels.. the first three he did that lead him to be doing them forever and ever! lol (A spell for Chameleon, The Source of Magic and Castle Roogna) did you ever read them? I remember when I first read them thinking that this guy has got to run out of "puns" sooner or later...after all these years he's still going!! amazing!

9:28 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Pat - Read what's calling to you, my dear. You'll go back to the others when read. The comfort of a much loved book is one of the greatest things in the world.

I just sent you an email - hope you don't mind!

cjh

12:55 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cj: thanks. Emailed you back lol..

4:41 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Like everyone else said, I think it's only natural that you're having trouble concentrating considering what you've been through recently. I know how having no book you can "lose yourself" in makes things harder to bear. Hopefully soon you will find one that will suck you in completely. And I hope things in general work out well for you *hugs*

4:50 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oh, I kinda know how you feel Pat...when I was going through the funk of my life over the summer, during all that bad stuff that kept happening, I couldn't find anything interesting. I read books by some of my favorite authors and hated them...You'll get over it eventually and you'll find that books are even better than they were before! I'm really just getting back into reading...

7:02 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: yeah I hope so! I may be expecting too much when I start them.. but I do know I used to find more of them "very good" instead of "ok" and or/ setting them aside! sheesh

Hi Chris: I see you are on a roll reading, it's not easy because you were doing your most reading when you weren't working.. work puts a hellava dent in reading!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I think it is safe to say you are grieving, and probably a little bit depressed. Losing someone who was such an everyday in your life person has to cause you to have some balance problems.

Maybe you need a nice vacation -- are there any conventions going on that you can visit?

8:17 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I've been wanting to reading The Good Thief. I'm hoping it will win the poll for one of my online book groups.

Recently when I'm reading I'll find myself trying to skip ahead and then even when I know I've read it I'll have to go back and re-read because it's like I'm not absorbing it or something. Hence it takes me a day or two to finish a book that would normally take me about two or three hours :( I don't know what's wrong with me either but at least I can still listen to audio books without something affecting that *sigh*

Maybe it's the holiday hustle and bustle or something? Or maybe we're just a little depressed, my Meme's birthday is coming up soon.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home