My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Once Upon a Time

 It's March 20th..

It's the first day of spring..

Although I am not feeling the happiness I generally feel on this day, I am still very glad that it's the day that Carl's Once Upon a Time III begins.

Filled with Journey's and Quests that should not be ignored, Carl's reading challenge to read Fantasy, Fairy Tales, Folklore or Mythology is one that takes you into the realms of your mind that need to be nurtured and not forgotten.

I can remember my discovery of this challenge while it was in progress for the very first time.  A day didn't go by that I didn't click on all the new links to read all of the reviews!  I couldn't believe all these people reading the same kind of book "only I enjoyed" !  What a revelation to me! I was in hog heaven!

Once Upon a Time dragged me, kicking and screaming, (yeah right) into a whole new world of book review blogger's..  A fact I will always be happy about.

That year was the first time that I tried to keep track of how many books I read..heck, I never did anything like that before!  And last year I read 101 books!  And I can tell you, I never, in my 65 years read that many books in one year.. I always thought it great if anyone read 12 books a year.. I mean one book a month for busy people sounded extraordinarily good to me!  And it still does.  Anyone that takes the time to read, no matter how many books or how few, feeds your inner self.

This year I am committing to the smallest and easiest, The Journey.  But as always I will strive to also do Quest the First.

Here are my Challenge Choices:

This is really as simple as the name implies. It means you are participating, but not committing yourself to any specific number of books. All reading is a journey, perhaps none more so than reading fantastical fiction. By signing up for The Journey you are agreeing to at least read one book within one of the four categories during March 21st to June 20th period. Just one book. If you choose to read more, fantastic! If not, then we have still had the pleasure of your company during this three month reading journey and hopefully you have read a great book, met some interesting people, and enjoyed the various activities that occur during the challenge. It has always been of utmost importance to me that the challenges that I host be all about experiencing enjoyable literature and sharing it with others. I want you to participate. Hence, The Journey.

Read at least 5 books that fit somewhere within the Once Upon a Time III criteria. They might all be fantasy, or folklore, or fairy tales, or mythology…or your five books might be a combination from the four genres.

 

I have 21 books to choose from: (in my tbr pile.. of course more will undoubtedly get added and so the list may change somewhat!)

 

     Heroes of the Valley ... Jonathan Stroud

    The Hobbit (re-read)... J R R Tolkien

     ( 5 books)... The Dark is Rising... Susan Cooper

     East... Edith Patiou

     (3 books)  The Black Jewels Trilogy.... Anne Bishop

     Grimpow...Rafiel Abalos

     The Mysterious Benedict Society... Trenton Lee Stewart

     The Hound of Rowan.. Henry H Neff

     The Second Siege... Henry H Neff

     The Magicians and Mrs Quent...Galen Beckett

     The Farwalkers Quest... Joni Sensel

     100 Cupboards... N D Wilson

     Dandelion Fire... N D Wilson

    Name of the Wind ... Patrick Rothfuss

    Merlin ... T A Barron

As always I know my wish list will grow considerably during this challenge, and I look forward to reading many reviews that will either entice me to get a book or give me the deciding factor that the book is not for me.  Either way it's a great way to have all the information that everyone provides.

Here's too three months of Fantasy, Fairy Tales, Folklore and Mythology reading!

Let the challenge begin!

(one more thing:  Happy Birthday Mary!)

******************************************************************************

I had to share this bit of Spring news:

This morning was beautiful!...

Yes, it is the first day of Spring, but the visual picture was saying something else.

.... snow!....

For an hour or so we had this snow coming down!.. big beautiful flakes.  The prettiest snow of the whole winter and it happened on the first day of spring.   (sadly, it's all gone already  :O(  )

38 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I'm sorry your snow is gone already...if you wanted it to stick around, that is!

I'm so glad you are joining in despite all that has been going on and is still going on. I consider you one of my ambassadors as far as these challenges go. I always see that you visit other people's sites during these things and it does my heart good to see you share that community spirit. Thank you so much for doing that and for being an example to the rest of us.

I hope you are able to get to as many books as you need to in order to begin to lift your spirits. The list looks great. I've often wondered about that Benedict Society book. I love the cover. I'll wait for your someday review to decide if I'm going to pick it up.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Hey, sis, I see we have a couple of authors in common - Susan Cooper and Anne Bishop. Loads of people love these so I'm looking forward to trying them. Whatever you manage, I look forward to your unique reviews, as always.

And only you could have snow on the first day of Spring! lol!

12:11 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: it was so pretty.. huge, huge flakes! Though I am old enough to no longer enjoy shoveling or traveling in snow.. big flakes just make you feel like you are in your own snow globe!

Hi Cath.. yeah, have no idea which ones I'll try. I've tried a few books and set them down...sometimes it's like I don't know what I am reading...so it's not that i won't like them.. there weems to be little interest at the moment... but I'll keep trying.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Oh, the neverending winter!! Carl's challenge=Spring! Enjoy your reading. You've got a great list and I can't wait to read your reviews!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

We have a few books in common :)

I hope you get to The Farwalker's Quest by Joni Sensel I just loved that one :)

I'm curious about Heroes of the Valley by Jonathan Stroud. I loved his Bartimaeus (sp?) trilogy so very very much.

12:44 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Robin: I don't do good reviews but I do enjoy reading the books and reading everyone elses reviews! lol

Becky : yeah the Stroud one I sent for because of that trilogy too! I love those books!.. and I think I will be expecting something as good as they were, I hope he does't disappoint... or that I don't expect too much.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

I'm thinking I will join this challenge this year. I'm trying to get back into blogging (and photography) this year. Last year I had so much going on I neglected those things. I've gone from not having enough hours in the day last year to not having enough to do this year. Still, I have just been lollygagging around instead of doing something productive with myself. Got to get my butt in gear ;p

1:02 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Sorry to hear you lost all your snow! I'm glad you're joining in the fun again this year, Pat :) I'm in love with your pile of books!! I may actually post all of my possibilities later on tonight if I have about 5 extra hours to go through all of my TBR books, LOL. I really need to get 100 cupboards for this challenge!! Maybe I'll see if the library has it.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Lots of good choices there, Pat! I know how you like to read series all at once, if possible, so just to let you know the second book in Trenton Lee Stewart's book is out... The third book doesn't come out until October or something, though. A couple of those books I wouldn't mind getting around to reading myself! I will have to see how it goes.

1:21 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

astaryth: oh, I hope you do this! I know you'd have a blast and having so many people all enjoying the same thing should give you the push you need!

Hey Chris: yeah list those books LOL.. you'd better stick to putting books on the wish list instead of sending for them for a bit lol... yeah right , like that's gunna happen lol

Hi Kelly, yes, I know book 2 is out but need to read at least part of book one to know if I want the other book ... sigh...

1:25 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh, oh, oh...what a great pile of books! I truly hope you're able to loose yourself in the pages of these wonderful books and really enjoy yourself!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a wee bit of snow this morning too! I read The Mysterious Benedict Society a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Happy reading!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

I have read the Anne Bishop series, as well as Susan Cooper just now, so I can really recommend them both. I have Name of the Wind to read, too, so we share a book on the list!

And you do too write good reviews, Pat! Much better than I do *see yesterday's post, where I forgot to give any synopsis to the book at all!!! lol

i sure hope this helps to lighten the grief and load you are carrying right now. You know all our thoughts are always with you.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Oh how I'm tempted...

Lol, how weird! I have the air conditioning on and you have snow!

2:01 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: I hope some of them work for me too Debi.. thanks.

Stephanie: I remember your review and put book 2 on the wish list without reading book one yet lol (that's an ALMOST point!)

Susan: i just hope I enjoy them..hard to get into many right now..but they have got to help!

Tink! argh! lol..hey I may wind up in fla so maybe next year this time I can say that too.. maybe.. sho knows?

2:06 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Excellent list, Deslily! You have so many books I love in that pile. I hope you enjoy all your picks!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Robin M said...

You have a wonderful list of books. I have Mysterious Benedict Society on my list as well. The only one I've read is The Hobbit, so look forward to learning about a bunch of new books. More books for my wishlist. Happy Reading.

3:17 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth:there had better be good ones among all those! :o)

Robin: I've read the Hobbit a few times.. I may need to read it again so we'll see...

3:19 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Great list. I heartily recommend Susan Cooper and Anne Bishop. Happy reading.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic list! I love me some Black Jewels. Mmm...Lucivar and Daemon. Oh, sorry. :) Have fun with the challenge!

5:00 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kerry: it seems I'm the last to read those books! lol

chelle: I've heard nothing but good about the black jewels!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

That's quite the list... I keep telling myself that I should re-read Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence, and I never do. I hope you enjoy it. East is also one of my favorites... :)

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I adored The Dark Is Rising when I read it! It's been a while, though. Hopefully I can get my reading list down a fair bit, so I won't feel so guilty about rereading it later in the year.

So many books I haven't heard of... It'll be great to have/see something new to look forward too! (Perhaps, anyway.)

Happy reading!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Maree said...

I read The Black Jewels trilogy last year, and I couldn't put it down.
I haven't made a list yet, but I'm getting some great inspiration from others ...

9:22 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

I can't wait to start in on the challenge, and I'm also looking forward to checking out some new blogs! Thanks for stopping by...

10:08 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

DesLily -

So, that's where the snow went! Call me a meany, but I'm glad you got it instead of us!

No challenges for me this year, but I hope you enjoy this one. Your list is great and I may be adding a few to my ever growing list...

Also, I've given you an award. Drop by when you get a chance to see what it's about.



cjh

4:25 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

melissa and libritouches : rereading favorite books is a special treat, you shouldn't put it off..use this challenge as an excuse to read it again!

maree: yep you will get good ideas and wind up buying more books and making a large wish list!

miss D: oh yeah.. that's the other thing that will grow! your "to read blog list" !!

cj: awww not even one book?! Funny how our list keep growing.. you'd think they'd get smaller.. but noooooooooooooo.

5:13 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Your list is great!! I have East on mine too! Sorry about the snow, though I'm super-glad we don't have any more!!

I reviewed a book a couple of days ago that I think you should read. It's by Tom Wilson, the man who writes Ziggy. If you would like my copy, I can send it to you.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Imagine that, snow on the 1st day of spring. It was so pretty. Hugs, Helen

7:42 PM  
Blogger Marg said...

Oh, the Black Jewels trilogy! Great series!

7:07 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Steph: umm well.. i have over 60 books in my tbr pile now ..heh.. but thanks for the offer!!!

hi Helen! was just over at your blog!..how nice to get spring flowers!!!

marg: yeah, it seems to be a favorite!!!

7:49 AM  
Blogger claire said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad because I discovered your wonderful "fantasy" blog. Although I don't tend to read much fantasy, it's one of my favourite genres. The ones I've read, at least, I really loved. I think this is a good place for me to get recommendations.. :D

The Mysterious Benedict Society is on my reading list this year, so looking forward to your thoughts on that. :)

10:45 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Claire: oh.. just wait until the reviews begin!! Your wish list will grow by leaps and bounds!!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Gavin said...

You have a wonderful list, and have introduced me to some authors I did not know. Thanks!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

That's one heck of a book list you have there, DesLily! I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you get to them. Happy reading!

10:27 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

gavin: just when you think you've run out of things to read eh?!

darlad: I hope most are good!

6:04 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Pat -

I just thought the Tom Wilson book would be good for you to read right now. It's about how the love of his life lost her fight with cancer and how he survived it.

If you change your mind, let me know.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

Those sounds like some excellent choices! I love the Dark is Rising series.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home