My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Death Collector

The Death Collector by Justin Richards

Paperback: 336 pages

Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books; 1st edition (August 21, 2007)

ISBN-10: 159990148X

From School Library Journal
Horror fans will delight in this British import by Justin Richards (Bloomsbury, 2006) set in foggy London in the 1800s. George Archer toils in the back offices of the British Museum as the youngest member of the Department of Unclassified Artifacts. When thieves burst in and kill his co-worker, George attempts to uncover why a scrap of paper from an obscure scientist's diary would be worth a man's life. Circumstances lead George to team up with a minister's daughter and a homeless pickpocket. The trio discovers the diary is sought by Augustus Lorimore, an industrialist with delusions of grandeur. The chase is on and narrator Steven Pacey picks up the pace and leads listeners on a breathless romp through Victorian London complete with a séance, walking zombies, and a fire-breathing monster

Finally ! I finished this book.  I was beginning to think I never would finish another book in my life!  But circumstances took me away from my reading. (packing.. moving.. unpacking..brains turned to mush, and still I am lost) 

The only disappointment this book gave me was that the write up gave me a distinct impression that more would be written to let me know I was in London in the 1800's.  Oh there was plenty of fog ! But other than that this could have  taken place almost anywhere.

Despite the disappointment of it not having enough descriptions to know I was in old England, the story itself was quite enjoyable.  It was a fast paced action-mystery, but not one that was complicated or difficult to follow.  The characters were good, although I would have liked them defined a bit more.. maybe just because you can never tell me enough about a character that I am enjoying.   This is a perfect read for travel or for being away from home.  It's a YA book that I think would have most young kids wanting more.

So please don't totally judge this book by how long it took me to read it, it wasn't because it wasn't written well enough to hold my attention.. it is!  I just can't seem to stay awake long enough to read more than a few pages at a time.

I would call this an enjoyable light read for the summer... and the 10th book that I've read for Carl's Once Upon A Time Challenge!

5 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

You know, you're fast becoming one of my favorite sources for books. This one is going on my list.

I think once you get more settled in, your ability to read more will come back. You need to rest and recover, you know.

cjh

11:51 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi CJ.. well that scare me lol. I am always afraid if someone spends money because "I" liked a book that they may not, even if it sounds good.. heck I've bought books that "sound good" but turned out to only be so-so.
not so sure I will "recover"..but still hope things get somewhat better.

11:57 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

Pat - I'm confident you will settle in and find 'normal' again - that's what I meant by recover. And, there's always that risk when it comes to books, even when I pick one myself! Unless it's an author I know, it's a gamble... but then, even with an author I like, it's still a gamble.

cjh

2:28 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

It's a shame there wasn't more of a Victorian England feel to the book but the plot sounds like it was enjoyable, which is something at least. And yaaay for finishing it!

5:49 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

thanks cj...

hi Cath, yes it was a very easy and would be a quick read for anyone... well there was lots of fog involved lol

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home