My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, June 12, 2009

A Peek at Pond Happenings

This group of white birds showed up just before a storm. Once again I have no idea what they are called.

How cool is this?! I caught a small bird landing lol...

Here's a close up of one of white birds..

They look like a large bird, and yes, next to a Sparrow they are huge, but they are only about half as big as the small Heron I showed a few posts ago. I think I only have one more pond post... and that about does it for the wildlife around the pond. At least for now, I'm sure now and then a "new bird" will show up, and when they do I will try to catch it in a picture.

addendum: My sister in law wrote and told me these birds are called: Ibis ! And I found out the first little black bird w/ babies is a Gallanews (not sure of the spelling) and the bird that swims underwater is a Inhinga.

9 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

How delightful! I've enjoyed all of your photos and I'm glad you figured out what the birds are! I'd love to be able to sit with a cup of coffee in the morning and watch the activity on your pond.

Are there any babies around? The birds at the bay where I take Riley have babies - ducks and geese and they are so cute!

cjh

11:10 AM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

I am enjoying your bird posts as you discover the ins and outs of your new place. I've found that every place I've ever lived had both things I loved and things I hated... I think the pond may become one of the things you love. In all of the places that I have lived with a pond here in FL, I have found the constant changing of the animals/birds kept me watching thru all the seasons. I always enjoyed having a pond nearby... one of the few things I don't have here :(

11:25 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: the first birds I posted have 3 babies... and I saw the mama bird close up for the first time today and she has green legs and feet!

JJ: the pond is very enjoyable from the INSIDE of my apartment, once you go out you get eaten alive by no-see-me's and at times mosquitoes.. so I stay inside ..heh

12:20 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

These kind of look like Ibis to me but I'm certainly no expert on birdlife in Florida. Whatever they're stunning, as always, Pat.

They are Ibis! I just found that last paragraph in your post that I must have missed before. Well, there ya go...

3:21 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: lol.. hey you knew more than I did!! I am not a "name that bird" person lol I'm lucky I recognise a blue jay (they are blue right? lol) or a cardinal (if they weren't red I'd prob. not know them either hahahaha

3:54 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

beautiful -- Ive seen a dark ibis but never a white one.

6:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

pam: wow and I've never seen a dark one!

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

O_O You are so lucky with that camera and wildlife!

(Yep, I'm useless at comments today.)

1:03 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Beautiful shots Pat. Helen

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home