My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Yet Another Pond Post

Gads, but Harpo, Chico, Zeppo and Groucho are all grown up!!!

Some absolute proof below.. they now come up to  and cross the walking path around the pond!

As I stood out there watching the Moorhen family, and yes if you make no sudden moves they wall very close to you and around you.. I saw a rather large bird flying overhead.. it landed at the tippy top of a tree on the far side of the pond...

I was happy to find it was the male Anhinga!  Neither the male or female has been around for some time. Later I thought it was pretty amazing that he landed on the top of the tree with those huge webbed (duck like) feet of his!.

After he took a swim I looked out and saw him on the side of the pond..

I zoomed in for a few pictures.. I know it's the male because his neck is black like the rest of his feathers... the female has a brown neck.

I sorta wish he'd loose a feather or two, I would love to have one.

Then I went  outside to give some bread to the Moorhens.  I found that if I wait a bit out there sooner or later the turtle shows up and now I toss him some bread too..

With each toss of the bread he came closer and closer to land..

..then he really shocked me.. he came on land to get bread!!!

I didn't get a pic "on land" but as he was crawling out.  He grabbed bread and got right back in the water.. I stood there shocked! lol

This small tricolor heron is getting braver.

He has discovered that when I feed the Moorhens and toss bread out into the water that all the baby fish come to nibble on the bread and it becomes"easy pickins"!  And let me tell you.. it's a rare time that when his head juts down for something that he doesn't come up with something to eat!  This is one Eagle-Eyed Heron!

 

So at times I am now feeding the Moorhens, the turtle and (indirectly) Ol' Eagle Eye at the same time!

he has great colors!

Plus Woody came around and brought a friend...

I've noticed that at  times we now get two and even three Wood Storks here at the same time. 

The weather doesn't feel like it's changing to me.. it's still in the 90's everyday, but the animals must think it's changing.. maybe it's the shorter days??

That's it for Pond News for now.. sorry for so many pictures.. the pond was sorta active!

....'Til next time.

9 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Can you tell Harpo, Chico, Zeppo and Groucho apart from each other?

Don't apologize for lots of pictures!!! There's no such thing as too many pictures from "Pat's Pond"!

8:08 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: lol ummm no i can't tell them apart lol they are getting brave now though and come close to me but haven't taken bread from my hand yet... just mama does that.

8:55 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh, you never have to apologize for too many pictures, for me, Pat..I LOVE LOVE L-O-V-E...all these pictures of the life going on in and around The Pomd. That Turtle has such BEAUTIFUL Markings...And those dear little Moorhens..They are so grown-up now....And that Anhinga....What a fantastic Wing span...! I love Woody, too---I Love Them All!
More, More, More....(lol)!

1:39 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

wow, the moorhen babies have gotten so big!!! I can't get over how fast they've grown! I hope that other bird loses one of it's feathers too...it's just gorgeous! And that heron is gorgeous too..I'm in love with it's colors! Hey, maybe you'll have some baby Woody's soon ;)

1:43 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I never get tired of looking at those birds Pat. You have some outstanding photos of them. Those babies sure are growing fast. Shame you don't have a discount bread store close to you or maybe you do. You may have a lot more coming in as winter gets here and the other states will be cold and icy. Hugs, Helen

7:27 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Kids are not kids for very long it seems, even in the moorhen world.

Great pics again, I like the one with the wings outstretched and the reflection, and the turtle is wonderful. So unusual.

3:09 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: it seems life goes by as fast as the growning of the Moorhens! sigh

Chris: seldom find feathers near the pond.. found one from the small blue Heron (not the tricolor one) but that's about it.

Cath: I am realizing I am doing way too many pond posts..i know it's because i don't go anywhere or do anything to write about and I read slow so there's not a lot of reviews, especially when reading chunkster books! I need to do something else to post about, just don't know what.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

wow.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos, I love looking at them.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home