My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, June 28, 2010

The Prince of Mist

The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Hardcover: 224 pages
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers(May 4, 2010)
ISBN-10: 0316044776

Amazon.com Review

It's war time, and the Carver family decides to leave the capital where they live and move to a small coastal village where they've recently bought a home. But from the minute they cross the threshold, strange things begin to happen. In that mysterious house still lurks the spirit of Jacob, the previous owners' son, who died by drowning.

With the help of their new friend Roland, Max and Alicia Carver begin to explore the strange circumstances of that death and discover the existence of a mysterious being called the Prince of Mist--a diabolical character who has returned from the shadows to collect on a debt from the past. Soon the three friends find themselves caught up in an adventure of sunken ships and an enchanted stone garden--an adventure that will change their lives forever.

This is the 3rd book by Carlos Ruiz Zafon that I have read, but the first young adult book by him I've read.

Zafron's other books are Shadow of the Wind and The Angels Game, both adult mysteries and excellent, excellent books.

I have to admit when I first purchased this book I wasn't aware it was a young adult book, nor did I know this was a much earlier book of his that has just been re-released.

One thing I did find out by reading this smaller book was that I could see how he progressed into the other books he has written.  He is truly and excellent story teller/ author.

In this book the young protagonist is named Max.  Max and his sisters move when their dad decides to move out of the city because the war was too close.  They move to a beach house, and from that time on nothing will ever be the same for Max or his sister Alicia. There's just something about the house they moved into that makes Max decide to try to know more about it.

The book is an enjoyable mystery read.  I think it is quite original in it's story and although it could have been read in one loooong sitting it took me a few days .

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I will read more of Mr Zafon's books as they are released.

4 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

I've yet to read anything by him. And I didn't even realized he'd written any YA. This sounds really good...maybe a good first book for me to try, since it's fairly short.

Hope you're really starting to feel better, Pat!!!

8:33 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I've been wanting to hear people talk about this book!! I've been curious about it. Looks good. Think I may give it a shot :) Hugs to you Pat!!

11:26 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: as much as this book was enjoyable if you are to read something by him read Shadow of the Wind! This book might be enjoyed by Annie though. But to get your money's worth..shadow of the wind!

Chris: get it from the library. it is a short read and you can see his style forming but it's not his best book

5:45 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Seems like I really ought to get around to reading this author. Did you read Shadow of the Wind for RIP, Pat?

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home