My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Rebecca

So….

I went to the thrift shop today (probably yesterday by the time I post this) .. and I found this old hardback copy of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.  I thought, “oh cool!” and it’s only 1.00.  I opened the books pages… very brown… v.e.r.y. brown. *sigh* but ok for 1.00 let me get this… even if it seems like it will fall apart if I try to read it.. (too dark for ME to read)

daphnebk1[1]

This was, maybe, the lightest brown page in the book!  So brown it’s almost brittle.

daphnebk2[1]

…then I saw this.

daphnebk3[1]

…and I thought.. “no way”.  But on the off chance, I think I will definitely pick this up!  I checked google images… some I found looks exactly like this one… others, close but not quite… so I don’t know for sure if it is or not.. i did find one on ebay with the signature in her Jamaica Inn book and it looks exactly alike.

Either way the book is too brown to be worth anything…. but it would be neat if it is her signature!  Even if it only lasts a little while longer.  Anyone out there a du Maurier fan?

8 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

I haven't read Rebecca in years, but I remember loving it in high school!

9:42 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh I hope it IS the "real thing", my dear Pat....Cause, as you said, even if it lasts just a little while longer---it is beyond lovely to have her signiture...!

10:12 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Becky: I love the old movie and read Rebecca ummm 1 or 2 yrs ago and loved it.

Naomi: I've read a lot about her in other bio's like that of JM Barrie (peter pan) and the fiction "Daphne" that I just read had a lot of "true history" in it. Odd how I found this book just when I had read something about her.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Rebecca is far and away one of my favorite gothic novels, and I'm very excited for you. Even the possibility that it may be real is exciting. Definitely a great dollar treasure!

And I couldn't remember if you'd read this or not but say your comment to Becky and am glad to see that you liked it.

How fun!!! You rock!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

You got another autographed book the other day didn't you? Is someone local selling or donating their autographed book collection? So thrilled for you, Pat. Hoping to get around to Rebecca myself this year.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

How cool is that! I love Daphne du Maurier so far, so I am glad you rescued the book. :)

9:05 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

So cool!!! And I love that book :) I also love old brown books too…something about them that just have character.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

That would be VERY COOL if the signature is real! I love Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel and hope to read her other works one day!

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home