My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, February 05, 2012

Great Expectations

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

 

Hardcover: 512 pages
Publisher: Barnes & Noble Classics (September 20, 2004)
ISBN-10: 1593081626

So.. I’ve been at this book for a reasonably long time. *sigh*. Dickens is not the easiest person to read!… but he is interesting enough that I knew I would get through it even if there were small parts I’m still not sure I understood lol.

bk[1]

From School Library Journal

Grade 7 Up—A young man's burning desire to fulfill his "great expectations" of fame and fortune is presented in Charles Dickens's classic tale of love, madness, forgiveness, and redemption. Simon Vance's masterful narration brings to life such diverse personalities as Miss Havisham, the old woman who was abandoned on her wedding day and is determined to wreak revenge through her beautiful adopted daughter Estella; Joe, Pip's lumbering and slow-witted, but emotionally wise and faithful friend; the mysterious Magwitch, a convict who turns out to be Pip's financial benefactor; and Pip, the boy who longs for a destiny greater than that of living out his days as a blacksmith's apprentice.

(Boo seemed  interested, but when he realized he needed glasses he pretended not to have any interest at all.)

boobk[1]

Wow.. so now I get to say that I am quite surprised that when I went to school (back when books were carved in stone) that we didn’t have to read this one…  a lesson to be had…. dream big… but be careful what you wish for.

bk2-3[1]

I actually haven’t read a lot of Dickens.  His Christmas Story of course,  The Old Curiosity Shop, and now Great Expectations.  Also (of course) I have seen, many times, his books made into movies… most of which were the old black and white movies but others in color… I do find the story much easier to follow in movie form, but in general they will leave a lot of the book out and take some creative license. If you have the chance to see one on television, take the time to watch it.  There were some very excellent actors..and of course, the excellent story.

Although while reading, at times, I found myself saying, “what did he just say?” and read the paragraph over…and maybe over a second time as it made no sense to me, but never did it impair my understanding of the story. (this is what occurs when one is not the brightest bulb in the package!)

Then, of course, there are his wonderful characters.  One wonders where he got the names from and if he really knew such people as Miss Havisham, with all her cobwebs and yellowed wedding dress… and one shoe. And, I can’t say that the name Wopsle is one I’ve ever heard lol. What a mind this man Dickens must have had.

I’m glad I read this book. And I would say that it’s a good one for most people to read.  It isn’t quite as dark as other’s he’s written .   I also need to say that more than likely I never would have even attempted any book by Dickens had it not been for reading the fantasy fiction book “Drood”.  It peaked my interest for both Dickens and Wilke Collins. Since then I have read books by both authors.

I have other Dickens books here to read but I don’t think I can read them back to back! However, I will get to them in the tbr pile sooner or later! Possibly, the next book by Dickens will be the Pickwick Papers.

Maybe now it’s time for you to try a book by Dickens??  After all…. he isn’t only for at Christmas time!

6 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Like you, I have not read a lot of Dickens, and this book was not required reading in my High School, as much of Dickens was also not required.....I don't think I am going to attempt reading it---I think YOU are a very 'bright bulb', and if you had trouble with many paragraphs----Well, there is no doubt in my mind I would find the whole book hard-going...!
I guess I'll stick with the Movie Adaptations....lol!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Great Expectations is the novel I've forgotten twice :) It was required reading for me in high school and college. (Probably why my mind decided to erase it...)

I am definitely a Dickens fan though. Pickwick Papers is such a fun, fun book!!! It is definitely enjoyable and not really dark at all!! It has some great comic characters in it and there are just so many funny scenes!

9:15 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: no not a bright bulb I'm afraid but I think I do well in the common sense area lol

Becky: I've heard that Pickwick is funny so I may pick it up a bit sooner then later!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Glad you enjoyed this, Pat. I haven't read Great Expectations since I was a teen. Thought I might reread it this year, maybe for RIP in the autumn. I did see the BBC adaptation at Christmas though, and thought it was very good.

I've never read Pickwick but really want to at some stage. One 'new to me' Dickens I plan to read this year is Our Mutual Friend. And the biography they're all talking about sounds good too.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I read this many years ago when I was in high school and didn't love it. Glad to hear you are giving Dickens a try. I think Oliver Twist has been my favorite so far.

11:40 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: I keep hearing that Pickwick is a bit comical.. I am very interested to see Dickens comedic side! I read one bio of Dickens by Fred Kaplan ...it was very large and I doubted it would hold my interest but it most assuredly did!

Kathleen: I think David Copperfield and Oliver Twist are down on my list as I have seen the old movies so many times that I know the basic story, so I am reading things I don't remember seeing in a movie form !

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home