My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Cottage by the Sea

A Cottage by the Sea by Ciji Ware.

Paperback: 544 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark (June 1, 2010)
ISBN-10: 140222270X

ciji3[1]

Amazon.com Review

What would you do if you caught your sister in bed with your husband? Chances are at the very least you'd nix your relationship with both of them and run as far away as you could get--especially if the story is going to be plastered all over the tabloids. This is exactly what Hollywood mogul Blythe Stowe does. She heads to England and the Cornish Coast. There she steeps herself in Daphne du Maurier's wonderful novels, finds love with an Englishman, and discovers family secrets that have been long concealed.

Well now.. when I read the blurb and Amazon review, I thought this book sounded good. It takes place in Cornwall and there’s mystery about “family secrets”.  That was enough to convince me to read it.

At first I got  worried… it didn’t take long and you knew there was going to be a romance.  I don’t intentionally read romance stories, they just never made it to my *must read* lists.  But other parts of the story did start to be interesting. ..so I read on.

Somewhere along the line, romance or not, the story did grab me and I found I was enjoying the book very much.  There was a little bit of “there must be a better way” when it came to how Blythe seemed to go back in time to the family history..but even that seemed to not bother me so much as the first time it happened.  Soon I was hooked on the back story and the now story…and it was in Cornwall, and Ciji Ware did her homework and made the actually setting in the real Barton Hall Gardens which is located on the coast of Cornwall between Mevagissey and the River Luney, near Hewaswater.

The author  tossed in the fact that it was near the home owned by Daphne du Maurier and that the people who live there were admirers' of her books.

There are some love scenes in the book which i skimmed over.  I’m not prudish but when you are young you enjoy those scenes, when you are old and alone you just sorta feel like: been there done that fell in love etc. lol.  But over all this book was surprising, and although it was a bit out of my reading zone,I can say it is a really good read.  (at times I couldn’t leave the book down !)  I guess ever since The Thirteenth Tale, family secrets makes for good reading!

If you like books based in Cornwall with a touch of romance and a bit of early history tossed in you will probably enjoy this book.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I am glad you mostly enjoyed this... I tend to avoid romance scenes, too, but that's just me.

7:06 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It does sound like an interesting book, Pat...And interesting, too, because it is out of your usual fare....

Thanks so much for your lovely understanding words regarding my brother....What's so hard is he was a part of my life for 81 years..(Well, in a few days it will be 81 years...) And the shared experiences and shared memories---well, no one else has the same ones now.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I don't mind a bit of romance so will keep an eye out for it and also add it to my list of books set in Cornwall.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

It's lovely that you enjoyed a book set out of your comfort zone, Pat! That's always fun when that happens, isn't it?

I'm not big on romances either, so am not likely to read this. Despite the Cornwall setting! which I do like.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home