My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

All Things Bright and Beautiful

All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriot.

Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin (August 1, 2004)
ISBN-10: 0312330863

  51fr[1]

 From the Publisher

The Yorkshire veterinarian who has captured the heart of America with his beloved and wonderful autobiographical books here presents his best-selling sequel to All Creatures Great And Small. Bursting with warmth and laughter, you will fall in love with James Herriot's very special celebration of life.

If you ever need to be reminded how wonderful it is to stop and smell the roses even though your life is fantastically rewarding… this is a book you should read.

Actually is the second book to a series that Herriot wrote about becoming a country doctor for both big and small animals , his experiences, his neighbors and customers, his love of animals.. and the love of the countryside that he is lucky enough to be working in.

They are feel good books…

They are the love of life and all that goes with it..

If you need a calming effect on your life grab the first book “All Creatures Great and Small” and begin reading.  It’s everything you wish life could be.   However… heh.. if you are squeamish hearing how he puts his arm in to help birth a cow… there might be a few parts you will skim over…but they aren’t too descriptive.

I could never write what these books are really like.  All I can say is that he writes about his life becoming an animal doctor and his experiences with both the animals and the people who own them.  He was a man with 2 careers… first and foremost he was a Veterinarian and second he was a damn good author!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kailana said...

I have seen Herriot around the book shops, but never read him. Glad you liked it!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Strangely, although I saw all of the TV series in the 80s (I think), I can't remember if I read the books. I think so, but am not at all sure. I do know they are delightful though as loads of people love them. Glad you do too, Pat.

12:17 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love the name of this book--Stephen Sondheim wrote a wonderful song for his musical "FOLLIES" back un 1974-75 called "ALL THINGS BRIGHT AND BEAURUFUL".....I must get this book!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I read every one in the series, many years ago! The book tells more about people than it does animals. By the way, have you ever seen the PBS series based on the books? It is very much true to the original story.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Daphne said...

Oh, I love these books so much! They are my go-to read if I am sick or depressed. I adore them!

1:21 PM  
Blogger GeraniumCat said...

I really enjoyed these books - I thought some of the detail about veterinary medicine at the time was fascinating. Social history and funny too - what more could you ask?

1:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

20kelly: they are feel good books..and we all need those!

Cath: I never saw the pbs shows I wish I had!

Naomi: I think you would like the books!! and I wish I had seen the movies

Donna: I am going to have to try to find these movies "used" lol

Daphne: yes,they are a feel good book!

Geranium... some of the treatments sounded really ancient lol but the stories are just so good you overlook that part

2:20 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I need to read this series. I love animals and find there is nothing like the relationship we have with our pets or animals in our lives that we love.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home