My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Old is New

A few days ago I went to take 5 books to the used books store. (Friends of the Library). And as usual I came home with books.  At least I brought more than I came home with that counts for something, doesn’t it? lol

Anyway.. this first book “the Return of Sherlock Holmes” I saw and when I flipped through it I saw that the printed it “as it appeared” in the Strand Magazine that Conan Doyle wrote for!  Check out the pictures…

sherlock1[1]

Note the double columns!

sherlock2[1]

… and the fantastic art work on nearly every page! All by the original artist Sidney Paget!

sherlock3[1]

Is that neat or what?!!  I had to have it!  The Chances of my reading this copy isn’t great though because of the small print.. but I still had to have it!   Cost: 3.oo.

And then I found a book I look for every time I go there… and this time I found it!

Chariots of the Gods by Erich Von Daniken.  I still have my old OLD paperback which I can’t read anymore from small print and brown paper! 

I was thrilled to find this hardback copy in very good condition!  The cover is beginning to brown on the edges but the inside is still very good!

gods1[1]

Sometimes something very cheap can make me quite happy!   Cost:  1.oo !!!

gods2[1]

I’m also proud that I only brought home 2 books! lol

So, has anyone else found any special (hard to find) books  lately????

8 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You did GOOD!!! That Holmes book is a real treasure, and the seconf book, too. I think you showed great restraint only getting two books, Pat! Congratulations on these "finds".

1:45 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

The Sherlock Holmes is absolutely wonderful, Pat. I love an illustrated Holmes and for $3 that's a real find. I wouldn't have left that there either!

5:30 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Naomi: The hard part is most books are only 1.00 so you say to yourself "maybe one day I'll read this".. when you most likely wont but you come home with it anyway! lol

Cath:I thought you might like that one the Illos are outstanding!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I read Chariots of the Gods and despite one VERY dated chapter, I thought it was really good! It needs to be edited for a new century, though.

3:08 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

There's a lot from the book on the series about Aliens on the cable History channel.. I liked that many of the questions he asked made me think and wonder.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Good for you, lady! Both on the wonderful find, and on keeping your acquisitions down to two. :P

8:42 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I love finding little treasures like that Holmes book :D That is such a little treat to have! I'm like you…if I find something cool like that, I just have to have it for my collection even if I won't read it, lol. And you have me really tempted to read Chariot of the Gods!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

What a wonderful find in the Sherlock Holmes book, Pat, it really is with the illustrations there too. I'm thrilled for you that you finally found a book you were looking long for, that's so fun when it happens, isn't it? I know we had it long ago when I was a child, my mother read it. It wasn't my thing, though it has interesting ideas in it. I hope you can read it and enjoy it often, Pat :)

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home