My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

July Wrap-up

For the Month of July I read 6 books!

julybks[1]

1.The Lost Hours................Karen White

2.The House on the Strand.......Daphne du Maurier

3.All Things Bright and Beautiful..James Herriott

4.Dragonflight..................Anne McCaffrey

5.Dragonquest...................Anne McCaffrey

6.The White Dragon..............Anne McCaffrey

(2168 pages)

I have to say, it was a good reading month.  I enjoyed all the books I read. And especially the books I REread: Dragonflight, Dragonquest and the White Dragon.

I have come to enjoy Karen White’s writing and of course Daphne du Maurier, and James Herriott is just so enjoyable and calming that I would be shocked if someone didn’t like his books.  

Then of course there is Anne McCaffrey.  She wrote many more books about Pern and the dragons and people of Pern but this first trilogy and the Harper Hall trilogy and the separate book on Master Harper Robinton are my favorites.  But I wouldn’t have “not read” any or her Pern books.  It’s like going home. 

I was so sad when Anne McCaffrey passed away, knowing the person who’s wonderful mind made the most fabulous characters and most unforgettable dragons in the world had gone “between”.  I will be forever grateful that long ago, I had the opportunity to meet the grand lady at a convention.

It saddens me to realize that of the four authors I read this month, only one remains to write more books for me to read. But I have yet to read all of Daphne du Maurier’s books.  I think my next of hers (when I can find it) will be Frenchman’s Creek.  It seems I have a love for books that take place in England.. especially older books.

So..  that is it for me for the month of July.  I am having a hard time letting go of Pern to get myself involved in another book yet so August may not prove to be one of my better reading months!

Until then… Happy reading to everyone!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Fantastic reading month in July for you. Looks like you beat the Florida heat by reading!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Fantastic list of books for this month, Pat. All books that I already love, or think I might. Trouble is, it can be hard to follow a month like that, as you said.

6:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kathleen: well it helped that I still can't walk on my foot and had to keep it "up" in the recliner as much as possible..so I read more than usual lol

Cath: actually, page wise, last month I read about 400 pgs more. but I have to say I haven't been able to "leave Pern" in my head yet so I tried to begin a book but it's just sitting and I am more watching the olympics..but it's because I haven't left Pern *sigh

5:54 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Great month Mama!!! I got six books read this month too!! Shocker for me :p

1:00 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: it sure won't happen this month! all I am doing is watching the olympics !

7:50 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

It was a good month for you! I need to read more of du Maurier's work. I've only read Rebecca and some of her short stories. All good stuff. Very good stuff.

It is hard when authors we love pass away, also actors. There is something profoundly sad about the fact that they won't be creating characters or worlds anymore that capture our imagination.

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home