My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Nine Coaches Waiting

rip7200[1]

(Book 1 for RIP)

Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart.

Paperback: 352 pages
Publisher: Chicago Review Press (May 1, 2006)
ISBN-10: 1556526180

9coaches[1]

Book Description

A governess in a French château encounters an apparent plot against her young charge's life in this unforgettably haunting and beautifully written suspense novel. When lovely Linda Martin first arrives at Château Valmy as an English governess to the nine-year-old Count Philippe de Valmy, the opulence and history surrounding her seems like a wondrous, ecstatic dream. But a palpable terror is crouching in the shadows. Philippe's uncle, Leon de Valmy, is the epitome of charm, yet dynamic and arrogant—his paralysis little hindrance as he moves noiselessly in his wheelchair from room to room. Only his son Raoul, a handsome, sardonic man who drives himself and his car with equally reckless abandon, seems able to stand up to him. To Linda, Raoul is an enigma—though irresistibly attracted to him, she senses some dark twist in his nature. When an accident deep in the woods nearly kills Linda's innocent charge, she begins to wonder if someone has deadly plans for the young count.

When I saw this book in a used book store, I thought it looked like a book for RIP. Then I saw the author was Mary Stewart who’s Arthur/Merlin books I had enjoyed eons ago and so I took it home.

Admittedly, I did begin reading this before Carl put up the RIP announcement but hey, it fit so I am using it as my 1st RIP read!

Upon reading the first 70 pages or so I thought maybe this wasn’t for RIP after all. It talked about Linda who went to France to be a governess to a young boy named Philippe. It went on letting you learn of Linda and how she came to become a governess and such.. it was interesting but not “wow”. Then about half way thru the book someone started the car and the story took off like a dragster going well over 200 mph!!

The mystery part of the book began in an instant and didn’t let up until the end! It went for an “ok” book to being a good book!

For many it might not be their cup of tea. It does have a slow beginning. Or I should say, half a book. I found the second half made up for it , but that might not be for everyone.


11 Comments:

Blogger samantha.1020 said...

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed this one! I'm reading Rough Magic by Stewart right now and it has had a bit of a slower start as well. The action is starting to pick up though so I'm going to hang with it. And even though I started this book before the challenge I'll probably count it as well :)

10:33 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Samantha: ohhh good another review I can read soon ! I always read more then I say I will..so I commit to very few and read all I want and review them all as well!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like Mary Stewart, and Nine Coaches Waiting was the first book of hers that I read. Glad you ended up enjoying it despite the slow start!

3:54 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

youbookme: yes, me too! lol I loved her Arthur/Merlin trilogy which was the first of her books I ever read.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I haven't read Mary Stewart in years. I adored her Merlin books but never tried any of her mysteries. I have Touch Not the Cat so I must put that right sometime. This one sounds quite good too.

7:00 PM  
Blogger GeraniumCat said...

I didn't list this as one of my RIP books in my post, but it's actaully on the TBR pile, and is one of my "Century" books that I'm thinking of including. I like Mary Stewart a lot - read The Ivy Tree recently - and loved her Merlin books. Happy RIP reading!

4:10 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath If you read her books I hope you like them.. I think I am too much loving her merlin books and can't get to loving more of her books like those

Geranium cat.. it that the one that's like 700 pages? If you read it I'll be interested in the review

4:14 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Interesting pacing on this one, huh? :P Glad it eventually grabbed you though!

You're an over-achiever just like your adopted son Chris, you know, finishing an RIP read already and putting the rest of to shame... ;)

5:12 PM  
Blogger Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

It's always nice when a book changes direction and the mystery is a nice little wallop!

3:03 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Your description of how the book started off vs. how it ended reminds me of the experience I am having with The Little Stranger. I'm loving every bit of it, but the gothic elements are so minor and sparse that it is easy to forget they are going to be there until the crop back up.

I can see why this one caught your eye for R.I.P., that cover image is amazing. Such a perfect, creepy looking house. I haven't read any Mary Stewart but I've heard good things.

5:31 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I loved the way you said that 'about half way thru someone started the car and the story took off'. I've read Touch Not the Cat by Mary Stewart but to be honest was a bit ignorant about all her other books. I'm intrigued by the Arthur/Merlin books and will definitely go and look those up.
Thanks
Lynn :D

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home