My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Reading Material

Sigh.

I probably don’t have to say any thing else.

Why do I keep doing this?

Will I never learn?

I already know I won’t live long enough to read all the dang books I keep getting!

So.. why can’t I stop?

ARRGGHHHH!!!………………………

ok, so now that it’s established I have this addiction that is as hard to stop as it is to quite smoking…….. let’s get on with it.

I had been hearing some gossip about a book called: The Letters of Noel Coward.  While in the Friends of the Library (which I should be banned from!) I found the book.  It is in pristine condition.  They did want 3 dollars for it instead of 1 dollar… so I blew the wad and bought it.

noel1[1]

noel2[1]

A few days later my girlfriend wanted to go to the Friends of the Library (groan) and so I went again.

I often look at Biographies even though I tend to read them less than other books, I do enjoy them when I read them.  I saw yet another pristine book that Charlton Heston wrote his autobiography, In The Arena. Even the paper cover was in very good condition. I looked at a section with photo’s of him and my (generally not very good memory) went back to when I lived in California and worked the Autograph shows.  I was helping Jonathan Harris this particular show and Heston was going to be a guest and he would give all his proceeds to charity.  Long before he even got to the show the line was out the door and snaked up and down parking lanes. (I thought I was doomed, that I’d never get his autograph).  I loved Ben Hur and many or his earlier movies and later movies and it didn’t hurt he was Moses!  My memory included the instant I saw Mr Heston walking in the back of the Holiday Inn where the show was.  The was the swimming pool between me and him… and as I live and breath my first sight of him appeared that he was walking on the water!!!  Hey, what can I say? it’s the truth!   And so I thought as I generally do… “oh what the hell.. it’s only 1.00 I might actually read it one day.”  When I got home I had another shock….

bks2-1[1]

When I flipped the pages of Charlton Hestons book I found it was Autographed! (I compared it to the photo he autographed for me and it’s an authentic signature) ( I actually never got his signature at the show but I wrote him and sent along the photo of him as Moses and he signed it and sent it back to me!)

bks3-1[1]

And lastly.. The Black Dahlia Files is based on a true story of a woman named Elizabeth White who went to Hollywood with hopes of becoming a movie star, but instead she became famous because of her murder, which was never solved.

Whelp.. that’s my tale of woe, or if you’d rather… my sad excuse to purchasing 3 more books, that I obviously don’t need….you may as well shoot me , I doubt this will ever stop!

But hey… if you decided to shoot me… let me know ahead of time so I can go and buy a pack of cigarettes and enjoy my last days ok?  danke!

6 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

LOL, LOL....You are funny Pat! Reading is your passion...! What better way to spend your money? This is your love and your life! ENJOY, my dear...ENJOY!

I have the Noel Coward book and it is WONDERFUL!! A treasure trove of a certain period that cannot be duplicated! That, in my opinion, was $3. well spent, my dear!

11:56 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

naomi: ahhh glad to hear you enjoyed the noel coward book! I feel pretty safe that I will too! I am just reading Sam Wasson book "Fifth Avenue, 5 a.m." about breakfast at tiffany's! I loved the first chapter because it kept mentioning dear A.C. Lyles from Paramount!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I am so going to get that Noel Coward book from the library at some stage. Good spot, Pat. I wouldn't have left it there either. And I reckon that Charlton Heston book should be pretty good too. Love reading about your autograph hunting experiences. They seem very exotic to me here in England. LOL. Great post.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

How typical. My comment wouldn't appear the first time, then it comes up twice... *sigh*

12:33 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Enjoy your books, Pat!

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home