My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, May 03, 2013

The Apothecary

once7mainbanner200_zps4cd62b43[1]

(8th book (9th reading. counting short story Pern) for Once Upon a Time)

The Apothecary by Maile Meloy.

Paperback: 384 pages

Publisher: Puffin;  (February 12, 2013)

ISBN-10: 0142422061

apoth_zps455dc6bd[1]

Book Description

A dose of magic could save the world...Fourteen-year-old Janie Scott is new to London and she's finding it dull, dreary and cold - until she meets Benjamin Burrows who dreams of becoming a spy. When Benjamin's father, the mysterious apothecary, is kidnapped he entrusts Janie and Benjamin with his sacred book, full of ancient spells and magical potions. Now the two new friends must uncover the book's secrets in order to find him, all while keeping it out of the hands of their enemies - Russian spies in possession of nuclear weapons. Beautifully written and expertly paced, this stunning and poignant novel will have readers on the edge of their seats.

This is a YA book filled with illustrations!

I needed something easy to read but yet compelling…. this little book fit the bill !

It has a bit of magic!

It has a bit of adventure!

It has a tiny bit of young love!

And it even had “Pip” from Great Expectations! (well, not really but he was an orphaned young boy who could pick locks!.. close enough!)

This was a very enjoyable, quick read, and perfectly written in very short chapters to keep me reading “just one more” before putting it down. But of course “one more” generally turned into two or three more!

The book held very good descriptions of characters and surroundings and also held a bit of history here and there about WWII and the Atomic Bomb. 

I quite enjoyed reading this book and those who like YA books that hold adventure would most likely enjoy it also.  The *magic* parts were quite exciting and made you thing for a moment what it would be like if things like that were possible. (we’d all get into trouble if they were! )

I think the Amazon review gives away enough of the book to create interest, if indeed there would be any, so I am off to begin a new book!  I hope everyone is having some great reading for Once Upon a Time!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

My daughter's family seemed to be really enjoying this one and you have too so that's enough for me. I'll grab it when I see it in the library. Sounds like huge fun.

Yes, really enjoying my OUaT reading, finished my 3rd. book yesterday and just reviewed it. Must have been writing it at the same time you were doing this. Great minds and all that. LOL.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

I read this one a few weeks ago! I enjoyed it! Did you know there is a sequel that was released this year?

9:16 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I love books like this :) With illustrations and short chapters…it's just what you need sometimes! And it sounds like a great story to go with it!

3:28 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I had forgotten about this book. I remember seeing it either on shelves or online and LOVING the cover. I'm glad you enjoyed it. A good YA book really is a magical thing, in my opinion. It touches all the right buttons for me.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home