My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Michael Whelan has Entered the House!

Thanks to Carl who went to the Spectrum show in Kansas and then posted a photo of Michael Whelan’s display… I frantically emailed him and told him to ask “how much” the White Dragon Print was……….

He didn’t answer my email until the show was over so I thought.. “it was too much”.

Then I get this email from Carl saying.. he had a surprise for me..

Ahh yes!  As you will see.. the Print was not beyond my means and Carl was nice enough to purchase a “package” from Michael with each and every thing autographed!

In the mail yesterday came my “surprise”!  Not one print.. not two prints but THREE Michael Whelan prints all with Dragons from Pern!

Today I managed to frame and hang two of the three….

white1_zps54b22c4e[1]

(sorry for the reflection)

white2_zps7f752baa[1]

This second print is in my bedroom… it’s named: A Dragon Aboard. (in the lower right corner you can barely see Michael’s autograph on the print)

white3_zps02815c9d[1]

white4_zps29bdd32a[1]

The Third Print is as big as the first on called Weyworld.  I just don’t have wall space in my tiny apartment to hang this one… so it remain protected at the moment and the photo of it is from the web.

weyworld_zpsd9fae085[1]

As anyone who knows me knows how much I love Anne McCaffrey’s Pern books.  I loved them so much and for so long that more then 30 yrs ago I attempted to copy Ruth and Jaxom on to a piece of cloth and then fill it all in with embroidery thread… it took the better part of a year to complete it…

ruthpern_zps09d413d7[1]

And so… 30 years after i fell in love with Pern, all of the Weyrs, Jaxom and Ruth..and the artist who first painted the book cover… I now own a print signed by Michael Whelan.  It doesn’t get much better!       O.k.  so “better” would have been ME meeting Michael and getting the prints, but seeing as that was impossible.. Carl stepped in to complete the task.  (And “task” it was to find a way to mail these very large prints!)  I am thrilled to own these prints!

And if you scroll back up and look closely at Dragon Aboard.. you will see that Michael drew Anne herself to be in space with her dragon!

There are but a few stories that when I re-read them I actually feel as if I am there.  That the characters are real and the stories reach in and grab my heart.  Pern is one of them. 

So, now as I sit in my reading chair,  I can look up and see the magnificent Ruth watching me and know the dragons are close by.

I can’t thank Carl enough for going thru the trouble of getting them and mailing them to me.  I am very happy that Carl has found the Spectrum show and that such fantastic Artists such as Michael gives their time to be there for the public.

Now the Pern dragons will never be out of my sight or my mind!

4 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I am so very Happy for you, my dear Pat...You now have three True Treasures!! How very dear of Carl to make that happen, my dear!

7:24 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

These are fab!!!! I love them. How wonderful of Carl to make this happen for you.

5:09 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

yes, I am thrilled with them! Most especially the White Dragon. I only wish I could have framed them a lot nicer but their size was against me..the cheapest (according to Michaels Crafts) I could have "custom framed) The White Dragon would have been about 250.00 ..so that was way out of my means..Had the print been only a few inches each side smaller I could have gotten a fairly nice frame for like 50 dollars.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Those look really great framed! I am especially fond of the newest one. I like Michael's dragons but also like his space work and so that one hits several hot buttons for me. It was such a great pleasure to be able to get these signed for you and (finally) wing them your way. So glad you were able to get two of them framed and up so quickly. I'm looking forward to picking up some of my framed prints from SFAL2 tonight.

Even though I don't have the long term affection for Pern that you do, I've enjoyed Whelan's images for these books for several decades now and it has been a great thrill to meet him twice now and both times to have him sign Pern-related material for you. It is a special memory that I will cherish.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home