My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Minding the Manor

Minding the Manor by Mollie Moran.
Paperback: 360 pages
Publisher: Lyons Press;(January 7, 2014)
ISBN-10: 0762796839



Amazon Review:

Born in 1916 in Norfolk, Mollie Moran is one of the few people still alive today who can recall working "downstairs" in the golden years of the early 1930's before the outbreak of WWII. She provides a rare and fascinating insight into a world that has long since vanished. Mollie left school at age fourteen and became a scullery maid for a wealthy gentleman with a mansion house in London’s Knighsbridge and a Tudor manor in Norfolk.
            Even though Mollie's days were long and grueling and included endless tasks, such as polishing doorknobs, scrubbing steps, and helping with all of the food prep in the kitchen, she enjoyed her freedom and had a rich life. Like any bright-eyed teenager, Mollie also spent her days daydreaming about boys, dresses, and dances. She became fast friends with the kitchen maid Flo, dated a sweet farmhand, and became secretly involved with a brooding, temperamental footman. Molly eventually rose to kitchen maid for Lord Islington and then cook for the Earl of Leicester's niece at the magnificent Wallington Hall.
 
So.. sometimes one needs to read something "different".. even if we don't realize it!  This book was given to me by my "Sis" Cath Russell, some time ago.  As usual, it got lost among the other 130 books I haven't read until now.  I began one book, read 100 pgs and tossed it aside.  Then I read American Lightening.. was not thrilled but I did finish it.  Not knowing what I wanted I searched thru ALL my unread books and found I was aghast that I hadn't read this yet.  So.. I dragged it out.  Uncertain about it since I "thought" I wanted another Gothic Mystery.  Boy.. was I wrong!  I flew thru this book faster than any I have read in a long time!
 
When Cath sent me the book she said, "Since you liked Downton Abby so much I thought you'd like this."  It turns out my Sis knows me well!
 
I really enjoyed this book! Here was a woman who began work at 14 yrs old as a Scullery Maid.  Nothing many woman of today would want to do!..  Her story was a true life tale.  Growing up with very hard work, going thru all things a young female goes thru, dreaming of meeting boys and dancing and enjoying life with what little time a job such as she had would give you.
 
It just sucked me in.  I felt what it was like (maybe because of Downton Abby). But also how ones mentality of what she was dong affected her life.
 
Super good read, when you feel you need a change!

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I'd forgotten all about that one. Thrilled that you loved it so much.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home