My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Friday, June 29, 2018

Sitting Bull

Sitting Bull: The Life and Times of an American Patriot by Robert M Utley.

Paperback: 464 pages
Publisher: Holt Paperbacks;(April 29, 2008)
ISBN-10: 080508830X

 


Amazon Review:

The definitive, award–winning biography of the legendary chief and his dramatic role in the history of westward expansion
 
Reviled by the United States government as a troublemaker and a coward, revered by his people as a great warrior chief, Sitting Bull has long been one of the most fascinating and misunderstood figures in American history. Distinguished historian Robert M. Utley has forged a compelling portrait of Sitting Bull, presenting the Lakota perspective for the first time and rendering the most unbiased, historically accurate, and vivid portrait of the man to date.
 
The Sitting Bull who emerges in this fast-paced narrative is a complex, towering figure: a great warrior whose skill and bravery in battle were unparalleled; the spiritual leader of his people; a dignified but ultimately tragically stubborn defender of the traditional ways against the steadfast and unwelcome encroachment of the white man.
 
I'm not sure what to say.

If you are at all interested in Native Americans, and the Hunkpapa's (Sioux) Then this is a very informative book.

I personally think he was a great leader and caregiver of his people. Yes, he killed.  But then again many were trying to kill him and his people.  I will keep this book along with a few others like Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.  To me, it's just sad what "all the immigrants" along with the politicians, killed off the Native Americans.

For one small thing, I no longer get angry with my phone when it says "press one for English". Because in truth.. it is NOT the "native language" of America.  

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Whenever I think of what happened to these poor people when we arrived from Europe my heart breaks for them. They didn't stand a chance.

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home