My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

An Honor.Two Surprise Deliveries...A Contest.. and (of course) Birds

Susan, over at You Can Never Have Too Many Books, has given me an award.

I don't know how creative I've been, especially lately.  I've been a slacker and posting photo's so that I don't have to think.   Well, that and my mush brain has me reading the simplest of books at a snails pace so it's hard to write reviews when reading has slowed down so badly.

Thank you Susan for this award!  I have already placed it on the side bar to be seen by all !!

****************************************

Tuesday My sister in law sent me a book on Birds so that I could maybe identify some of the birds that I have been posting about.. (Thanks again Pat!)

The book is absolutely beautiful!

... and already somewhat helpful!...  I do think my one fellow with head feathers is a tricolored Heron!

Of course since the book arrived not  one of those birds has made an appearance!

**********************************************

When I opened my door to go check my mail on Wednesday I was surprised to find a box from Amazon.  Don't get me wrong... Amazon boxes don't surprise me... but I hadn't ordered anything!

When I opened it I was totally shocked to find a Terry Pratchett Trilogy! I've been wanting to try some of his books but where to begin and how many books are involved was always so daunting for me. 

So.. here was this book.. from whence did it come????

When I finally got to the small print I found that my "sister" in England, Cath, had sent me this book!  

I was not expecting anything but there it was!.. so of course I called her right up to yell at her for sending me a book!  (not that I have any plans on sending it back of course!)

It was a very special surprise .. thank you so much Cath!

No promises where on the TBR list it will find itself.  I would like to do it justice and have my brain working a little more than it is.  I do think there's been a small improvement.  I've noticed while reading Fablehaven that a little more is sticking with me and I'm reading a few more pages before setting it down.  If that sounds bad, it is! Possibly why the doctor is trying to get me on an antidepressant.  I've been on them before and they do help!... my worries are: 1: that doctors no longer seem to try to get you off any medication once they get you on it.. and two: this particular medicine is not one you "just stop taking" because it can do some nasty things like give you convulsions and such.  I've bought the meds but haven't taken any yet... need to talk to the doctor one more time.

Anyway.. I am not rushing into this book because I do want to enjoy my first Terry Pratchatt!

*********************************************

Meanwhile.. a minor miracle has occurred!  I won a contest over at Libra Touches! I won a book.  One I've wanted to read so this is great news!  I won A Charmed Life by Diana Wynn Jones.  It seems to be a book week for me!!  I also wound up having a nice IM chat with Shanra after I  gave her my address. I found out she is still in College and lives in the Netherlands!  It never ceases to amaze me that we can meet people from other countries and act like they lived right next door!

**********************************************

And just so there aren't too many posts without birds in them.. have a look at this...

.... this is the top of the little tree outside by the pond.  I was feeling a bit like Tippi Hedren when she first noticed The Birds gathering near by..heh.

Other than large birds this is the only bird I've seen around here!  They are "crows" of a sort.  (note the "black bird" to the left) The other birds are young ones that haven't turned black yet.

It's very odd that I haven't seen any other small birds.  Even the sky's are void of small birds.  I can see a hawk or Osprey now and then flying but no small birds like Sparrows or Blue Jays... or the equivalent there of.

Oh well, at least mama Moorhen and her babies are still at the pond... even if they are ignoring me!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Shanra said...

Maybe the small birds aren't much around in summer? Where I live it's incredibly hard to find large birds. Last year was the first in many, many years that I've seen another magpie. All we get is pidgeons. Never mind we're overrun by rabbits for the bigger, rabbit-eating birds to have a good hunting ground here.

And yaaaaaaaaay for more books arriving!I hope you'll enjoy the Pratchett book and that you'll get a good chance to use that bird-identifying book! You have a lovely 'sister' and sister-in-law. ^-^ (You do deserve that creativity award, Pat. You take some really, really cool and creative bird-photos! Just look at the ones in this post!)

*hugs* And I hope the anti-depressants will help if you decide to take them. (Though, if you've had them before, why can't the doctor just prescribe those again since you know those work? *hugs* No need to answer that here if you don't want to, mind. Probably loads of things going on that I don't know about that prevent that.)

*hugs* I hope Charmed Life arrives soon and you enjoy it whenever you get to it! Again, I was so happy to see random.org pick your name as the winner! (Er, also, *scuffs feet* I fail at starting conversations. Most of the time.)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

That's weird about the small birds. Like Shanra suggested they might be arouns in the autumn/winter?

I think the American bird book I have is a Peterson one... older than that though. That one you have from your sister-in-law is so beautiful.

Read the Pratchett *whenever*, Pat. I'd rather you read it when you felt in the mood for some British weirdness, than forced it on yourself and then hated it. (You might hate it anyway but... you know.) Oh and it's 'my pleasure', by the way.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I love that bird book. Karmyn has one -- and I'm going to try and find one at the Twice Read store.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Memory said...

That bird book looks wonderful. I'll bet the videos make ID even easier, too. Are they on a DVD in there, or do you access them via the internet?

11:16 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

shanra: how long does it take to fill up a one bedroom apartment? answer: not very long! lol

Hi Cath: well i'm in the midst of Fablehaven right now anyway.. sooo.. we will see what we will see.

Pamela: I don't know if there's any used book stores around here.. not sure I want to find out either!

Memory: dvds? you mean the birds? they are right outside my window.

11:21 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

You know, I've always wanted a good bird book! I may just get this one. I've always loved the illustrations in bird guides.

And that was so sweet of Cath!!!! I've actually been meaning to send you a little housewarming gift myself, but I haven't yet ;)

I'm glad to hear that reading is getting a little easier for you! And I'm thrilled to see that you're reading Fablehaven!! I loved it!

1:17 AM  
Blogger Memory said...

The book cover says it includes video podcasts.

8:03 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I love your pictures of birds---even these smaller ones..lol! That is a strange thing, but maybe the Big ones scare the little ones away....
I hope things get better for you, my dear...and for me too.....I dont know...Life is really hard sometimes, isn't it? Good luck with the Meds.....And How lovely that Cath sent you those books....!

11:51 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hey Chris..just stay on line ! the heck with everything else!

Yes, Naomi..here when we should relaxed and happy we are stressed and unhappy .. makes no sense.
and yes, Cath is my "adopted sister" in England.. she is much younger than I am (I state that grudgingly lol)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Awww, so sweet of Cath! I'm very excited that you'll be reading both Terry Pratchett and Diana Wynne Jones - two of my absolute favourites :D

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home