My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Blacklisting...

In response to a comment made in my blogspot journal by Stewart, where he mentions occurrences in the film industry such as the blacklisting of anyone thought to be a Communist during the McCarthy era...
There once was a man named Edward Dmytryk.. he was a director. I came to know of him because (as you may well suspect) three movies that he made had DeForest Kelley in them. De had told some stories of working with Mr Dmytryk and so he popped into my mind when Stewart commented.
I've only ever met 2 Directors of movies. (I've seen George Lucas, but never spoke with him) One was Nicholas Meyer (I tell my story of Nickie, as I fondly called him around De ..here.) and the other was Edward Dmytryk.
I met Mr Dmytryk quite by accident. Myself and a then friend of mine happened to go to breakfast one day when I lived in Encino. We decided on the Pancake House. As we were leaving and paying our bill there was an elderly couple in front of us. The man was not much taller then myself with pure white hair. I couldn't help but overhear the man taking their money thank "Mr Dmytryk" for coming by.
I may have never opened my mouth to him but as he turned to leave he looked right at me and smiled a friendly smile.
"Mr Dmytryk? Mr Eddie Dmytryk?" I asked quietly.
"Yes, it is," he responded, "Do I know you?"
"Umm, well no.. but you worked with an actor friend of mine a few times, DeForest Kelley."
He smiled again, "Oh my, yes I have. How is DeForest these days?"
From that we had a small chat and he introduced his wife to me. It was only about two years later that Mr Dmytryk passed away. But I will always be grateful that I had a chance to meet him.
Now back to Stewarts comment.. the reason I am remembering Mr Dmytryk is because he was one of those people that was blacklisted. He wrote a book about it which I read a long time ago. (somehow while moving the book got lost and although I could replace it, just never got around to it.)
The book is called "Odd Man Out". It's very interesting if you want first hand information on what it felt like to go to jail and be blacklisted.

Still another book he wrote was Hollywood's Golden Age. Which is a memoir of Edward Dmytryk's early days in Hollywood.

Some of the more famous movies you may have heard of that he directed are: The Caine Mutiny (1954) Soldier of Fortune (1955) Raintree County (1957) . And the three movies he made with DeForest in them were: Where Love Has Gone (1964) Raintree County (1957) Warlock (1959)

"Till next time...

6 Comments:

Blogger Kiyotoe said...

you really need to think about writing a book. Something with all of your stories and perspectives on Holywood including all of your autographs.

We can name it...."Hollywood Perspective: Memoirs of a Fan".

Oops, did i say "we"?

9:50 AM  
Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I agree with Kiyotoe. I think the best story was the one where you annoyed the people at Paramont with your various letters about bringing back Star Trek. Funny..Funny stuff.

I am familiar with most of the films you mentioned by Dmytryk. You know, if you listen to right wing radio and television, you can hear them ramping up for another go at Hollywood. Just listen to Hannity scream about Hollywood liberals and you can hear in his madness an echo of McCarthy's bigoted cries.

5:40 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Kiyotoe: We huh? lol.. ok! lol.. only problem is that everyone else that lives in and near hollywood all have the same sort of stories !

Stewart: did you see the Oscars? Argh! I cringed when Sherry Lansing got an Oscar! What I did to that poor lady lol.. oh well, I'm sure she doesn't remember.. if they ever got past her secretary anyway !

6:33 PM  
Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I didn't watch them. I stopped watching them, for the most part, back in the early eighties. Oh, I stop in from time to time, but overall I just can't stand the politics and nonsense of it all.

I will say though that I saw the Brokeback Mountain montage last year...too funny.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I loved "Raintree Country" and have wanted to see it again for a long time. I loved the book, too. Aussie Rod Taylor was in the movie with Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift.

"Warlock" was an excellent movie, too as were the other movies you've mentioned.

3:23 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

stewart: exactly why DeForest wouldn't go to them..the politics, and why for a long time he refused to say yes to his star on the walk of fame.. politics. Ah well. Not much we can do about it.

Lee: DeForest had a small part in Rain Tree County.. if you watch it again sometime look for him..he's in uniform but does have a speaking part lol..

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home