My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Leven Thumps and the Eyes of the Want

First a short review of the first two Leven Thumps books

Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo
Hardcover: 348 pages
ISBN-10: 1590383699
 
Orphan teen, Leven Thumps has a hidden and powerful talent: he can glimpse, and then manipulate, the future. He is also the only person on the planet wh o can protect the gateway to Foo, a mythical realm whose existence ensures that human beings in this reality retain the ability to dream, hope and imagine.
Sabine, the wicked ruler of Foo, wants to rule Foo..but if he does, no one on Earth will ever be able to dream again.
As Leven hurries to find the gateway between the two worlds before Sabine does, he encounters several friends to help him: Winter, a 13-year-old girl who can instantly freeze things and people just by wishing it; Clover, a foot-high furry creature from Foo who has been assigned as Leven's companion and Geth, the wise but displaced king of Foo, ( at the moment Geth is ..well.. a toothpick!) who alone knows the full secret of the gateway.
**************************


464 pages
ISBN-10: 1416947183
 

Without giving anything away I think I can safely say that I want a Sycophant! This is a little furry creature you see on the book cover with Leven, named Clover. He is one cool dude! He can become invisible when he wants to and has a never empty pocket he calls the void.
After destroying the gateway to Foo Book 2 has Leven and his friends in Foo, where they are trying to get Geth to the Turretts so that he will be turned back into the ruler he once was.
Leven must overcome many new and unbelievable problems in Foo. And to make matters worse Leven digs up aSecret that is determined to whisper the truth to Leven which could be deadly in the wrong hands
Meanwhile back in reality a janitor (Dennis) discovers another “living toothpick” named Ezra (Geth’s alter ego), who is trying to get to Foo. Along the way meet Tim who is Winters adopted father.
*************************************
Hardcover: 432 pages

Publisher: Shadow Mountain (September 25, 2007)

ISBN-10: 1590388003

Some of the characters:
Foo: a mythical realm whose existence ensures that human beings in this reality retain the ability to dream, hope and imagine.


Leven: the teenage grandson of Hector Thumps, the builder of the gateway to Foo.


Winter : a nit with the ability to freeze whatever she wishes.

Clover: A Sycophant from Foo. He is about 12 inches tall and furry all over except for his face, knees and elbows. He wears a robe that makes him invisible if the hood is up.

Geth: Exiled, but rightful ruler of Foo. Transformed into a seed who grew into a tree and then became a toothpick

The war to unite Foo and Reality has begun. Leven must deal with the Want, who is the dream master of all dreams. (he see’s ALL dreams from EVERYONE), as we learn that Leven is the only one who can save Foo from ceasing to exist.

Geth and Winter get separated from Leven and Clover as they are taken to the Isle of Lith where the Want resides. Where the Wants sets him up for what is to come.
While they are dealing with the Want Winter and Geth fall into one peril after another, at least until they continue to believe in fate.
Throughout this book there are times chapters are back in reality catching up with Ezra (the toothpick of Geths alter ego) Dennis and Tim who have to fight parts of Sabrine while trying to rebuild the gateway to Foo for their return.
I’ve enjoyed all three books that Ive read, and would say it’s a great series for YA readers of all ages.
Besides having some really great characters, you get to enjoy Clover, the Sycophant for some comic relief along the way. All 3 books contain their own great artwork, created by Benjamin R Sowards.
The whole time I was reading this book I figured it would come to a conclusion … I figured wrong!
The last page I read went like this:
THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES IN BOOK FOUR: LEVEN THUMPS AND THE WRATH OF EZRA.
(wrath of Ezra?.. wow, that must be one ticked off toothpick!)

……so much for it being a trilogy!

4 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

I saw this one at Barnes and Noble two nights ago and the first person I thought about was you :) I really have to read this series! It sounds incredible...there are so many YA series out there that I just don't know about...but this one really sounds uniques and sounds like a great read!

1:30 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Boy! And I thought I read a lot! You beat us all, I believe, Deslily! :)

6:38 PM  
Blogger Kucki68 said...

Have you read anything by Wen Spencer? I liked his books, Tinker might be a good start.

10:25 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: you surely don't need more books! LOL..

Lee: nah, it only seems that way ..

Kucki68: I'll have to check Wen Spencer out!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home