My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, October 01, 2007

Nicholas Flamel.. where have I heard that Name Before?

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
  • Hardcover: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (May 22, 2007)
  • ISBN-10: 0385733577

  • To begin with I would ultimately say that a vast amount of research was done before the writing of this book! For those of us who recognize the name Nicholas Flamel from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, this is NOT a fictitious name, therefore it is not plagiarism to use the name. There really was a Nicholas Flamel and he studied Alchemy!
    From the book: Born in 1330 Nicholas Flamel was one of the most famous alchemists of his day. Alchemy is a peculiar combination of chemistry, botany, medicine, astronomy and astrology. It has a long and distinguished history and was studied in ancient Greece and China, and there is an argument that it forms the basis for modern chemistry. One day he bought a very special book: the Book of Abraham. It, too, really existed, and Nicholas Flamel left us with a very detailed description of the copper-bound book, which was written on what looked like bark.
    No one knows what happened to Nicholas Flamel. What is authenticated is that when he returned to Paris in the late fourteenth century, he was extraordinarily wealthy. The rumor quickly went around that he had discovered the two great secrets of alchemy in the Book of Abraham: how to create a philosopher's stone, which changed ordinary metal into gold, and how to achieve immortality. Neither Nicholas nor Perenell (his wife) would ever confirm how they had become so rich.
    At a later date Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel's tomb was broken into.. and that was when it was discovered that the tomb was empty. Had they been buried in secret graves, or had they never died in the first place?
    (below: the home of the Nicolas Flamel on Rue du Montmorency, Paris)

    I will admit here that I had a really hard time getting into this book. However.. it had nothing to do with the writing! I was having a difficult time tearing my mind off of the last book I read: The Thirteenth Tale! *sigh*
    But little by little I managed to let go and began to enjoy this book. As I went along I began to suspect that this was not a stand alone book. (large sigh! not again! agggh!)
    This is a story of twin 15 year old teenagers, Josh and Sophie, who because of circumstances get to meet and be friends with a man and his wife who run a book store. Due to other circumstances waaaaay beyond their control, they both learn that their friend is not who they thought he was, Nick Fleming was really Nicholas Flamel!
    A man named Dr John Dee (also a real person) strolled into the store one day with a group of Golems and proceeded to destroy the store, steal Perenelle (Nicholas's wife) and the Book of Abraham the Mage... minus the last two pages which Josh managed to tear out as the books was ripped from his hand.... And what does Josh learn from this? He learns magic has a smell. Nicholas (the good guy) smells of Peppermint... and Dee (the bad guy) smells of rotten eggs. (somehow that figures!)
    Thus begins the story of unbelief to belief. Of what was, and what is. Of danger and intrigue... and the possibility of the destruction of the world.
    I enjoyed this book and am not happy that I probably have to wait over a year for the next installment..but there you have it.
    If I am asked what the weak point is in this book it would be that I didn't feel I had enough of getting to know the two kids that are very much involved in this story. I learn they are twins, they are 15 yrs old, that they have a silver and a gold aura. But not much else about them other than what one already knows of twins being close and knowing each other better than most brothers and sisters would.
    As you read this book you get the feeling that the author Michael Scott, did his homework. There were no "maybe" feelings. They were facts, and you take them as such right from the beginning.
    I hope I don't have to wait as long as I suspect for the next installment, and hope I remember what was going on when it finally comes out! The book will be called : The Magician: the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Debi said...

    I do hope your wait will be shorter than expected! Does sound like a good read.

    1:16 PM  
    Blogger Kiyotoe said...

    If they give ANY hints about turning lead into gold, don't forget me.

    PLEASE!!!

    7:01 PM  
    Blogger DesLily said...

    Debi: me too!

    Chris:I enjoyed the book.. but I've enjoyed others more. I think it was not enough character building.. and a long way to go to the end of the story.

    Kiyotoe: no kidding! I promise to share lol

    3:33 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home