My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 A Year of Reading

This year was a personal all time high number for my reading.

However, I will admit, that until last year I never kept a list to know what or how many books I read.  But until last year I can tell you it was maybe a book or two a month at most. 

It wasn't that I didn't want to read more, I was just unable to.  I was pretty busy taking care of my disabled brother. And when I wasn't doing that I was (for 3 yrs) writing  my own fantasy story.  Now, I can't write anything publish worthy, but there was this story inside me fighting to get out.. and so I wrote.  Then I edited. and edited. and edited. (sigh)

Then about two years ago I went and discovered Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings .  I met all sorts of people who enjoyed reading!    When First I discovered Carl he was holding a challenge to read Fantasy Books.  Fantasy books were "my thing!"   So, I began clicking on the link left and reading all the reviews by so many nice people.

And my wishlist began to grow.

...and grow.

And my TBR pile, which up until then was maybe 3 books, began to grow.

...and grow.

...and grow.

...and grow.

I wound up with a list of at least 50 (more actually) blogs that I'd visit everyday and read their reviews.  And when they didn't have reviews, I read their blogs then too!

I "adopted" a son!

I made a good friend, across the pond.

I made more friends and lots of people who's blogs I really enjoy!

Last year was the first year I kept a tally of the books I read.  I believe it was 72.  That alone blew me away.  72!!  I was shocked!

There were many people who read many more books than I did, but that's ok.. I am very happy at the amount I do read.  I'm not a speed reader and I don't push myself to read more.. I just read because I enjoy the books. 

This year I surpassed the 72 and read 101 books!  I am once again amazed!

Most are Fantasy Fiction, but not all.  I also enjoy a biography or autobiography now and then, and enjoy reading about the early days of making motion pictures and the stars of that era, and I learned that I like some Gothic mystery along the way.

I did something else this year that I promised myself I would do and that was to reread some of my favorite books, which I did! 23 of the 100 books were books that I reread this year.  I still have some more old favorites that I plan to reread this year, but probably not as many as last year.

Of the new books  (I have to say that because of course I'd choose all the reread books.. duh, that's why I reread them because I really like them!) I read this year there are some that really stand out.  This doesn't mean they are for everyone, but they were good for me, and I know one day they will be books I will reread again.

Some of them are (in no specific order):

1- James A Owens books: Here There Be Dragons, The Search for the Red Dragon and the Indigo King.

2- Johathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy: Amulet of Samarkland, The Golems Eye, and Ptolemy's Gate.

3- Laurie R. King's Mary Russell books: The Beekeeper's Apprentice,  Oh, Jerusalem, Monstrous Regiment of Women,  Letter of Mary,  The Moor, Justice Hall, The Game,and Locked Rooms.

4- Diane Setterfield: The Thirteenth Tale

5- Simon Louvish: Stan & Ollie

6- Laura Amy Schlitz: A Drowned Maiden's Hair: A Melodrama 

7- Clare B Dunkle trilogy: The Hollow Kingdom, Close Kin and In the Coils of the Snake.

8- Elizabeth Kostova: The Historian

9- Cornelia Funke's Trilogy: Inkheart, Inkspell and Inkdeath

10- L.M. Montgomery: Anne of Green Gables

Of these I think my favorite came as a real surprise to me...  it would be Stan & Ollie by Simon Louvish. I still can't quite get that book out of my mind.  Running close to being a tie for first place would be Johathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy.  Also, I would add The Thirteenth Tale which I reread this year and enjoyed every bit as much as the first time I read it.

The one (or two) books I'd put on the worst read list are: On the Edge of the Dark Sea by Andrew Peterson and Runemarks by Joanne Harris.

Of all my read only 6  were nonfiction.

42 were written by women!  Wow, I never choose a book by the sex of the author, but a big part of this was because I reread several McCaffrey/ Pern books and more Laurie R King, Mary Russell books.. oh and Cornelia Funke.  They pretty much took over the bulk of my reading this year.  I have a few more Pern books to reread this year and sometime this year Laurie R King comes out with yet another Mary Russell book!!

The only books I read by both a man and woman authors were my rereads from Dragonlance... 6 books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

So there you have it... that's my year of reading.

and now on to 2009!..

 

15 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Happy New Year from your sis 'across the pond', Pat.

I'm hopping around from LJ to Blogger too, this afternoon. And what a lovely post. That's a good total of books for 2008, we have some in common I think. Isn't it lovely when a book surprises you as much as the Stan and Ollie biography did you?

I didn't read much non-fiction this year either. Though I haven't counted the exact number I'd be surprised if it was more than 10, which is a shame really.

And The Thirteenth Tale is *definitely* on my list for 2009!

11:55 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

And Happy New Year from your son too :D

You did amazing this year...I can't believe you read over 100 books! That's nuts. Maybe one day I'll get there. And I hadn't realized just exactly how many books you had added to my wishlist until I read your list of reads this year! Sheesh...no wonder my TBR pile is so big...The one I'm looking most forward to that you read this year is The Beekeeper's Apprentice and then all of the rest of the Mary Russell books. I know those will be great!

12:49 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: with Laurie R King's books it was almost more for the characters than the stories for me at least but both were good so we couldn't help but enjoy them... I'm looking forward to her new one this year..
I do think you will like the 13th Tale but I also think you would like Laurie R King's Touchstone book.. new characters but very interesting ones...

Chris: oh lord! You drive me insane hahahaha.. you read one book in a series, like it and don't go back to the series! How can you do that?!!! And now you are going to read the Mary Russell books??? LOL.. I don't know how you do it lol.. but, i still love ya son! hahahaha.. Happy New Year Chris! I hope you and your family have a wonderful year ahead.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Happy New Year, Pat! I'm glad you had such a good reading year. I really like your top, and I especially look forward to reading the Jonathan Stroud and James A Owens books. I bet I'll really enjoy them too.

And that story you told about how you joined the blogging world and saw your tbr pile grow...yep, happened to me too :P

3:51 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Becky: :o) Hope it's a good one for us all Becky!

Nymeth: both are really good series of books (Owens has more to come it's not just a trilogy) It's just hard to really know how much someone will enjoy something you enjoyed yaknow?!.. I love Owens "storyline".. and love the "main character" by Stroud. a lot of insulting type humor..

3:59 PM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

You make authors and publishers proud! Have a lovely New Year.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

Happy New Year of reading more books. Hugs, Helen

12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! What a good post!

I'm happy about my speed of reading too, except I'd love to read more! Sometimes life just gets in the way, doesn't it.

The Stan and Ollie book interests me - did you write about it?

I've just realised I didn't answer your question on my blog about "The Illusionist" by Jennifer Johnston - it's not the book they made the movie from.

2:37 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Paula: Happy New year!.. I think I'm making up for the years I could only read 2 or 3 books a year!

Hi Helen: I just hope we all are happy and healthy..if I read one book or 100 it doesn't matter, it just matters to feel good! hugs helen.

Happy New Year Margaret!.. yes I wrote about Stan and Ollie. (had to search for it hahaha) here's the link:

http://herethereandeverywhere2ndedition.blogspot.com/2008/06/laurel-and-hardy.htm

Hmm, I'm very surprised the Illusionist wasn't the one made into a movie.. I'll look into it more. thank you!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Congrats on reading 101 books! That's awesome! Here's to many great books in 2009!

Happy New Year!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Happy New Year, Deslily!! Blogging is a great thing, I've come to realize. Not only is it carthic, since my "real" life is so crazy right now, but I've gotten to make so many new friends.

What an awesome list! I'm definitely reading Funke this year. I've probably read more fantasy this year than ever before...and I love it!!

I hope 2009 is a wonderful one for you!

9:36 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Thanks Kelly!

Stephnie: As they say: if you like books about people who love books, you will like the Inkheart series! I hope 2009 is a grand year for us all!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

You read some good ones in '08 that's for sure! Hope your 2009 is just as good, if not better!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Happy New Year, Pat. Great post - I too love how you joined the blogging world, and hey presto, you have a TBR pile! It's such a great way to meet people AND find new and wonderful books to read!! Most of all, WOW and congratulations on reading 101 books this year!! I want to be part of that 100 book a year club too!! I did read more than I have read in a while, though, so I am improving my reading habits.

10:48 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

susan: I never tried for 100 books and doubt I will do that again but there were many good books this past year!

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home