My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Ya Gotta Love When the Mailman Rings Your Doorbell!

Gosh!  The mail was good yesterday!   Not only did the Christmas presents from amazon (my son & Kat) come, but also the book I won over at Thursday Thoughts !  Over there I won my choice of a book from  (where else?!) Amazon, and so I chose a book I've wanted to try but was just as afraid to send for it as read it:  Charles Dickens, The Old Curiosity Shop.   In my sons gifts I had ordered David Copperfied.  I've not read any Dickens so this is going to be interesting!  I hope I like them both!!

Both the Lawhead book and the Christopher Plummer book were larger than I thought they'd be!  I'd be inclined to call them chunksters!.. in fact.. everyone of these books are chunksters! (they will take long to read!)

The Old Curiosity Shop is a hardback and it comes with a "built in" book mark. (a thin piece of material attached to the book)  I have to say, the book feels great in my hands, I hope that's a good sign!

And then.. came the dvds!   Even the box they came in was nice!  Then began to open them..  First inside were some astronaut photos.. and then the beautiful dvds!

Maybe I'll begin to watch them this weekend.. or maybe not ..  maybe I'll just look at them for a while! :o)  but I doubt I'll be able to wait for very long!!  For anyone interested in this HBO mini series they are still on sale at amazon for only 19.99. (that's 12 hours of dvds!... but of course, it helps if you like to learn about the "original" astronauts and their trials and tribulations and actually landing on the moon!)

13 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Hooray for the mail!!!

Happy New Year to you Deslily. I hope that the coming year is filled with joy and peace and satisfaction. You had a rough 08 and I certainly wish you an even greater 09 to make up for all that you had to go through. I look forward to spending the year with you.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Those two Dickens books are really beautiful, Pat. I certainly want to reread some Dickens this year, just can't decide which. David Copperfield or Bleak House probably, but I also have The Old Curiosity Shop, like you, and I rather fancy Great Expectations as well. Decisions, decisions.

12:58 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: nope not my best year for sure... i would say 2009 HAS to be better.. but I know better than to say that!.. but I sure hope it is better!

Cath: They are tomes also! sigh.. I hope I get to them this year, the only dickens book I didn't get that I want is a christmas carol.. love the cover on the one on amazon a hardcover looks like a pencil sketch..I still will get it, eventually lol..

1:05 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Gotta love the mailman :D I hope you enjoy all your new books. The Dickens editions really are beautiful! I should read more Dickens too...I've only read A Christmas Carol, and David Copperfield when I was like 10, but I can't remember a thing!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Isn't the Christopher Plummer book insane? I know he is probably in his 80's, but did he leave anything out? lol

I want that DVD set... I wonder if it is on sale in Canada...

5:47 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Yay for books in the mail! Did the postman ring twice? He always rings twice :p Sorry, just watched that movie, lol.

That edition of The Old Curiousity Shop looks so cool! I think I want to get it now. I haven't read that one...maybe I'll wait for your review first though :p

Enjoy the DVDs...it sounds like a fantastic series.

6:31 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: you read the one dickens book I still want to get lol.. it's my all time favorite movie at christmas time!

Kelly: it's a big book that's for sure! lol.. I hope it's as good as he is an actor!

Chris: you shouldn't be allowed to read blogs! You want to read everything!..*smiling* ..and you almost ALWAYS enjoy them all.. you are lucky you are so easily entertained! hahaha.. I know a highlight of last year for me was your "reviews" you sent me of my trilogy.. i will always keep those reviews!!..

my tbr pile is so big now I have no idea when I will get to anything anymore! Add to that many of them are over 450 pages!!! ooof, I am groaning already lol..

6:46 PM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

Dickens is my all-time favorite--I'll be pleased to hear what you think of both of those. I've read nearly everything by him. DC is one of my favorites, OCS is one of my least favorites. The dishes in my kitchen, though, are same as my mom's (considered "antiques" now, but they have always just been our regular dishes) are the Old Curiosity Shop pattern, so even though I didn't love the book, I still love everything OCS...fun.

12:46 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

happy new year Paula!.. gosh knows when I will get to them! my tbr pile is like 50 bks! I love the Dickens movies, so I hope I love the writing too.. hard to tell since my favorite reading is fantasy fiction which is a far cry from Dickens! lol

5:44 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

You've got a lot of goodies waiting to be read and "seen"....I will be i nterested to reads what you say about the Christopher Plummer book.....I may just have to get this one.....!
FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON was a great GREAT Series! That is a fantastic price!
ENJOY, ENJOY!

HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR, PAT. I HOPE 2009 IS FILLED WITH ALL GOOD THINGS: HEALTH, HAPPINESS AND ABUNDANCE IN EVERY WAY....!

11:38 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Thanks Naomi.. I was glad to see you began the new year with a super fun party!! I missed Lee being at that one!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Charles Dickens ! I don't read as much as you (I wish I did and I need to try), but I love me some Dickens ! (Ironic, I just mentiond him in my new post) ! You and I are on the same page I guess ! LOL ! Happy New Year !!!

8:28 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Daniel: hmmm didn't get this in my emails for some reason, sorry I didn't respond!

I love to watch the Dickens movies, so I am hoping to like the two books...
Happy New Year to you too Daniel!!

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home