My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, July 11, 2009

40 Years Ago.. it seems like yesterday

Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Celebrates Man's First Steps on the Moon

(I took this photo of the moon on July 7th at 5:30 am)

Kennedy Space Center:
Just 40 years ago, the Earth stood still to watch as the crew of Apollo 11 landed on the moon on July 20, 1969. Four days earlier, the intrepid crew of three men, Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, launched aboard the massive Saturn V rocket from Kennedy Space Center, carrying the hopes and dreams of mankind with them.

Apollo 40th Anniversary
Join Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex on July 16, 2009, in celebrating the 40th Anniversary of mankind’s famous first steps on the moon.

Astronauts Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11;

Charlie Duke, Apollo 16;

Al Worden, Apollo 15;

Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14;

and Walt Cunningham, Apollo 7,

will celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 launch at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, and mark the opening of a new exhibit at the Apollo/Saturn V Center, the Apollo Treasures Gallery.

And there's a chance that I will be there!!!!......

 

Every time I speak of the men who raced to the moon I choke up.  I've said it time after time.. they are my hero's.

With each blast off ... I'd cry because they made it up safe!

With each splash down... I'd cry because they made it home!

To this day, over 40 yrs later ,they can still make me cry, they are still my hero's, and there will never by anyone quite like the Astronauts from Gemini, Apollo, and Mercury missions again.

I learned of this Anniversary celebration going on at the Space Center and wanted to go so bad .. I can't begin to tell you.  I mean, I lived in Florida for 13 yrs once before and I was watching the sky when they blasted off and I saw the vapor trail of those who died in Challenger.

 

Oh  yeah.. even today they still make me cry.

I cannot forget the extreme danger they were always in.

(that's not to say todays astronauts are not in danger, they are.. but we do know a lot more now than we did back then.  Back then everything was a first.)

I cannot forget those we lost.

I cannot forget every blast off and every splashdown.

And I cannot forget that we never went back to the moon!..

But now they are planning on going back...many more years later than I  had expected of them.  It will still be about 10 yrs before we land on the moon once again.  I hope I am alive to see it, and to see if the newer generation embraces  it as I did. 

They should.

After all... it's our future.

 

9 Comments:

Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

WOW! That is a fantastic picture of the Moon, Pat. How did you do that? I've never been able to get a good picture of the moon....Would love to know your secret....!

I hope you can go to that Celebration, my dear....I know it will be a rare and wonderful "happening"....As you may remember, I was in France when they landed on the moon, and it was an amazing amazing 'happenng'. To think it is 40 years ago....
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

12:05 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Naomi: it's my first good moon shot ! It's the camera.. its a canon powershot with a good zoom. I got lucky lol.. thanks for the crossed fingers! I really want to go ! I've met Buzz Aldrin once before since I know someone he is friends with (AC Lyles/ Paramount studio) but I'd like to meet the others.. I don't know if they will be autographing and if so if they will charge the huge amounts they do at shows that arent right at the space center I'd like to get one or two... maybe. lol and just to finally SEE the capsules they traveled in and such!! I can't even believe it yet!

12:36 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Thank you for an amazing post, Pat. I'm with you completely - they were brave men back then and are brave men and women today. They carry my thoughts and prayers with them whenever they go up.

And I agree with Naomi - that's a great photo you took!

cjh

1:42 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I've been watching some of the BBC's documentaries about space travel and moon landings this past few weeks - very interesting. The section about Challenger was especially heart-breaking even after all this time.

Wow, that's some picture of the moon, Pat!

6:23 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi cj: thanks! the moon was a lucky shot lol.. and yeah they are still my hero's!

Cath: I have a number of dvds and books on the early race to the moon... i am just sad they took so long to go back to the moon! I always thought our space station should have been built on the moon!

6:37 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oh, I hope you get to go Pat!!! I've always been amazed by space travel. I think it's just amazing. I'm already excited about the next moon landing! I have awhile to wait though :/

8:08 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Chris: I hope I go too! I've never been there and I'd love to see the capsule that took them into space and home again and the rockets! just seeing pictures of them .. they look impossible to have been thought of and made by man!... but it does make you wonder doesn't it? I mean we can do something we never did like go to the moon but can't cure a migraine yet... makes no sense.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

I hope you get to go Pat. That is a great shot you made. Helen

8:50 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Helen..sometimes I actually get lucky with the camera~ haha.

5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home