My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, August 03, 2009

Review & Wrap Up

Since  my brother and David passed away and i had to move to Florida and my depression has nearly overwhelmed me, .. my amount of reading has sucked.

I didn't even do a wrap up for May or June and now it's that time again for July!

But before I give you the meager list of books I am giving you the last book that I just finished reading last night.  It's the book I won from Libri Touches, called  Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones.

Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher: Collins (December 3, 2001)
ISBN-10: 0007124074

From School Library Journal
The story of Cat Chant and his sister Gwendolen, orphaned as the result of a tragic boat accident and adopted by their relative, the mysterious sorcerer Chrestomanci. Cat begins to settle in at Chrestomanci Castle, but Gwendolen hates it. No one—least of all Chrestomanci—seems to appreciate Gwendolyn's magical powers, and after weeks of playing nasty magical practical jokes on the various inhabitants of the Castle, Gwendolyn finally leaves by going into a parallel world and replacing herself in Cat's world with a double called Janet. Cat and Janet eventually find the way to set the worlds right again, with some help from unexpected quarters.

This was a very delightful book for my first Diana Wynne Jones Book.

Cat Chant is a character that doesn't seem to know what is going on in his life, all he knows is that he follows his sister Gwendolen wherever she may go.

Gwendolen, on the other hand, you want to give a good smack to and say "wake up and smell the roses before it's too late" . She boarders on being a "pita" and making me wonder if I want to keep reading.. but I must admit you keep wondering what will become of Cat, and so.. you keep reading.

I can surely see why this would be a popular series with the young people, and would be a book I would read to my kids ..well if they were kids, and if they didn't like reading it for their self. 

Anyway it was quite enjoyable and it rounds out my pathetic list of books for the last 3 months.... but here they are.

The closest thing to a defense I have is that the Bromeliad Trilogy, which Cath had sent me is 3 books in one. Counting it that way all I did was one book a week for May, June and July.

It did keep me going though and I have to say there isn't a book here that I didn't enjoy.

..but if I had to choose one favorite it would be The Sorceress by Michael Scott.  I'd follow it fairly quickly with the last Fablehaven book.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Your cat looks just like I do when I'm indulging one of my favorite habits, which is to smell books. The ink, the paper...intoxicating!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I'm just reading my 40th book, Pat, so you're not doing too badly in my book. (Sorry.) I think it's a miracle that you're reading at all so give yourself a pat on the back.

12:08 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: I really don't care about the numbers but just feel like I should? lol.. I think that anyone who reads even 1 book every two weeks and does that all the time is a good reader! and one a week is fantastic and that's only 52 a year !

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Shanra said...

Does it help if I tell you you never have to see Gwendolyn again after this book? She's a nasty little thing.

Pat, hun, you're not doing badly at all! *whacks her with a newspaper* You and Chris both... That's a good list and made all the better by enjoying all the books you read. (And do count omnibus volumes as multiple books, hun. That's what they are, even if they're bound in one volume.)

Try not to pay too many attention to the numbers, hun. They should only mean something in solitude, without comparison to others. *hugs* You did great, hun.

(Also, I could have sworn I'd replied to this. But maybe I dreamt it. Or something. :/)

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home