My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, August 01, 2009

A Trip to the Beach

The other day my girlfriend came over and took me out. 

After some shopping we took a ride to the beach.  I haven't seen the beach since I moved back here.  This is not the beach in Vero by me but the Beach in Fort Pierce where I used to live.

As we drove past the inlet.. they were doing a lot of "remodeling" and in doing so they planted a lot of full grown palm trees.  I thought this might interest some.. note the boards holding them up straight.

Palm trees have rather small root balls with hair like roots.. unlike trees with large wooden roots.  So, the can be dug up as full grown trees and planted elsewhere.  They are also easy to blow over in hurricanes, since they have such a shallow root system.

my first view of the ocean.   It's been many years since I've seen the Atlantic Ocean. (like over 20 yrs) (but I am not an ocean lover by any means. Give me trees and mountains and creeks anyday)

Wherever the tide line was you would find a multitude of tiny shells.  The west coast is noted for much nicer shells but.. ya get what ya get.

A lone shell... not even as big as my thumb.

Then we spotted some Sandpipers running  around the waters edge.

 

And then we spotted something very strange...

Very strange indeed!

This fellow was looking out at the ocean deep in thought.

We took a better look.. well.. this certainly is no Sandpiper!  Look at those short, short legs!.. hmmm, and webbed feet!

A duck?

A duck at the beach?

Ducks don't do salt water!

Sandpipers do salt water..

Pelicans do salt water..

Seagulls do salt water..

But ducks don't do salt water!

But this one was certainly looking as if he was pondering that really big pond!

It was a duck!  And he was following the Sandpipers around like he belonged with them!  I lived down here for 13 yrs before moving here again.. and I can honestly say.. I have NEVER seen a duck at the beach before!

After the beach we went to the pier where we visited a gift shop..  The flowers surrounding the shop were beautiful. (I may be mistaken but I believe this is a double Hibiscus.)

Leaning over and looking into the water we saw a multitude of salt water cat fish.. my girlfriend bought some "fish food" to feed them.. needless to say she was the pied piper of cat fish!  They followed her anywhere she walked to get the food she was tossing in!

It was good to be out of the apartment for a change!

11 Comments:

Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I remember when I first moved down here. It was so weird to see palm trees everywhere! They're neat and everything but with all the hurricanes I don't think they're the ideal decoration near roads but they somehow keep getting planted anyway. Cute duck!!! Great pics and I'm glad you had fun :)

8:19 AM  
Blogger CJ said...

I'm glad you got out! Your photos are so fun. The pipers are neat - we have Piping Plovers around these parts. There are such things as sea ducks, aren't there? There must be. Our team mascot is Seymour, the Sea Duck. Those palm trees are just crazy.

cjh

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vala here. Glad you had a day at the beach. I love the ocean a lot. Proabably because of being landlocked in Colorado, Missouri and Illinois until I finished college. All I wanted after that was to get to be closer to an ocean so here I am. I used to go a whole lot when I was younger and swim and body surf, play frisbee and generally just hang. I still have to run over every once in awhile just to feel the wind and hear the waves pounding. Still like to bogey board too.
Want to ask you if it would be all right to use one of your photos to do a painting of. I really like the one of the sunset with the fringe like trees in black in the foreground. Think it would make a neat painting. Do you have a copy of the picture or could you e-mail me it, if it would not be too much trouble.

2:48 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a GREAT Outing, Pat...LOVE all those Shells--even though they are not perfect. And that Duck!! WOW! It is so amazing when something of Narure does the unexpected and unheard of....I know it had to be a real treat to be out and about.

3:13 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

What a great day! I love the beach...it's so beautiful. We don't have any here. Well we have some, but they're nothing like Florida beaches :p These are dirty and muddy. I've never seen a duck at a beach either! Crazy! And I absolutely LOVE that picture of the sea shells. Very nice :)

6:02 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Well I certainly enjoyed your day out, Pat, I hope you did too. Lovely ocean shots. To me that looks like quite a young duck... perhaps he or she is lost?

6:35 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Beautiful photos and interesting too. I love the west coast of FL but I bet I could get used to the East coast too. lol

Sounds like a happy day and I am happy you were able to get out.

6:41 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi tink: just learned there are "sea ducks!" never heard of them before~

cj: yeah just learned that ..but the only googled pics I found are very colorful ducks not brown like that one is.. oh well

vala: just phoned you lol

hi Naomi: I am anxiously awaiting more birthday pics on your blog!

Chris: we were only there about 20 minutes... i am not a sun worshiper but would like to go find more birds or things to photograph

hi CAth: heck if i know we thought he was following those sandpipers.. it was funny seeing him waddling after them lol

hi Kathy: i need more days out of here!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, you're making me all jealous and wishing I could have a day at the beach along with you... (I'm not the greatest beach-fan either, though, actually.)

It sounds like you had a lovely day out and birds! The sandpipers look so cute! But the poor duck looks rather bedraggled with its feathers in such disarray. Looks a bit like it may be a baby still, but I know nothing of birds. ^-^;

7:40 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I would have guessed it was a female red breasted merganser. But I'm not sure of what kind of sea ducks you have down in florida.

I'm so wanting to come sit with you and watch your feathered friends while you read to me.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Glad that you got out for a while. Great pictures. I have never seen a sea duck of any sort. You were correct on the flower. Hugs, Helen

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home