My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday Mail: Freebie and Used

I won a book over at Graemes Fantasy Book Review   and it came in the mail yesterday!...  The House of Lost Souls .  It sounds like one I may try for Carl's RIP challenge .

I also sent for a used book (I am embarrassed to tell you how cheaply I found it!).. anyway... while taking photo's of them BooBoo decided to get into the act...  At first he seemed interested in the used book, The Merchant Prince, which I sent for, for two reasons, which I will tell you in a moment..

But then, as I readied to snap a photo of both books, he seemed to have decided that he would hoard them both!

I had to remove the cat from the books!

Ok so.. The Merchant Prince.  It was on my wish list ever since I met Armin Shimerman, which as you can see from the photo is the author of the book. .... along with a second author, Michael Scott, who has been writing the Nicholas Flamel series of books which I have taken dearly to. 

 

So that gave me two reasons to want the book.  One: Armin is a super person/ actor (and I wanted to check out his writing) and two, over the time it has taken me to read his first 3 books of this 6 book series,  I have become a fan of Michael Scott!

I guess I can add a third reason: once again the book included John Dee.. and Michael Scott has a hold on me concerning Flamel and John Dee in much of any way.

ok.. now.. a closer look at the cover..

just in case the name Armin Shimerman is unknown to you, it is possible you recognize him?

Ummm that would be Quark from Star Trek!  When I saw the cover I thought that was soooo great that it was painted in his likeness!!  The artwork is done by Jerry Vanderstelt.  Who did a marvelous job painting Armin's face for the book cover!

Other than that and the fact I am still reading "Farwalker" things are quiet here.. I do have more bird posts ready for posting.. I guess I am grateful that they have given me something to put up on my blog when I don't have a review.. and lord knows, I am not a speed reader!

This year my reading numbers well be very low, but knowing I broke 100 last year let's me know I read a lot when I can.. and when I can't. I still enjoy what I do get to read.

15 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

Oh, that is so weird to see Armin on the front of that fictional story. But pretty neat!

I'd like to say it's quiet here too but the noise of the tree cutting machinery in the front garden is horrendous...

7:00 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Awww...BooBoo Kitty is just so precious!!!

I'm having a really slow reading year, too. But like you said, at least what reading is getting done is enjoyable.

9:50 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Oooh, so I think I'm going to post The Book of Lost Souls to my wishlist! It looks really good just by the cover. It really does look like a perfect RIP read.

And the cover for The Merchant Prince is so cool!!! How neat is that for Armin to get his own face on the cover of his book! :)

I love the pics of Booboo :) He's adorable.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww! BooBoo Kitty is so adorable! And congrats on winning another book, hun! ^-^ That must've been a lovely surprise!

And now I get to see the book you were telling me about! I hope it'll surpass your expectations when you get to it. It has a gorgeous cover and I agree with Chris - how neat that he gets his own face on the cover of his book! (You simply have to bump this up on your reading list, Pat, because I want to hear your thoughts on it!)

*huggles* Don't worry about not being a speedreader, hun. It's enjoying the books you do read that's the more important part. I'd rather read a tenth of the books I tend to read in a year and enjoy them all than read 100+ books and hate the majority of them!

4:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cath: well i hope they cut down all the dead stuff too so if a storm happens branches dont come down.

Debi: I don't push the issue.and very few books I read are graphic or under 250 pgs so I think I am ok ..numbers wont be high but the reading is "quality"

chris: I found out there's a sequel to Armins book! naturally, why would I ever think I got a stand alone book? lol lol

hi libri: lol.. you know my tbr list is long..i should bump up half of those books LOL.. each time I finish a book I look over the tbr books and choose what I think i feel like reading at that moment...

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vala back. That painting does look like Armin. I have met him as well and he was quite funny. I just finished Angels and Demons and I agree with most others who have read both that and the DaVinci Code, that A&D is the better book. I am now going to start on my next book. I think it will be An Irish Country Doctor. I ordered it from the bookstore where Sporangia works. I probably should read one of Charlene Harris True Blood series since she is to be here for a writer's conference this week. I have a new Sci Fi book called Prefect I want to read soon. Sporangia was here last night and we tried to scan some pictures so I could put them on lj, but couldn't get my scanner to show up. Hopefully when I ran Ccleaner last time, I didn't delete it or something. Well back to lj now.

4:45 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Vala: if you can't get your scanner to work right now, do you have a digital camera that you can load pics on your computer? (autograph pics I scan, but most books and pics of birds and pics from shows I load on via the digital camera)

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Daniel said...

Your cute kitty is well-read !!! And, for the record, I love your bird posts !!!

3:01 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Oh I just love this cover! Booboo is such a cutie. I have a solid black cat and I've been thinking about getting a solid white one and naming her Moonie. Of course, knowing me I'd fall for a cat that already has a name or something lol. Isn't that Principal Snyder from Buffy?

2:51 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

daniel: tweet tweet thanks lol

hey tink: yes Armin played Principal Snyder and many many parts, I actually discovered him in the old tv series of Beauty and the Beast. Here's his list of credits: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001734/

3:07 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

How funny, I just did a post a few minutes ago that included Jerry Vanderstelt artwork. The world is indeed a small place!!!

I can definitely see why you wanted that book, it has to be fun with Armin in on the deal. Loved his character in DS9! I've been missing that series a lot lately.

11:46 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Carl: I am on my way to your blog now! lol and yes Armin was great as Quark and he's done a lot more than most character actors so check out his credit list on IMDb.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Boo Boo is so white and bright and curious. Well, for years I have told my girls that cats read with their paws, that's why they try to get onto the books, the newspaper and magazines we read!

6:48 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Both of those books look really good! I will have to keep them in mind. :)

12:32 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: i've seen house of lost souls around.. ghost story type i believe.

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home