My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Tortoise and Turtle

I was dusting off my bookshelves when I spotted two books I had taken of my brothers when I moved.  They are highly illustrated childrens books which he loved because then he would draw the pictures from them on to t-shirts for relatives who had small children, or the renters next door.

If the book interests you, the best you will be able to do  is to find a used copy.

I will be doing TWO posts because of all the photo's involved... so check below this post when you are done.

Tortoise and Turtle by Evelyn Gendel and artwork by Hilary Knight.

Publisher: Simon and Schuster; 2nd printing edition (1960)
ASIN: B0007E0WX4

The best way for you to get a good idea of the artwork involved is to do many photo's.. which I did, and I apologize to those who are on dialup.

  • This little book has a lot to do with teaching meaning of words.

    "Dally?" said Turtle.

    "Not fast," said Tortoise.

    "Is fast Good?" said Turtle.

    Hopper said, "Fast is Be here sooner."

    (another page)..

    "how we are all different outside," said Turtle.  "hare has the softest fur, Little Ball is all bristly, and we have shells."

    "Biological," said Tortoise.

    "What is That?" said Turtle.

    "Covering suitable to the occupation," said Tortoise.

    "Occupation," said Turtle.'

    "Feathers fly," said Tortoise in his lecturing voice. "Fur hops, bristles roll.  Shells walk."

    "Oh, " said Turtle, "Tortoise knows everything."

    But mainly this is a story of a great gala feast.. entertainment and refreshments and conversation.. planned and given by Tortoise and Turtle for all the animals.  How they think of everything and how their party turns out to be memorable.

    (I also did a small post on my "other" blog ..here)

  • 13 Comments:

    Blogger Ana S. said...

    I absolutely love the art! Maybe I've been looking at the wrong books, but you don't see many illustrations in this style anymore, do you? This is really beautiful stuff.

    9:36 AM  
    Blogger DesLily said...

    Nymeth: old books, old art...makes you wonder why they could put so much art in a book years ago but don't or can't now.

    9:44 AM  
    Blogger chrisa511 said...

    I agree with you and Nymeth...you sure don't see that type of beautiful art much in books anymore. I just love all of the illustrations that were done from say 1930-1960. There was a really great illustration style going on those days for childrens books. Every time I'm at a book sale and am lucky enough to find old books with illustrations, I try to pick them up!

    1:56 PM  
    Blogger DesLily said...

    chris: the only early books I remember with illustrations were the "golden books"...

    2:27 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is beautiful, a real treasure. If I get around to reproducing one day this is definitely the kind of book I would love to read to the monsters :)

    10:54 AM  
    Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

    What gorgeous illustrations! I can see why it would have been a favorite of your brothers and of anyone fortunate enough to possess a copy. The skill of those illustrations is amazing.

    1:08 PM  
    Blogger Kathy said...

    The art Is beautiful ... but I love the writing more. :)

    10:07 PM  
    Blogger Kathy said...

    And I forgot to say, how nice that you have something really important to your brother for a keepsake. ;)

    10:07 PM  
    Blogger DesLily said...

    rhinoa: well i hope someday you feel as if you want to be a mom!

    Carl:there are so many artists and yet so few books like this anymore!

    Kathy: I have all the art books he most liked to draw from ..funny thing is that I had those books for myself already from when my X and I painted pics on motorcycle tanks! (though I was never the artist my brother was, but that never bothered me lol)

    9:15 AM  
    Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

    Yes, books like that are unfortunately all too rare.

    1:16 PM  
    Blogger Pamela said...

    pricless illustrations.

    11:24 AM  
    Blogger Cath said...

    These two books you've photographed here are just beautiful. I wonder why you don't see that kind of thing any more? It's our loss.

    12:12 PM  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    Hooray! My mother used to read this book to me in the early 1970's and at last I know what the title is! I now have two sons of my own and I'd love to read this book to them. I remember my mother reading this to me in our apartment in Berlin then falling asleep next to me, worn out from a hard day looking after me and my baby brother.Wonderful memories of almost 40 years ago.

    11:57 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home