My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Sorceress

The Sorceress by Michael Scott.

 

Hardcover: 512 pages
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers (May 26, 2009)
ISBN-10: 0385735294

Amazon.com Review
The third book in Michael Scott's "Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel" series, The Sorceress, kicks the action up to a whole new level. Adding to the series' menagerie of immortal humans ("humani") and mythological beasts, the book picks up where The Magician left off: the immortal Nicholas Flamel (of The Alchemyst) and the twins, Sophie and Josh, have just arrived at St. Pancras international train station in London. Almost immediately, they're confronted with a demonic bounty hunter that immortal magician John Dee has sent their way. At the same time, Dee's occasional cohort, Niccolo Machiavelli, decides to focus his energy on Perenelle Flamel, the Alchemyst's wife, who has been imprisoned at Alcatraz since the beginning of the series. In this book, Perenelle gets a chance to show off her sorcery and resourcefulness, fighting and forging alliances with ghosts, beasts, and the occasional Elder to try and find a way out of her predicament and back to Flamel. Scott is as playful as ever, introducing new immortals--famous figures from history who (surprise!) are still alive. He also adds to the roster of fantastical beasts, which already includes such intriguing foes as Bastet, the Egyptian cat goddess, and the Morrigan, or Crow Goddess. Raising the stakes with each installment, Scott deftly manages multiple story lines and keeps everything moving pretty quickly, making this third book a real page-turner.

Well, amazon does tell it how it is!...

I've enjoyed this series from the beginning.  I think because, even though it's a YA series, that there are many "adults" in these books as well as the central protagonists of Josh and Sophie.

Indeed the as the books go along there are more and more mythical and "historical" appearances along the way. And throughout the books they are either in England, France, or America.

This series just gets better and better with each book!  This one, although it would be deemed a chunkster, was a fast read none the less!  Once it got going the chapters alternated between Nicholas Flamel and the Twins and his wife Perenelle who was trapped on Alcatraz Island. Most chapters were quite short which is something I love and tends to have me read more per sitting.

Normally flipping back and forth between the characters would drive me crazy but the writing is so well done that the instant you thought, "agh!  he can't leave me hanging" with one chapter you instantly wanted to know what was happening on the "next chapter" !

Did I mention that I really enjoyed this book?

I try not to leap ahead and figure things out on my own but let the author deal it out in his own time.  And I have to say he deals it out .. and deals it out.. and deals it out.. nonstop, and at a pace that it's hard to put the book down!

Did I mention that this is one of "those series of books" that will NOT go to my grandson when I am done with them?  heh.

Following all the excitement and thrills to meet so many "known figures" such as Shakespeare and Billy the Kid to name just two,  we find out at the end.. that... oh yes!  we go back to the waiting game for Book 4 to be published, called The Necromancer. I have also found out that there will be 6 books in all.. gads I hope they come out rather quickly so I get to read them all !! (I am of the age where waiting for sequels is not a good thing!)  The Warlock and the Enchantress will eventually follow.

As much YA reading as I do there have only been a handful that I have kept,  knowing I will read them again (or at least hope to).. this is one of the series I intend on keeping!   

So, do I recommend this series? .. you bet I do !!

8 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

You know, to this point I've done a pretty good job of telling myself that I didn't have to have these. But you are so breaking me down here. Seriously, you may have just pushed me headlong over the edge!

And I feel the same way about short chapters...I love them! And for some reason, I always read way more in a session when the chapters are short.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I checked my library catalogue and The Alchemyst is available in Devon, just not here in my town. Rats. It's in my little black book for when I go to another library or I'll reserve it sometime soon.

10:50 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: there are only a few YA series that I won't give my grandson because I want to keep them.. Cornelia Funk's Inkheart series, Jonathan Strouds The Bartimaeus Trilogy, James A Owens Here there be Dragons.. and now this series ..oh and the Septimus Heap books. oh and.. no no.. just kidding lol

Cath: ya know I got the first book long ago and what attracted me to it was in the title "Nicholas Flamel" and I remembered the name from Harry Potter. Then I read it also included John Dee and these were real people! (but magical!!) it's a good series if you like Immortals, and myths and legends.. it's filled with them!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep seeing this series around and have resisted so far. Something tells me though that that is about to change... I will send you the bill ;)

5:08 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

rhinoa: gee, i can't begin to thank you lol

5:45 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

I especially jotted down this series of books to take to my daughter's this morning (along with a couple of others)... turns out she's read them already! Hmph! But she said they were excellent, so you have the same taste as my eldest daughter, Pat!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Oh, I'm glad you liked this. I enjoyed the first one, but I need to keep going!

9:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

they get better with each book!

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home