My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, July 20, 2009

40 Years and Counting

“Houston, Tranquility base here. The ‘Eagle’ has landed”.

The photo is the first of many footprints left on the moon, when Neil Armstrong stepped off of the ladder and on to the surface quoting his now famous saying, "That's one small step for man.. one giant leap for mankind."

  Neil Armstrong

Buzz Aldrin

40 years ago I was only 25 yrs old.  I had two small children and I was glued to the television to see man step on the moon.  Something that not that many years before, was unheard of... it was science fiction, Man didn't go to the moon!  But we did on July 20th 1969!

I've been in love with those Astronauts all these long years.. they have been and always shall be.. my hero's.

So.. I was wondering (for the ummm, older readers)....Where were you for that "one small step?"

And if you were too young to remember it... can you imagine seeing it for yourself when we go back to the moon??

9 Comments:

Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Ummm...I was less than a year old...so I was probably crapping my pants, and not from the excitement of the moon landing!!! ;)

40 years! Unbelievable. I am amazed at what we did and saddened by the lack of progress the space program has made in 4 decades. I'd like to see the government be more responsible in their spending. There is more than enough money, I'm convinced, to do all that needs to be done if only they would quit bankrupting us with worthless spending and bad leadership. Oh well, off that soapbox.

I will definitely be gazing out at the night sky, if the clouds part, with even more admiration tonight.

7:05 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

carl: hmmm well that was more than I needed to know! lOL.. no comment on the government lol.. it would be nice if they took care of their own before everyone else and space is not "just" the final fontier.. it is mankinds future!

7:15 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Pat -

Love that picture of the footprint. It's still amazing for me to think back on it.

cjh

8:44 PM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

I was nine years old that summer and remember being allowed to watch every bit of it on TV. I was enthralled then by space and still am now. :)

10:58 PM  
Blogger Astaryth said...

Oh, and I remember watching that series on HBO when they first showed it, and we have it on DVD. G watches it over and over ;p

10:59 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

me too cj.. makes you wonder how all of that changed their individual lives.. mentally that is.

hey JJ: well at least you were old enough to remember it! And you are young enough to see it again!
yeah it's a great hbo series! I got it for a real deal. I think it sold for 59.00 and amazon put them on sale for 12.99!! sure couldn't pass that up!

5:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Walt,the kids and I were glued to the TV here in Pa. Walt says we still have that TV on the patio !!!

9:19 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I actually wrote about it in my French Trip Posts...because, that is where I was when this Historic Moment happened. That night, as we sat outdoors at dinner in Cannes, we looked at the moon where in not too many hours, They would be touching down. It was somewhere around 3am there in France, when Neil Armstrong made that imprint. It was one of the moat exciting things I have ever seen in my lifetime, up to that time....maybe, STILL!

2:27 PM  
Blogger MilkyWayfarer said...

I was a 12-yr-old girl in a tiny so. AL town when we landed on the moon. My mother & I watched it on my tiny b/w TV in my bedroom. Even then, I loved SF & believed we'd tread on other worlds. I recently wrote a blog article about my personal experience on that historic night; it also includes links to many interesting Apollo sites: Apollo 11's 40th Anniversary. Like Kennedy's assassination and 9/11, I'll never forget that night. I enjoyed reading of others' memories here, too.
Susan
MilkyWayfarer

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home