My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Once Upon a Time is Back!

yiiiihawwwww!  Once Upon a Time is back!!!

SleepToDream300[1]

Carl always does my favorite 2 challenges.  Once Upon a Time and RIP.  Although truth be told there was a time that RIP was not one of my favorite book challenges! (gasp!) But thanks to Carl introducing me to Gothic Mysteries it is now on my favorite list!

So.. Spring has Sprung and Carl is once again hosting Once Upon a Time (I always want to finish that by saying… Once Upon a Time in the West…heh, old movie folks)

His challenge rules are as always: Have Fun!

“Once upon a time…”

Perhaps you too have heard that voice whispering on the spring wind, or perhaps Old Man Winter continues to drown out the sound; either way that time has come: Once Upon a Time is here!

Wednesday, March 21st begins the sixth annual Once Upon a Time Challenge. This is a reading and viewing event that encompasses four broad categories: Fairy Tale, Folklore, Fantasy and Mythology, including the seemingly countless sub-genres and blending of genres that fall within this spectrum. The challenge continues through Tuesday, June 19th and allows for very minor (1 book only) participation as well as more immersion depending on your reading/viewing whims.

I always have a hard time committing to things and so I choose The Journey which is to read one book .(I always read much more but the pressure to fulfill the commitment is gone after the first book)

thejourneysix[1]

I am thinking that this year I will try to read a trilogy that I have had on my shelves for sometime. (sigh).. I won’t guarantee I will do this but it is my hope to read Stephen R Lawhead’s “Hood” trilogy…..

once1[1]

But we all know how good intentions are… sometimes it works, sometimes not.

So.. on the off chance that these books don’t interest me as much as I hope they do, I have a few backup books to choose from: (just a few mind you!..)

once2[1]

In this group we find:

1…A trilogy by Margaret Weis: Amber & Ashes/ Amber & Iron/ Amber& Blood.

2…A Trilogy by Terry Brooks: Jarka Ruus/ Tranquel/ Straken.

3…A trilogy by Anne Bishop: Daughter of the Blood/ Heir to the Shadows/ Queen of Darkness.

4…A trilogy by Naomi Novik: His Majesty’s Dragon/Throne of Jade/ Black Power War

5…Watership Down by Richard Adams.

6…and Spellwright by Blake Charlton.

and there are others I just got lazy on photographing them . But whatever I read it will be with Once Upon a Time in mind.

Then of course…

…there is always..

(..towanda!)…. just the best book ever written!

..however, I have been called impartial when it comes to Anne McCaffrey’s                       The Dragonriders of Pern… although I can’t imagine why!

Animation2pern[1]

And just in case something good comes on tv or (gasp!) I get to go to a movie I will also post any movie related things I see. ( I do hope to go see Mirror at the end of March)

Questonscreensix[1]

So, come on and join the fun!

18 Comments:

Anonymous sprite said...

They all sound like good choices!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

You've convinced me to get my Stephen Lawhead books a try. I've had that trilogy for more than a few years too.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

I don't blame you on the commitment thing. I don't like committing either, and as you probably notice I never do commit to a specific quest on my own challenges. :)

Of course I know you'll end up taking several journeys throughout the three months!

Keep in mind, regarding Dragonflight, that as it gets closer to summer I plan on hosting a group read of it. It may fall outside of this challenge, but it is in the plans.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

hm, I think I should read Anne McCaffrey this year, Pat. I have a couple random books by her, but still no Pern books. A year or so ago I even got you to tell me what to read and I STILL haven't done so. Bad me!

Let's see here. I liked Anne Bishop, but it has been years and I still haven't read book 3. Obviously I wasn't blown away by her. I also really enjoy Naomi Novik... Stalled on those books, too... I love Margaret Weis. I have been toying with the idea of revisiting the original books by her and Hickman.

Good luck with the Lawhead. I have to admit I have tried to read him a couple times and his writing just does not draw me in... I have his Arthurian series and I think the first one in this one. Your thoughts on it might make me try again!

1:44 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

sprite: i just hope they are as good as I hope they are! lol

Becky: it's awful how long mine have sat on the self!!

Carl: i will try to "not read it" till then lol.. no promises, it depends on if any of the other books really hold my interest or not!

Kelly: Carl might to a read a long for "dragonflight" (the first book of that trilogy) so you might want to do it then??
I've had the Bishop book and the Novik one a long time..each time I go to read one of them I find the printing small and not very dark, so hard to read them...
Ahhh you might read the original Dragonlance books??? I love those! I actually rebought all 6 books in hardback!!! those are up there with the pern books for enjoyment!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Well, I've read exactly zero of those books you mentioned. I hope whatever you do read, you absolutely adore! I decided to go "the journey" route this year, too. Want to know what it feels like to not fail for once. :P

I had to laugh at Carl's comment--it had never struck me that he never committed to a specific quest himself. :)

4:25 PM  
Blogger Gavin said...

Oh, Pat. I really should add The Dragonriders of Pern to my list. That series was a favorite when I first read it! I love this "challenge".

10:40 PM  
Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Wow! Time flies...and mine seems to be flying soooo quickly lately :o I am so in on that Dragonflight read along!!!

6:01 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Debi: I don't know what it is with me and "commiting".. if someone needs help I am often stepping right in to help but if someone says "we need volunteers who will help" my hand does not jump up lol

gavin: I've read all the books at least twice..but I've read the trilogy and the harper hall trilogy at least 5 times

Kelly: I hope I can hold off until he want to do it.. (june or july) if the books I've pulled out to read don't hold my interest I will have a hard time waiting!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Oh, really? I am actually reading the little trilogy... I started Dragonsong last night. I guess I will have to make my way through them so I can get around to Dragonflight when Carl hosts the challenge. (This is why you should read the comments above you before commenting yourself... ) I have only read the original Dragonlance books despite owning a whole bunch of the series. I was going to FINALLY move on to unread ones, but I decided I want to reread the originals first...

7:31 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

All of the books you are thinking of reading for the challenge look interesting. I do not usually read a lot of fantasy or fairy tales so I have a hard time picking the right books for this challenge. I like it though because it has me reading outside my usual genres!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

That looks like a terrific choice of books, Pat. I've read the first Anne Bishop, but like Kelly, I've not bothered to read more so cannot have been blown away. I love Naomi Novik's books to bits. The Lawhead books I don't know... vaguely heard of them, hope they suit you.

Now that I'm home I need to sort my post out. The books are already here but of course I came back from Cardiff with several more *coughcough*.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I've read the Anne Bishop series and really loved it! I've also read Watership Down - equally good....and I have His Majesty's Dragon to read, i don't know why I haven't yet, it does look good. And of course, you know I read my very first McCaffrey books earlier this year, and my friend in Dallas is trying to get me to read the Dragonflight series now too! I hope you enjoy whatever you end up reading for this challenge, Pat. I wish we lived closer, we (my daughter and I) could go to Mirror Mirror with you!

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

I haven't read anything by Anne McCaffrey yet and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll have to squeeze something in soon.

11:45 AM  
Blogger The Bookworm said...

Great choices ;) Happy reading!

10:19 AM  
Blogger  Kim said...

My teenage son read the first one of that Lawhead series--but I don't think he went further--the older my boys get, the less time they make for reaiding...sigh...
Lawhead has a special place in my heart as his books were the ones to introduce my husband to the world of fiction writing--especially the genre of fantasy--thus kindling a love of reading he did not have when we first got married. :) Now if I can get him to knit, we would be 2 peas in a pod!
*smiles*

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Cheryl @ Tales of the Marvelous said...

I love Dragonflight--and so excited to see in Carl's comment that there's a groupread coming! YES, in for that. :)

In the meantime, looks like you have lots of great books lined up, and I look forward to reading what you think of them!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I always look forward to this challenge and all of the great recommendations I get out of it. Have fun and can't wait for your reviews!

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home