My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, September 08, 2019

The Wolf in Winter

The Wolf in Winter by John Connolly.

Hardcover: 432 pages
Publisher: Atria/Emily Bestler Books(October 28, 2014)
ISBN-10: 1476703183



Amazon Review

The community of Prosperous, Maine has always thrived when others have suffered. Its inhabitants are wealthy, its children’s future secure. It shuns outsiders. It guards its own. And at the heart of Prosperous lie the ruins of an ancient church, transported stone by stone from England centuries earlier by the founders of the town…

But the death of a homeless man and the disappearance of his daughter draw the haunted, lethal private investigator Charlie Parker to Prosperous. Parker is a dangerous man, driven by compassion, by rage, and by the desire for vengeance. In him the town and its protectors sense a threat graver than any they have faced in their long history, and in the comfortable, sheltered inhabitants of a small Maine town, Parker will encounter his most vicious opponents yet.

Charlie Parker has been marked to die so that Prosperous may survive.

Prosperous, and the secret that it hides beneath its ruins…

I'm not sure what to say about this book.  I did read the entire book. Nice short chapters. The Wolf in the title seemed to have little to do with the story. (at least to me)  The whole town seemed to be  a "religious cult" that also felt they needed to "feed'" their "god" with a human female now and then.

It wasn't my kind of book though I read it all wondering if I was missing something to make me more "into" the story.

There was one paragraph I found myself reading more than once.. it  dealt with a street person:

"Each day is the same, and each day you get a little older and a little more tired.  And sometimes you'd remember who you were.  You were a kid who played with other kids. You had a mother and a father.  You had a husband. You had a wife. You were loved.  You could never have imagined that you would end up this way."

It could actually mean many people, not just street people.

If you like John Connolly I think you will like this book.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

I thought this was one of the weaker instalments. The next book, A Song of Shadows is terrific. Some of the earlier books are also excellent. We went to see him speak in Swansea, so very Irish and funny.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home