My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, October 07, 2007

A Day Away

This photo depicting the Chiller Show that I made, I used from a photo I took of a 3D item that was for sale in the dealers room.. needless to say, I didn't buy it!

As usual, when these guys show up, I spend most of my time with Roger Kastel and Grace (his wife)..

and Ken Kelly .

Picture below shows part of Ken's display... and just a tiny bit of his art work. (tiny bit!)

Along with Ken came Susan, who is becoming a new friend .. she brought along some of her sculpting to show..

... actually she sculpted this dragon from a painting of Ken's.. I'd say she did mighty fine work!

Going back to Roger Kastel from a moment... he had a painting with him that I had never seen before. It's called Creek Mary's Blood.

I fell in love with this painting! I know with all my fantasy reading it's hard to believe but I also have a "thing" for Indians, Cowboys and the old west... so this struck me right away. The painting was a paperback book cover from 1980. I was to find out that this painting is Grace's favorite of all that Roger has ever painted. So of course I had to take a picture of Grace with it....

I'm always learning about these artists I have come to know.. like the fact that Roger had painted some Creepy picturesfor book covers. One is a painting of Christopher Lee as a Vampire for a cover, he also did a Werewolf painting and this little one he had a copy of the old paper back.. the pic isn't the greatest. (cheap camera what can i say?)

I decided to add yet another Kastel autograph by getting a photo of a painting he did for Star Wars..

ok.. so I got two! (but he wouldn't let me pay for them!)

Every so often I would get the urge to wander and look into different areas of the show. One room down the hall from Ken and Roger was dedicated to Boris Karloff...

On a different gadabout I discovered a little item that was way beyond my means.. but would be a great item for a collector like me!

(yeah yeah, it was on Fonzie's table.. and I adore Henry Winkler.. but not THAT much!)

The boys from Christmas Story were out in the main room, where it remained mobbed the entire day!.. I am talking MOBBED! As in: do we really need to be this friendly with all the strangers, mobbed!

I braved that mob but twice in the entire day... once to get to Scott Schwartz (Flick) for my yearly hug..

And the second time (which took an HOUR!) to get to Val Kilmer..

(this is him signing my photo... of...*giggle*.. MADMARTIGAN! Yeaaaaaaaah!)

(not much of a signature for an hour wait! sheesh.. but hey.. I know it's authentic!)

Other than that.. my trips through the dealers room brought me two more "BookWyrms"!

This Green Dragon I have named: DragonKnight. I was only going to buy ONE dragon.. I was determined! Though I saved money for this event, the fact that the taxi cost me 50.00 each way puts a major dent in spending!

However.. (you knew that was coming right?).. by the end of the day when I found myself having been extra good and careful about spending, I made another trip to the dealers room.. all along I was kinds hoping the other bookwyrm I had seen might have been sold... heh.. yeah right sure!

And the blue one below I now call: QuestSentinel. (well I was right..he was sold! only problem is.. it was to me!)

My BookWyrms now consist of Four!.....

All in all... a good day away from home!

9 Comments:

Blogger chrisa511 said...

What an incredible day! That all sounds like so much fun and looks like a little slice of a fantasy lover's heaven :) All of the artwork is amazing!!! And the new bookwyrms are awesome. Especially QuestSentinel. Glad you bought him!

5:00 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

It sounds like you had a WONDERFUL time Pat...Great pictures of everyone and their creations, too!

Thanks for the good Anniversary Wishes! I do dearly appreciate it, more than I can say.

5:20 PM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

It sounds like such a great day. I love the dragon sculptures and the artwork you posted.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Yay for you, what a fantastic show!

You know, of course, that is my favorite Star Wars image that you got signed. It is wonderful. So, did you see the actual painting? I am soooo jealous.

Love the dragons you picked up, very cool!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Kiyotoe said...

I'm pooped just reading about your day.

Your "passion" for the stuff that you love makes me feel like a little excited kid and I'm not even there.

But it's a good thing. Thank you.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

It sounds like you had a great time, Deslily...it's wonderful being able to participate in something you enjoy and love so much. :)

Such awesome art-work.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Kucki68 said...

I am jealous, those Bookwyrms are lovely.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

What a fabulous time it looks like you had! Those dragons are awesome! One of these days I want to go to something like that, but nothing like that happens in my neck of the woods.

4:35 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

chris: yeah it's always a good day out!! My fav of them is BinderBound.

Naomi: I always feel comfortable with "artsy" folks.. dunno why but I do.

Kiyotoe:it's good to have some things that can take you away from the trials and tribulations of everyday life. I hope you have some too!

Lee: it's something I save for knowing it will return! There's always someone to meet and things to see that you don't on a daily basis.

Kucki: where are you from that there are no conventions or shows near by somewhere?

Kailana: there are shows in most states somewhere at one time or another~ even Canada! (I just don't know where lol)

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home