My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Day Out..

There was a small comic show at a Crown Plaza not real far from me. I was feeling a need to get out and try to put my mind of other things, and although, of the few guests they were having I didn't need any autographs I was sorely tempted to go... finally, a friend said she wanted a Lee Meriwether autograph ... I used it as an excuse and went..

The only photo I took that had anything to do with the hotel was this waterfall... it was in the dealers room and totally took me by surprise... it's a good thing there weren't seats near it or I may not have left it all day it was so soothing to listen to the water falling into a tiny pond below.

As I said, my friend Michelle wanted a Lee Meriwether autograph so Lee was my first stop.

I knew she was beautiful because I've seen photo's of her on Naomi's blog when the "ladies do lunch"... but she's even more beautiful in person. It's incredible that she stayed so pretty. Many who are very attractive when young, don't age well.. that's certainly not Lee! It's still very evident why she was Miss America in 1955 !

Above is a photo of Lee after she signed the picture I got for Michelle. I found out that when Lee does these shows... all of the money goes to her charity. And let me tell you.. she had a steady stream all day long, so she worked hard !

Sitting on one side of Lee was Adam West. On the other side was Julie Newmar. Yep, yet another catwoman! I turned and snapped the shot below of Julie. I might add that both of these ladies also did guest spots on the Original Star Trek! While Lee went around trying to touch Kirk, Spock or McCoy ("I am for you").. which would have been the touch of death, Julie was a pregnant alien, telling everyone that "MAC-Coy" was the father!

After I had purchased Lee's autograph for my friend, I took a tour of the show. It was a small show, so it didn't take long to tour it. I was just grateful to be out of the house but within a short amount of time I wondered what I would do all day. I didn't really have money to spend, but in truth, nothing moved me to spend any either! (I know Carl from Stainless Steel Droppings would have gone crazy in the dealers room) So I headed back to see how Lee was doing and to give her a printout I had made of her friend Naomi's blog from Naomi's birthday party that Lee missed because she was working.

Lee was swamped but caught my eye. I was waiting quietly while she talked to her customers when she looked up and asked if I could do her a favor and get some smaller bills for her as she kept running out of smaller bills. I said sure, and got her what she needed. For whatever reason she invited me to have a seat next to her to rest... and as they say ,"the rest is history". Automatically people started handing me the money for Lee's autograph since I was sitting next to her. When she saw this she leaned over and asked if I'd like to stay and help her... oh yeah! you betcha! I soooooo rather be helping someone than to walk around aimlessly!! So.. I spent the day aiding Lee! The day turned out a whole lot better than I ever expected!

At one point during the day someone asked if it was possible for the two "catwoman" to sit together for a photo... Lee moved over next to Julie and people snapped away. Anyone even close by was snapping.. so I did too.. heh..

Later in the afternoon, Lee went for a bite to eat and for an interview. At first we wound up in the same place and so we visited while Lee ate. When the interviewers came I left and went back to her table to keep watch over her photo's...but instead wound up sitting with Julie and helping her while Lee was gone.

Before I left for the day Julie gave me this autographed photo for helping her...

..and the beautiful Lee gave me this one! (I chose the photo, as I love her beautiful hair!)

Early in the day, when I made that one and only tour of the dealers room I saw something that did bring a smile to my face, and if I had money to blow.. (and I do mean blow, because it's surely nothing I NEED!) I would have love to gotten this "sorting hat" from Harry Potter. The box says it talks but there were no batteries in it so I didn't get to hear what it says! Just looking at it made me laugh though, so I took a free photo instead lol. ... but I still wonder what the hat said!

Here is a better shot of the photo Lee signed for my friend Michelle. Oh! and yes I did find one great buy in the dealers room! (almost forgot!) a photo novel of Beowulf ..for ONE DOLLAR! And... a paperback of Anne of the Island (if you read my blog you know I just read Anne of Green Gables).. for ONE DOLLAR! Both are brand new books!

All in all.. I did have a good day! And I needed it! I can't thank Lee enough for asking me to stay and help her! What a sweetie she is. I gave her my name and address in case she ever does another show out here that she might contact me to help her again!

It was the best day I've had in a while!

Thank you Lee, and thank you Julie... and not to be forgotten thank you Michelle!! Had you not wanted that autograph I never would have gone!!

13 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

Wow. They are both still gorgeous! And I'm envious! What a great day and I'm glad you got to enjoy it!

cjh

2:39 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

What an incredible day! And I'd say your photos show THREE very lovely ladies!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

What a lovely day, I really enjoyed reading all about it. And, like Debi, I also counted *three* lovely ladies. How ancient am I that I remember those scenes from Star Trek well...

6:44 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

cj: they are incredible! I wish I had their genes!! It's not fair! lol

Hi Debi: I am in my "enjoyment eliment" when I can sit and help the celebs! It gives them more time to talk to the people buying the autographs~ and the wonderful stories I get to hear from them all when they meet the stars they have loved for so long are nothing sort of fabulous!

Hi Cath! I sure didn't expect to enjoy it so much .. I knew I needed away from the house for a bit so almost didn't care if I enjoyed it or not just as long as I was away! Like I just said above I love helping them and hearing all the stories everyone has... and they all have a story! lol I don't know what made Lee ask me if I wanted to stay and give her a hand but she made my day!!! And she is so gracious to all the people who came up to her you can't help but admire her even more than for her talent! I needed the day and it was a good day.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I would have sold my mother for a chance to meet Julie Newmar. What an astonishing woman.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

You sure seem to have a knack of getting in the right spot at the right time.

10:38 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

What a great day Pat! I'm so glad that you had a day like this and got out. I swear...they need to make a hallmark movie based on your life or something, LOL! You have the most amazing stories to tell. 2 more for the autograph books, huh?

11:42 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Great pictures Pat....And a wonderful Post about 'the day'....Lee looks astounding, doesn't she? And she has never had any help, surgically speaking, at all! While Mss Newmar...well, let's just say, she has had some help...lol!
Still, they both look WONDERFUL.
Isn't good that you had this sweet day with a very sweet person and getting away from the stress of your home situation....!
Thanks for sharing this with all of us, Pat.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Both ladies are still gorgeoous! I really love that hat :)

4:29 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Stewart: you and many other men! lol..

Pamela! Did you get your computer back?? I"ll be over to check and see if you are posting again!

Chris: Well Baby Boy.. if you go to autograph shows... you WILL meet celebs!.. and most are really nice people just like you... most.

Hi Naomi! Yep you have surrounded yourself with some really nice ladies!! What a treat to spend the time with Lee!! Before she left we got her camera out and I took a pic of her with Eric Estrada hugging her! I hope it came out!

Lady: Lee is still working hard! She said she was returning home to california to begin rehersal for a play!...

5:53 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

That sounds like a lovely day :) And Lee certainly did age well...she's so beautiful!

Those are some great finds. I'm reading Anne of the Island right now and I love it as much as the first two.

6:27 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

nymeth: I haven't found book 2 (Anne of Avonlea).. but I will ! lol

6:31 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

Lee looks fantastic! Gotta love the Catwomen! I have an autographed Julie Newmar Catwoman picture that I got at a convention in Tulsa once long ago.

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home