My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

When the Mailman Rings...Run, don't walk, to the Door

The mailman rang the doorbell... that means one thing... Amazon!

These came pretty quick! And I'm glad because two of them are follow up books to ones I've already read.


The Dragons's Lair is the third book by Elizabeth Haydon about the journals of Ven Polypheme. The first two books were enjoyable enough for me to continue the series!

The Magician ( The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel) is the second book for Michael Scott. I will admit my attraction to the first book: The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, caught my eye because I remember hearing the name Nicholas Flamel in the Harry Potter books/ movies and was curious to see how he would be used by someone else.

I remember Freaks: Alive on the Inside, was reviewed by Carl quite some time ago.. and I saw it again recently... both times interested me but when Carl did it I only added it to my wish list... this time I sent for it.

All this, and my adopted son Chris, also sent me a book I know I want to read.. (Sabriel) . but unlike some people, if the book already has the full trilogy out.. I have to have it when I begin reading... I can't read one book and then go to something totally different when I KNOW the next book is out there ! I've seen Chris not read a full trilogy when they are all available but he's not alone.. I've seen a number of people do that and I don't know how they do it! So, my next order will be for the other two books by Garth Nix. Which I hope to order before July is over.

I'm also waiting for a used book that I ordered...*groaning here*... this one I sorta blame Lee Meriwether for... but only because I totally forgot about this book called "The Other Side of Oz" by Buddy Ebsen.

On Lee's table of pictures she was selling were two photo's of her and Buddy Ebsen, one was a cast photo, they were both from Barnaby Jones, a detective series that Lee was a regular in.

I always loved Buddy Ebsen... I think from the time I remember seeing him in a black and white movie dancing with a very young Shirley Temple! Yep, ol' Jed Clampett was really a song and dance man! But we, of the older generation, knows that little fact!.. anyway, Lee mentioned the book several times while I was sitting there helping her and I made it a point to come home and go right to Amazon!... of course... it was no longer in print! Doh! So off I went searching for a really good used copy.

I have found that Amazon used books aren't always the best buy or the best condition for the price (but many are good!).. when I'm not totally happy with my findings I search on Alibris and I found a used "like new" hard back copy for 2.50 !! Yeah, I had to pay shipping, but still that came out pretty cheap! Anyway, I am really looking forward to that one, and I just received an email that it was mailed today! Cool Beans!

So I think I will read The Dragon's Lair next as I the type is a nice size and I know it will be one of those "fast reads"... by then I hope my copy of The Other Side of Oz will be here... and about then I should be able to send for the rest of the Garth Nix books!

11 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Ah, how sweet of Chris! Fine haul of loot that mailman brought!

2:20 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

debi: yes it is! He's a nurturer for sure.. even for us old folks!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Why run? The postman always rings twice. ;)

6:38 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: yeah? not mine lol.. but he leaves the box anyway.. right in front of the storm door so you have to knock the box over to get it... *sigh*

6:40 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Oh, I think you'll love Sabriel. Such a good trilogy, my fav. being the second one, Lirael, because I love the library and the dog. :-) Good choice by Chris.

Love the cover of The Magician. I saw that first book of his in Waterstones and thought about getting it. Maybe I will next time.

7:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: I think Chris knows my taste pretty well by now lol..so I fully expect to like the books!! I think after I order those that I need to ease up for Aug. and Sept... in October Inkdeath and Indigo King come out..oh dang! Sept. has Brisingr grrr well it's near the end of the month so it can wait until October too lol.. sheesh...I so need to back off for a while and maybe read a few of the chunksters I have and actually save a few dollars for the next autograph show !!(end of October)

7:23 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I just read Freaks about a month ago. VERY good book!!

10:20 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I've never read that book--"The Other Side Of Oz"...But I bet it is really a great read...! did a nice little part on "Barbaby Jones", Waaay back...In fact, my scene was with Buddy Ebson and Lee, and Jacquie Scott!! Talk about co-incidence...And then John Carter came into the scene right at the end of it. Three people that I have friendships with and all through Theatre West....How GREAT that you found a really GOOD Copy of it....! I hope you will let us know how it is....!

11:40 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Naomi: Lee totally reminded me of this book! And then I told her that on 2 ocassions when I was visiting AC Lyles on the Paramount lots Buddy Ebsen called AC while I was there and he told him, "he'd call back he had a female in his office!" (AC always made sure if you were visiting him, YOU came first... but it drove me crazy that he did that !) lol

6:05 PM  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson said...

It will be fun to read your review of Freaks. Love that book.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Kim L said...

LOVE Sabriel. I think you will like the trilogy. I have read the books twice now and both times enjoyed them. You've got a lot of things to look forward to!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home