My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

A Gift

Isn't it wonderful when a person giving a gift actually takes the time to know what would be a good gift for that person and doesn't just give any gift just to get it over with?

Well, my "adopted son", Chris, did just that!  A number of times I've mentioned that I really like Belgian SeaShells and he sent me some for Christmas!!

Mmmmmmmmmmm.. yummy!! 

I already emailed Chris and told him that my fat butt thanks him and my hips thank him and my taste buds thank him... and that the bill for the larger clothing I will need will be in the mail shortly!  heh.

Just look and drool over these wonderful babies!.. Mine! all mine!!  (but I'm sure I will give David a taste...but only a taste! hehe)

I opened my pressie from Chris when I decided to sit down and read my Christmas book of When Santa Fell to Earth.....

When Santa Fell to Earth by Cornelia Funke

Hardcover: 192 pages
Publisher: The Chicken House; 1 edition (October 1, 2006)
ISBN-10: 043978204X

From School Library Journal
The leader of the Great Christmas Council, one Gerold Geronimus Goblynch, has outlawed all of the old, magical ways. Snowmobiles have replaced reindeer, elves and angels are banned, and noncompliant Santas are turned into chocolate. Niklas Goodfellow is the last real Santa. He and his ramshackle companions–two fat angels named Matilda and Emmanuel, an invisible reindeer, and a bunch of foulmouthed elves (steaming reindeer poo!)–are hiding from the Council. Luckily, local children Ben and Charlotte and Charlotte's dog, Mutt, join forces to save Niklas from a chocolatey fate. Funke's holiday fantasy, originally published in Germany in 1994, appeals on many levels and is surprisingly fresh. Howard's charming drawings, many full page, add just the right touch. Wonderfully imaginative details, adventure, danger, and a brave young Santa who fights to preserve all that is magical and special about Christmas make this a perfect read over a mug of hot chocolate on a cold winter's night.

I sat back with two great comfort feeds... one for my mind, the other for my tummy!

The Candy was superb.. and the book was enjoyable.

I do adore Cornelia Funke.  To me she is a super story-teller.  I have read a few people who aren't taken with her books, but I'm not one of them.  I absolutely love her Inkheart series, I've enjoyed The Dragonrider , The Thief Lord and Igraine The Brave.  And now I get to add When Santa Fell to Earth.

I found this to be a very original story, filled with illustrations, and of course, well told.  It is a book for young children, but as I have found with all her books.. adults can enjoy them too!

So I want to, once again, thank Chris for my weight gain, and thank Cornelia Funke for her Christmas book.  Me, my candy and my book had a good day!

16 Comments:

Blogger My Gallery of Worlds said...

Life is to be lived and enjoyed, and I've always found that chocolate helps me enjoy life just a little bit more...lol
That was a very thoughtful gift :D

7:26 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Yaaay for Belgian chocolates and that's something else we have in common because I love the boxes of shells. And don't they look so *pretty*. Almost too good to eat. But not quite...

8:21 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

animewookie: oh yes.. once you don't give a dang anymore, chocolate gets to taste even better! LOL

Cath: Not only must we be related but I'm beginning to think we are fraternal twins separated at birth! LOL LOL

8:27 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

Sweeeeett!!!! Literally. lol I love chocolate too, those looks delish. Looks like a good book too. If I don't get back here before the Holidays, I wish you the best honey bunny!! Love you lots!!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

My mother loves those chocolates too. I, personally, think they are rather gross... I am so not a chocolate person. One of these days I need to read some more Cornelia Funke. I have only read the one book by her, but I own others.

12:13 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Shelly! I hope you have a great Christmas !!

Kailana: hey, it's not a bad thing not to like chocolate!! I wish I didn't ! lol..
I love Cornelia Funke, but there are some who don't think she's so great.. I hope I am right since you already own more of her books!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I've never heard of these before but boy they look good!!! I'm glad I'm doing a lot of baking lately or else hubby would be making a trip to the store lol.

I plan on sitting down soon and reading (some will be re-reads) all of Funke's books soon.

6:49 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Tink: ohh good, I hope you get the time to read Cornelias books!

6:51 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I'm glad you enjoyed them Pat! I looked everywhere for the Guylian brand because I know that they're your favorites, but alas I couldn't find them :( So I hope these were close to the same! They looked delicious :D

And I'm THRILLED that you enjoyed When Santa Fell to Earth! Wasn't it a great little book. I think I want to read it again as a matter of fact ;)

2:13 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Chris: it's a sin that something that good (the seashells) does things so mean to ones body!!
They are delicious! Thank you again baby boy!

5:45 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

what a lovely gift! Chocolate does make the world a much more liveable place, I've found :-) my ex-husband just brought back REAL Hershey bars made in Pennsylvania, in the foil wrapper. *sigh* I thought I'd eat a piece....uh oh, I hate the whole bar!! in one afternoon!!! it was delicious and far superior to our Hershey's chocolate up here, formerly made in Smiths Falls but now sadly closed. Chris is a great adopted son to you isn't he? books and chocolate.....

6:14 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

susan: like reading, chocolate is an addiction! sheesh lol

6:54 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Belgium seashells! You have such a sweet and thought "son" :D I love love love Belgium chocolate.

As for the book, I really enjoyed it as well. You know, if I compare the two I will say that Inkheart is a better book, yet I might have enjoyed the reading of this one more, simply because I had no expectations. Funny how that works, isn't it?

10:29 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

Er, make that "thoughtful" :P

10:30 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

always another great book!!!!
(don't smudge the pages with that chocolate. I've never had that kind.)


Now I'm cracking up here because my word verification for this is
LARDICAL

of all things

1:56 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pam: it was a cute book! and great candy! lol.. verification was close enough to lard A-- eh? lol

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home