My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Most Memorable Holiday

It's a most wonderful time of the year.......

Thursday’s Thoughts: is holding a contest entitled: Your Most Memorable Holiday.

I think that, as a child, one of the most memorable Christmas's would have to be if you received a real live puppy or kitten.  I had one of those.  I don't remember my age (CRS) but I know I was under 8 yrs old.

Our Christmas's were pretty sparse when it came to presents, since my mother was raising my brother and I all alone.  She had divorced before I had any memory of my father.  Often Christmas presents were bought at the  soda shop store in our little town, they also carried a little bit of everything that they could, including cheap toys.

This one year was different though.. I had heard my mother talking to my older brother a few times about what we weren't getting or doing for Christmas, and so I expected.. nothing.

Sometime during the night a noise woke me.  I stayed in bed (my mothers bed that I had to share with her) and tried to go back to sleep.. when the  noise happened again.  It sounded a little like a babies cry. 

Finally, I crawled out of bed and quietly tiptoed to the doorway to the livingroom, from which lights still were on.  As I peeked around the corner I saw my mother and brother giggling and something jumping all around...

It was a puppy!

My mother spotted me and realized that the puppy would no longer be a Christmas surprise and so let me into the livingroom to see the puppy.

I was in love!

It was a little brown and white puppy with curly ears and little brown spots on it's white muzzle.  She was named almost immediately.. "Freckles" !

Now.. let me tell you a little about Freckles...  the puppy was given to my mother, free.. by someone at her work, who my mom knew had a Cocker Spaniel dog... and Freckles certainly looked the part of a Cocker Spaniel.   Well..  that is.. she looked like a Spaniel until she was 6 months old, at which time she resembled her father... who was a Great Dane!

But, when it came to Christmas, the year Freckles became my Christmas Present, it was nothing less than wonderful.  I was allowed to take her to bed with me and let her sleep under the covers curled up in my arms.   No one could have given me a more memorable or wonderful Christmas Present.  She didn't cost a penny and came with plenty of love.  Somehow my mother always managed to pull off some sort of Christmas for my brother and I.

Freckles will always remain one of those very special Christmas's that I've never forgotten.  May this be a Special Christmas for everyone......

18 Comments:

Blogger Astaryth said...

My Mom always managed to get us stuff at Christmas and the house was always decorated and full of candy, fruit, and cookies. I didn't realize till I was an adult that my Mom started lay-aways in like June and paid on them a little each month... and even for the cookies and things she started buying a little extra sugar, nuts, flour way in advance and storing them up.... Looking back now from an adults perspective I am amazed. She was raising 2 kids, on her own, and working at a factory... But, Christmas was always magical.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

What a nice Christmas memory :) I can't think of a present that would beat a puppy or kitty! A nice furry creature full of love to give you.

Happy Holidays to you!

10:24 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

OMG Astaryth!.. same with my mome.. raising 2 kids alone (no financial help at all) and working in a factory!..

nymeth: yeah, it' s a gift that keeps on giving love for years to come...

10:27 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Hehe...I love the pooh animation. What a great Christmas memory! I think that's the first time that I've ever heard of a Great Dane/Cocker Spaniel mix :p I got a puppy for my birthday once and I'll never forget that one!

2:58 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

danke son! I made the pooh animation.. yeah we never heard of one either but at 6 months old the "cocker spaniel" was halfway up to my thigh ! she was a good dog though.. she'd let the cats in her doghouse so the shepard that would break his chains and come over couldn't touch the cats!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Kailana said...

You always tell such great stories! I really miss having a dog. Stories like this just make me wish I was in a position to have one again!

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great memory. I can just picture you sneaking out of bed and down the hall to find out what the noise was!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Bungeegal said...

Awesome memory, I can imagine how excited you were! By the way I've loved Winnie the Pooh always! He was my favorite stuffed animal.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

What a great memory about Christmas Pat. That candy looks good. I have not been getting any alerts from you for a good while but I see you have been posting. Google alerts just don't do a very good job. Hugs, Helen

10:25 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Aww! Great story! Freckles sounds like the most perfect gift.

11:42 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kailana: thanks kelly! glad you enjoy.

karymn: what kid didn't try to sneak a peak at least once on christmas eve??


Hi Helen: I don't use alerts I just go to all the blogs each day lol the only alerts I had used was the aol ones. I hope you are feeling better.

Hi Tink: now that i'm old they have to be super soft stuffed animals.. it's all I can afford lol

6:17 AM  
Blogger Kim L said...

What a great present and a fun memory! Freckles must have been a great dog :-)

11:01 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a sweet sweet story, Pat...I can see how Freckles would be the most precious of gifts, ever! Lucky you, and Lucky Freckles, too!

6:32 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kim: one of many loved animals over many years! lol

naomi: we are always better when we have an animal don't you think naomi? :o)

6:44 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

sweet memories of so long ago.
I love big dogs!

now days they are expensive even if free. immunizations, well check ups, license, etc etc

1:53 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Pam: I had small and big dogs along the way and I am at the age that cleaning up after the dog is more work than I want anymore lol..

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goodness... a cocker and a great dane!?! WOW!

Great story!

2:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home