My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Jackie Cooper Day on TCM

Recently I discovered a new blog (well, new to me). It's called A Novel Menagerie by Sheri. Well, Sheri has decided that along with books she reads she will do reviews of movies. In doing so she designed her own Icon for the "theater" and then will use boxes of popcorn to rate the movie (5 popcorn boxes are the most.. one the least) I thought this was really a cute idea and emailed her and asked if old movies seen on television count, and if so I'd do that when I talk of the old movies I enjoy seeing on tv. Well.. she liked it! So, as a sort of introduction to this I am reporting on some happenings on the TCM channel. I won't rate anything today but I will in the future. I wanted you all to know I will link to Sheri's blog whenever I talk of movies.

I've also found Daniel's blog, Daniel's Critical Corner, who does movie reviews and of course Ladytink, The Movieholic and Bibliophile's Blog, does too, and don't miss Kailana at The Written Word! So if you like movies of all kind you might want to check these three out and mark them in your favorites list!

Now.. on to Turner Classic Movies!.................

Once I noticed that TCM seemed to be running a group of Jackie Cooper movies I had to check on IMDb to be sure he hadn't passed away on us!.. luckily he has NOT!

As I write this, so far I've watched two Jackie Cooper movies.. Tough Guy and The Champ.

Jackie Cooper is a name that not everyone remembers. Jackie was one of many child stars, that the studio's used extensively back in the day of black and white movies. When he became older he did have a television series in the 1950's called The Peoples Choice which ran for three years, and then when he was older yet, he played Perry White in the Christopher Reeves Superman movies. It was about then he dropped out of "the biz" and hasn't been seen since. (well.. not in movies).

Although he had quite an extensive career, he seems to be one of those actors that is rarely recognized for the work he has accomplished... and he sure did a lot! Jackie Cooper appeared in 124 films, I would consider that hard to forget.

Some of his accomplishments are:

1931 Skippy : nominated best actor

1980 the White Shadow : nominated for best director

1979 won Emmy for White Shadow

1974 won Emmy for directing a MASH episode

Biography: by Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

American actor Jackie Cooper was in movies at the age of three; his father had abandoned the family when Jackie was two, forcing his mother to rely upon the boy's acting income to keep food on the table. Shortly after earning his first featured part in Fox Movietone Follies of 1929. Cooper was hired for producer Hal Roach's "Our Gang" two-reeler series, appearing in 15 shorts over the next two years. The "leading man" in many of these comedies, he was most effective in those scenes wherein he displayed a crush on his new teacher, the beauteous Miss Crabtree. On the strength of "Our Gang," Paramount Pictures signed Cooper for the title role in the feature film Skippy (1931), which earned the boy an Oscar nomination. A contract with MGM followed, and for the next five years Cooper was frequently co-starred with blustery character player Wallace Beery. Cooper outgrew his preteen cuteness by the late 1930s, and was forced to accept whatever work that came along, enjoying the occasional plum role in such films as The Return of Frank James (1940) and What a Life! (1941). His priorities rearranged by his wartime Naval service, Cooper returned to the states determined to stop being a mere "personality" and to truly learn to be an actor. This he did on Broadway and television, notably as the star of two popular TV sitcoms of the 1950s, The People's Choice and Hennessey. Cooper developed a taste for directing during this period (he would earn an Emmy for his directorial work on MASH in 1973), and also devoted much of his time in the 1960s to the production end of the business; in 1965 he was appointed vice-president in charge of production at Screen Gems, the TV subsidiary of Columbia Pictures. From the early 1970s onward, Cooper has juggled acting, producing and directing with equal aplomb. Modern audiences know Cooper best as the apoplectic Perry White in the Christopher Reeve Superman films. In 1981, Cooper surprised (and sometimes shocked) his fans with a warts-and-all autobiography, -Please Don't Shoot My Dog. Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Tough Guy 1936

The Champ with Wallace Berry. 1931

1929-1931 found Jackie Cooper in The Little Rascal Movies. Pictured here are Miss Crabtree, the teacher, with Norman "chubby" Chaney and my dear friend Echo (Dorothy DeBorba)

Cooper and Lionel Barrymore in Treasure Island. 1934

Cooper, Pat Breslin and Cleo in the television show

The People's Choice which ran from 1955-1958.

Cooper as Perry white in the Superman movies. 1978/ 1980/ 1983

While I was looking for some photo's of Jackie I came across the one below.. a priceless photo to be sure!

There are three of the child stars of long ago.. actors one and all.

(Mickey Rooney - Freddie Bartholomew - Jackie Cooper)

I love TCM for continually making me want to tell everyone about some of the movies they show. For wanting others to find these actors and actresses that many of the younger generation have never even heard of.

If any of those younger generation people consider theirselves movie buffs... well.. TCM shows the movies that you can't just go to a theater to watch, and most are not available on dvds yet (but they are working on that!).

So.. if you want to see some new but very old movies.. take the time to watch some movies on the TCM station, and get to know the actors and actresses of the past.. you just might enjoy them!

13 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

Oh, I always loved Jackie Cooper. I remember as a teenager watching "The Champ" and crying along with Jackie. I enjoyed "The People's Choice", too. Loved Cleo.

Sorry I missed Jackie on TCM.

10:05 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Donna (love the avatar! ) so many times i watch the old movies and just keep thinking how much the younger people miss by not watching the old movies and getting to enjoy so many wonderful actors and actresses from the "old days" (even before me! wow!.. well.. some lol)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

Well, I guess I am another movie person, Pat! I even added a place on my side bar for movies watched in 2009. We will have to see how successful that is!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is FANTASTIC!

My grandmother knew Darla of The Little Rascals.

I didn't know much about Jackie Cooper.

I loved the post!

Thanks for including me! It made my day!

4:22 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

kelly: I amended the post and added you in! :o)

Sheri: oh good, glad you like it. I do it now and then.. just an old movie or actor/actress sets me off on something and then I make a post of it.. but unlike your blog it isn't an "every monday" thing with me. But I will include a link to you when I make a post and let you know like I did today.

did it have to be your GRANDMOTHER who knew Darla?! LOL.. *sigh*. well I met Dorothy ( Echo) when I lived in California and helped out at an autograph show.. we are still in touch yrs. later.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I'm always checking TCM but forget to get with it and turn it on for the beginning of the movie.

I especially love the photo you found of rooney & cooper. I'm not sure I know who Freddie is.

5:18 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Hi Pam: probably the most famous movie Freddie starred in was Little Lord Fauntleroy . Great movie if you get a chance to see it!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I don't remember seeing Jackie as a child actor in anything but the minute I saw his picture as an adult I thought, 'Ah yes'. Strange when someone lives their entire life in front of the camera like that, so you can trace them from child to mature actor.

That's a cute pic of the three boys. Wasn't Freddy Bartholomew in Captains Courageous? I remember seeing that as a kid and absolutely loving it.

6:13 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: yep he was in Captains Courageous too! Actually Cooper was more famous as a child actor than as an adult one, i'm surprised you haven't see his younger movies.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

Aw thanks for the link! I think I remember Jackie Cooper from the Little Rascals movies...

8:07 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

tink: a nice group giving reviews of sorts.. I like this idea because unlike paid critics we don't have to agree with the folk who control the awards and such lol.

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW ! What a nice post ! When I saw it was about Jackie Cooper, I sort of started to flail my arms around like Kermit the Frog when he gets excited ! Pat, this article is just another reason why I LOVE your blog. LOL ! (I mentioned Jackie Cooper in my post about the eight biggest living legends from the 1930s) but I didn't go into much detail about his stellar career.

2:37 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

hi Daniel: He always seemed to be one of those actors no one remembers unless he pops up in front of your face, yet he certainly did enough movies to be remembered ! I remember his tv series of course, with Cleo the dog lol..

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home