My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Reality Leak

Reality Leak by Joni Sensel with Illustrations by Christian Slade

 

Hardcover: 224 pages
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (April 3, 2007)
ISBN-10: 0805081259

From School Library Journal
The dull town of South Wiggot gets turned upside down when the mysterious Archibald Keen appears. After he arrives in a wooden crate, opens up a factory, and makes sure the townspeople all have fillings in their teeth, strange things start happening. Eleven-year-old Bryan, with help from a girl named Spot, discovers flying dollar bills, tea bags that turn into mice, and other oddities, and then realizes that no one else even notices what's going on. With persistent curiosity and cleverness, he learns that the apparently sinister Mr. Keen is actually trying to patch a dangerous reality leak. They finally join forces to save the town, and Bryan earns a bright future as a special agent for Mr. Keen's secret organization. The boy's inner feelings about his family and his tentatively developing friendship with Spot seem tacked on at times, but add a bit of depth to the story. The bizarre occurrences are fun, and also key to the plot, as the boy tries to make sense of them all. Black-and-white illustrations provide lighthearted depictions of some of the unusual items Bryan encounters. The delicate balance between humor and pure absurdity generally works. When Bryan sees his dad's pants walking around with nobody in them, for instance, it's more weird than suspenseful, but the mystery surrounding the cause of such events should keep readers involved.–

Ok..so... my thoughts were that this would be a quick fun read..something off the wall..

well.. it was a decently quick read...

I really thought the very young silliness would give me a smile, but for whatever reason it didn't.   It seemed the more determined I got to reading this book the more it fell flat on it's face to me.

I will admit this is something to be read to young children...and maybe they will like it..but quite honestly, I didn't get it so I wonder if they would??

It's so rare for me to, at least, not say that the book is ok..  but I found little to like .  I didn't feel that I got to care about the main characters and although plugging up a reality leak is a good conception for a children's book this particular story just didn't cut it.  But maybe it will for someone else!

There wasn't all that much artwork, but that was a delight and a draw to the book that's for sure.

Recently I read A Farwalkers Quest by Joni Sensel and enjoyed that book by the same author.  I don't like giving a negative review, and obviously someone liked it enough to get published, so there will be those who will enjoy reading it, I would say for you to dig around for other reviews before making a choice.

7 Comments:

Blogger Debi said...

Well darn. I'm sorry this one fell flat for you. I definitely would have been drawn to it, too...the synopsis makes it sounds like a light, fun read that I would enjoy, and the art is wonderful. But with sooooo many books needing to be read as it is, it's kind of nice having an excuse to say "no" once in a while.

10:40 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

yeah no kidding Debi.. i just put 4 more (a series) books on my wish list! boy howdy I don't need this~ lol

10:42 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I trust your opinion. I'll never buy it for my grandkids.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Shame about this one... but the drawings are certainly individual and interesting. Maybe your grandson would like it?

12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Missed your post yesterday as I got to go and play my first full racketball night and really did enjoy it. Only doubles so far but I had a good time and my hand only was a little sore afterwards. So didn't get online yesterday as I finished working some more on my drawings. Saw all your bird photos from yesterday. Some are uniquely yours. The herons and egrets and some ducks we have here.
Sorry you didn't enjoy your book. I am starting a science fiction one called Prefect by Aliaster Reynolds. More future police sci fi and so far very good. Unfortuantely the writing is very small and the book nearly 500pgs, so this one might take me a bit since am also reading some fan fiction. Perhaps your next book will be more enjoyable. Bound to get a bummer one every now and then.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I agree with you completely. This was her first book. And I just didn't really care for it all that much. But. I really really loved her second and third books. I know you've read her third book, Farwalker's Quest. The Humming of Numbers is her second. And it was one of my favorite 2008 reads.

3:56 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

pam: I don't think they'll miss anything lol

Cath: yeah, sure can't see fault with the artist!

Hi Sher: oh good! glad to hear your hand is that much better!!

I know what you mean about small print.. sigh.. the one I am reading has the same problem..small print !

Becky: at least it's good to know she's gotten better with the writing! I saw that other book..not sure I want to go there just yet.. I have way too many in my tbr pile!!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home