My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Book Covers...

Nymeth and Chris are both holding book giveaways (you might want to hop over and put your name in!).  To enter you answer some simple but interesting questions.  One in particular that Nymeth asked got me thinking and I decided to do a post concerning her question, which was: What's your favourite book cover so far this year?

First of all I was glad she said "this year".. or we could be here a very long time!

I really think book covers are VERY important! 

They direct us to a book.

They are, most times, our only visual of what the book is about, and a good piece of artwork can draw us to a book we might not have been drawn to otherwise. 

Some artwork like The Enchanted Forest makes me look up the artist to see other things he's painted.. I am rarely, if ever, disappointed.

Some, like Graceling, my eye may catch the colors they use.

 

There are sooo many good artists showing up for YA books that it's driving me crazy!  Just look at some of these!

 

Then there are books where the cover is nice but I think it's the title that grabs me like The Sorceress. (before that one was The Alchemyst and The Magician)   And doesn't the cover of 100 cupboards make you immediately wonder what's behind all those doors?

 

 

  (This book I bought just for the cover! But the story was good too, thankfully)

Some covers grab you by color and some by the fancy writing of the title rather than a painted picture...

 

Some,  like the one below, I think I did the old, this has to be good just look at the cover!... but I couldn't get into the book , so I set it aside. In this case the cover attracted me but the book did not.

Then there are the books with covers that do absolutely nothing for the story within!  I don't care for the cover of Godmother.  Thankfully, I read reviews and took a chance and loved the book!  This proving the old adage that you can't judge a book by it's cover.... yet we do it all the time!

 

This last book cover is the only book on this post that I did NOT read this year..but have read more than once over the years.  It is  yet another example of fine art.  I love this cover.  Beside it being just a great painting it tells a lot of what the book is about, maybe a little more than the average book cover tells us.  I know I can't look at this cover for long without wanting to read the book again.. sheesh.. I just reread them last year!!

Bookcovers are a very important part of our books.  They make us pick them up and examine them to see if we might like what's inside.   It is a lucky author who gets an artist who just seems to know what should go on the cover of their book.

I am very lucky that I know two such artists who have done book covers.

Roger Kastel:... who is the artist behind the bookcover and poster for the movie Jaws...

(.. among other things.)  Who couldn't figure out what Jaws is about?  duh.

and Ken Kelly...

...who besides his famous paintings of "Kiss" the singing group, did a little cover for an "unknown character".. called Conan!

No matter how many ways I say it, it always comes out the same..

Bookcovers are very important!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Jenny said...

Well, Bird has just about the best cover ever - I want to live in that house!

I too am an inveterate books-by-their-covers judger.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Kailana said...

I put Graceling on hold at the library because of the cover. By the time I got it, though, it had been reviewed everywhere and then I really wanted to read it!

I love the cover to Bird. I actually keep thinking about buying it because of the cover, but haven't yet...

Covers are very important, that's for sure!

12:29 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

jenny: sometimes it's scarey how much the covers mean!

kelly: i love graceling..and the cover did add to it.
Bird is a very small book.. just so you know.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't usually buy books because of their covers, but at the first World Science Fiction Convention I attended, I bought a couple of prints of Michael Whelen's work. He is quite an artist. I saw Kelly Freas there as well. He did a drawing for one of the people from our club. I usually read the blurbs on the back or in the flyleaf to see if the book is going to interest me. But do love good art work as you know. Vala3

3:38 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Vala: I've liked Michael Whelen for a loooooong time. I have one of his books around here somewhere lol.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Oh great post, Pat! I'm a sucker for covers, but then I read the back of books too to see if there is a story to go along with it. What a neat, fun post....I'll have to see if I can find a post in it for me! And answer Nymeth's question.... I looked at Bird and 100 Cupboards for the same reason, their covers! but put 100 cupboards down for another day. DId you read it? is it good?

PS love the Jaws cover!

6:36 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

susan: yes i read 100 cupboards and it was very enjoyable. I read book 2 of it and it was not as good.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Ann-Kat (Today, I Read...) said...

Awesome (and detailed) post.

Not too long ago I emailed my friend asking if she knew of any blogs/websites dedicated to book cover art because it can also serve as wellsprings of inspiration. (I like to draw...lol)

Though I've never bought a book solely based on a cover (don't get me wrong, I've come very close--most I'll do is snap a quick picture if the cover copy doesn't light my fire), I flipped when I saw the "Bird" cover. That is AMAZING.

When you really think about it, it's astonishing how much goes into developing a good, captivating, and relevant cover.

By the way, I'm really curious now to see what Bird is about. LOL

9:07 PM  
Blogger Bookfool said...

You picked some good ones. I love the Graceling and Godmother book covers. Eyes Like Stars has caught my eye, also. I was so disappointed with Godmother's ending that it made me feel like the book didn't deserve its cover awesomeness, though.

9:40 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

What a great post!! I might do a covers post too :) Really enjoyed this. I think Bird is my favorite cover of all of these. I just love it...One of the best covers I've seen in a long time!! Did you buy that little poppet by the way? I need to get me one of those :p Not really...lol

12:23 AM  
Blogger Cath said...

Like everyone else I love the cover of Bird. And I have to admit to being heavily influenced by cover art when I'm buying a new book. If I'm in two minds a nice cover will often sway me.

5:57 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

ann-kat: wish I could help you with a blog that does book covers but I don't know of one. Many book blogs do talk about the artists to the covers though.

bookfool: i don't like retold fairy tales so I was surprised i liked Godmother so much.

Chris: I can't believe my comment here disappeared! grrrr nope didn't get the poppet, though I love it dearly (both the reading ones are great)..just can't afford them :o(


Cath: yes the cover often is a contributing factor somewhere along the line! It's funny covers were made to protect the oil in your hands from the books..but anymore I take them off while reading to keep the artwork from getting ruined!!

8:44 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

I so agree, Pat.....And sometimes we don't think about the Cover being so important--But they do attract they eye--or not! The JAWS Poster was truly Brilliant, in every way....That the Shark is going upwards like that.....Scary!
Do Book Cover Artists get much recognition? One would hope so. Like the Emmys or The Oscars....There should be Awards for Book Cover Artists. I know there are Awards for Film Posters, etc. but I don't know about Books.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I just adore these covers!!! Sometimes I can ignore an ugly cover but for a first time read nothing can pull me in faster than a cover that I want to look at over and over again.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home