My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Looking Up ... and Down

 When I looked outside about 8 am I noticed, what I call, a ghost moon, and stepped outside to snap a photo.. or two.

It seems to my left was fairly blue sky with the ghost of a moon

I think something caught my eye and I looked to the left... and there was a big old Rainbow!   I can't remember the last one I saw.. I know it wasn't here in Florida which is surprising giving how much and how often it rains here!

I had brought some bread out with me (naturally) and had given it to the Moorhens but I wasn't going to take pictures today of them.. but at the last moment I did snap this one shot... just like a kid... giving his mama grief!

Later in the day........... there was a knock on my door and our maintenance man, Mark, called me outside to see something...

Look at this!

It's the first time I've seen a turtle, from the pond, on land!  How strange that would happen so soon after I took that picture of the turtle nose in the pond! It's hard to tell in the photo.. they were quite large turtles!

After I took this photo of Woody (above) one of the people living here talked to me and told me that last year there were several Wood storks that stayed at the pond all winter!

I am just fascinated at how they stir up the bottom and then find what they want to eat for such big birds... and the fact that their feel are the color of human skin and even look "human"!

Below is one of the trees around the pond (which I have yet to find anyone who know what type of tree this is.)..  we have a lot of Spanish Moss that grows over all of them to some degree

That's all there is for today from the Pond.

If God wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my
knees.

10 Comments:

Blogger Donna. W said...

You sure do an excellent job of picture-taking!

8:10 AM  
Blogger DesLily said...

thanks Donna!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

If I lived there, I'm not sure I could get anything done! I just love your pond...it seems like both a lively and a soothing place.

If you feel like it, e-mail me a closer-up pic of that tree's needles/leaves. Rich knows his trees pretty well, and he'd be happy to identify it if he can. He said the bark definitely looks cypress-y, but a photo of the needles would help him confirm.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos. Great shot of the rainbow. I see a lot of rainbows here but haven't photographed one. Saw a beautiful rainbow cloud over the Keys once. People were stopping their cars to take pictures of it. Only seen that twice.
Have a ton of spanish moss on the trees around here. Must be a boom year for it. Kind of a nuicance though. Vala

3:05 PM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

Love the pics as always Pat! And a rainbow!! I haven't seen rainbows in ages!!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

Lovely moon shots and rainbows, or 'bainbows' as my grandson calls them. Always love your photos, Pat.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Helen said...

I have to say it again. Great photos Pat. That youngster looks to be taller than the moorhen now. I saw several pictures in someone's blog the other day of a turtle who has a nose like a hog. It looked really weird. I have never seen one like that before. Helen

7:32 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

I love those moons! I used to make up stories about what it was and why it was out in the daytime when I was a kid. Pretty rainbow too :)

11:54 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

vala: we have to get you posting photo's!

Chris: me either! I was shocked to see it! and then I thought, I can't believe this is the first one i've seen with all the rain that happens here!

thanks Cath. i guess you can tell i like taking pictures if for no other reason than to see if they come out well lol

Helen i followed the link you sent lol.. they are ugly turtles! lol

well you are in the right company now Tink for that rainbow story to be told

6:15 AM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Beautiful Pictures Pat....The Ghost Moon is just lovely and The Rainbow....So very pretty...Gorgeous Sky, too....
And your dear Pond Birds...WONDERFUL! And now a Turtle or two, too! Glorious Nature!

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home