My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

My Cousin Rachel

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier

Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Sourcebooks Landmark (March 1, 2009)
ISBN-10: 1402217099

 

From Library Journal
This 1951 story is told by young protagonist Philip Ashley, who is cast together with Rachel, his uncle's widow, whom he comes to suspect might have played a role in the man's demise. Is Philip next?

I was a bit surprised at this book.. yet I can't really say what, if anything, I expected.  Oh.. wait.. maybe I can..I expected a mystery.

I found the writing in this book to be excellent.  I did enjoy reading the book.  While it didn't captivate me to the extent some others have I found it to be comforting?  I felt as if I was reading an old friend, yet I wasn't.  What I didn't get from this book was enough "mystery".

While a small spark is set to make you wonder about Rachel (is she or is she not evil?) a very large portion of this book is a falling in love for the first time story... with a little nag at the back of your mind as to what sort of person is Rachel? 

There were times in the story when I felt like slapping Philip and telling him to wake up and smell the roses.  But I will admit.. ignorance is bliss!

Near the end of the book something is said that you jump on and figure "utoh this is going to lead somewhere"... and you will be right.  I am not good at guessing endings but this one was easy to surmise... and somewhat unfulfilling.  I did want to know more about Rachel.

I would say this is an enjoyable read.  An easy read.  A quick read.  But it did leave me thinking I wanted to know more than I did.

This is my 7th read for the RIP IV Challenge.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cath said...

It's so odd that this is one of DdM's well known books but I've never had any idea what it's about. LOL. I'll try it one day but I really want to read Rebecca first. Seven books for RIP, so far, is really good, Pat. I'm just reading my fifth.

11:28 AM  
Blogger chrisa511 said...

I have this one sitting on my shelf to be read! I've only read Rebecca by DuMaurier, but I'm dying to read more of her stuff after that book. I have Tales of the Macabre that Debi sent me and that one just looks fantastic!! Maybe I'll dig into that for some short, spooky stories :)

2:04 PM  
Blogger DesLily said...

Cath: she writes very comfortable, you have no trouble reading or pronouncing things ..this is a good story.. but I think I wanted more from it.

Chris: This one doesn't come near the quality of Rebecca. I want to read another of hers sometime.. I did Rebecca last year and this one I found at B&N when david was still alive.. actually he spotted it and told me to go look and of course I got it lol.. duh..

4:12 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Hey, I got this off B&N's bargain book table last year, too. But honestly, I'm not even sure if it's a book for me. I do know that I really, really want to read Rebecca one of these days though!

9:59 AM  
Blogger Ana S. said...

I'm sorry to hear that the mystery wasn't as satisfying as it could have been...but I think I'd enjoy it for the writing alone!

7:15 PM  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This was a movie too, if I am remembering correctly....! Look it up on IMDB.com....!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Ladytink_534 said...

The premise does sound a bit like a mystery so that would irritate me too. Glad you enjoyed it anyway :)

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home