My Photo
Name:
Location: Vero Beach, Florida, United States

My name is Pat and I live in Florida. My skin will never be smooth again and my hair will never see color. I enjoy collecting autographs and playing in Paint Shop Pro.,along with reading and writing. Sometimes, I enjoy myself by doing volunteer "work" helping celebrities at autograph shows. I love animals and at one time I did volunteer work for Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.

Paperback: 290 pages
Publisher: Dial Press (May 5, 2009)
ISBN-10: 1448730686



Amazon Review:

“I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.” January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she’s never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb. . . .

As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends—and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.

Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society’s members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever.
Written with warmth and humor as a series of letters, this novel is a celebration of the written word in all its guises and of finding connection in the most surprising ways.

 I needed a short bread from Monk!  But I am going right back to him starting today  :)
I love this book!  It is the third time I have read it over the years. 

The book is written in the form of letters from Guernsey to Juliet, a book writer. You get the feeling of looking into others lives during a time no one should have to go through.  By mid book, you are totally invested in the people of the Island and feel as if you have lived their lives with them.

I don't want to say a lot... just... if you read this book I doubt you will be disappointed.

3 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

I just reread this book, too, and loved it even more this time.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I liked it a lot. I think o saw there's a movie of it now.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

I think it's time I reread the book also. Can't remember an awful lot about it.

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home